OK, remember when trump said he could shoot someone, and his supporters wouldn't care?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This poll is disturbing! As far as accuracy goes I can tell you I have had a number of Trump supporters
telling me I need to die as I am too expensive to treat. Others have said if they were my employer I would have been gone the day after they found out I had cancer. Then we have the Patriots who tell me
that we all need to make sacrifices to help make America great again & I shouldn't be so
Selfish and shoukd just die for the good of the country.

And don't get me started on the Jesus people, dying in agony is " God's plan" for me
" accept your suffering as an honor to be closer to God" Also, apparently if I accept Christ
MD prescribed pain relief won't be needed either.
It is of little comfort but I truely belive that outing these voices are of greatest importance cause it shows what we as a society, species, needs to weed out and form our morality in opposition to. And we will.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It is of little comfort but I truely belive that outing these voices are of greatest importance cause it shows what we as a society, species, needs to weed out and form our morality in opposition to. And we will.

“This is the age of the shrug. He knows I've heard all of the stories about him and he doesn't care. Our civilization could well die of indifference within it before succumbing to external attack.”

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
And you actually trust that poll?
Really?

You need only look up and see who our President is to believe that poll. We ignore its sentiment at our peril.

There were plenty of good Germans who didn't take Adolf seriously enough until it was too late. Yeah, things are so bad here that Godwin his own damn self would issue a waiver to his law for this present set of circumstances.

Sadly, almost unbelievably, it is no exaggeration to say that our republic and the very institutions that are its bedrock are under siege from a mouth breathing proto-facist (who loves military parades and doesn't believe the rule of law applies to him or his spawn) and his band of Bannon-level enablers.

Meanwhile, the protectors of our 1%, just like the industrialists in 1930s Germany, think they can ride this rude ignoramus from the outer boroughs (read Austria) to further riches.

The manipulatively cynical call has gone out to our economically disenfranchised, Make Deutschland Great Again! Throw the Mexican immigrant or the Muslim family come for a better life down the well! And while we're at it, more tax cuts for the rich!

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

I firmly believe in order to make my voice heard in social media I must be respectful & I am. No name calling, no insults on physical appearance. When these people message me I just tell them that I pray that they & their families remain young & healthy.

This doesn't always work but many a time a person has come back to actually speak civilly with me & I use that opportunity to do a bit of education. So many are ill imformed about what ACA repeal will do to them that it's shocking.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And you actually trust that poll?
Really?
The answer is yes because of two reasons...

1. No one has provided any factual evidence why the poll is wrong or can't be trusted.

2. You like so many people here continue support the fist President in the history of this country who has publicly stated his supporters are fine with him murdering someone on the street.

Now if you care to refute either #1 #2, I'm all ears

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Religion is the oldest form of control over a population. Lifelong service for payment in the afterlife.

How different is that vs 72 virgins that Jihadists are promised?

And you wonder why I call them Conservaterrorists.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Strange that a presidential candidate can talk hypothetically about shooting someone on the street, but anyone else openly talking hypothetically about shooting a presidential candidate / nominee would probably get a visit from FBI or Secret Service agents and be detained for a while.

How in the %$#@ing %$#@ did this country elect him?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Strange that a presidential candidate can talk hypothetically about shooting someone, but anyone else openly talking hypothetically about shooting a presidential candidate / nominee would probably get a visit from FBI or Secret Service agents and be detained for a while.

How in the %$#@ing %$#@ did this country elect him?
Rules only apply to plebes.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I firmly believe in order to make my voice heard in social media I must be respectful & I am. No name calling, no insults on physical appearance. When these people message me I just tell them that I pray that they & their families remain young & healthy.

This doesn't always work but many a time a person has come back to actually speak civilly with me & I use that opportunity to do a bit of education. So many are ill imformed about what ACA repeal will do to them that it's shocking.
another thing to consider is emergence of maoa gene profiles and kin. pr definition those are the kind of ppl you will be engaging with and no amount of education will yield an response of empathy where there is none. Is it about 5% of us that is broken in this regard?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
The Cons chanted "he rules like a king" about Obama so much, I think they actually believe the president is supposed to rule like a king

After giving the greatest speech ever made on foreign soil it's hard to blame them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I guess it's no surprise that religious belief and Trump supporting show a strong correlation: You get pledge your alliegance to something and not try too hard to think about what it says about you (because as you say, there's an awful lot of BS), to disown the bits that don't suit your position at any given moment, and disparage others based on the bits that do suit you.
Easy to see why you are confused. You look at the world through your belief system without consideration of how others may see it. Try this:

The world is locked in a cataclysmic struggle between good and evil, between God and salvation and Satan and damnation, with Godly Republicans and Satanic atheist Democrats on those respective sides, In such a war a defective believer is worth millions of demons and must be protected at all costs. There is simply too much at stake, so much so in fact, that the ends justify the means.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The answer is yes because of two reasons...

1. No one has provided any factual evidence why the poll is wrong or can't be trusted.

2. You like so many people here continue support the fist President in the history of this country who has publicly stated his supporters are fine with him murdering someone on the street.

Now if you care to refute either #1 #2, I'm all ears

Well I would not support anyone killing or hurting anyone for any reason other than protecting yourself, others or your property. There is no way that those poll numbers would hold up to reality.

What is a fist president?

Anybody that took his comment seriously and not as an exaggeration are really naive.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Of course, only one US President has bragged while running for President that he could fucking murder someone in public and not lose a vote.

So, while partisanship surely exists, let's not pretend that BothSidesDoIt™.

Although they may not all have bragged about it, all recent presidents have ACTUALLY murdered people in public. Just in other countries. With bombs. In their homes. With their children. At weddings. At funerals. On freeways. In schools. The wrong people. The right people. Each president has actually murdered people, but bragging about the possibility of doing it is apparently what you think makes it evil. Freaking weirdo. But yeah, let's cynically condescend to people who notice it with trademarked BothSidesDoIt labels, because those are super funny and automatically show the person who observes it happening to be ultra wrong.

Reactions: disappoint and pmv

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Although they may not all have bragged about it, all recent presidents have ACTUALLY murdered people in public. Just in other countries. With bombs. In their homes. With their children. At weddings. At funerals. On freeways. In schools. The wrong people. The right people. Each president has actually murdered people, but bragging about the possibility of doing it is apparently what you think makes it evil. Freaking weirdo. But yeah, let's cynically condescend to people who notice it with trademarked BothSidesDoIt labels, because those are super funny and automatically show the person who observes it happening to be ultra wrong.

The US government commits Drone Terrorism in other countries, I'm well aware and am firmly against it.

That said, Clinton didn't say that she was going to go out onto a street in New York City and personally fucking shoot someone. And brag that her right-wing authoritarian followers are so disgusting that they'd still go and vote for her.

If you don't see a clear breach in human decency with a candidate bragging about being able to murder someone on the street and still getting a vote, then you're awareness of world history is either lacking, or you're so attached to the BothSidesDoIt™ concept that you'll overlook a candidate for President bragging about being able to murder someone in public. Freaking weirdo.

So, again, BothSidesDoIt™ does not apply to Strongman Trump bragging about being able to murder someone on the street in New York City and still getting voted in by imbeciles, and the fact that the US government commits what the US government would consider international terrorism if, for example, a country like Yemen operated death robots over US airspace, rather than vice versa.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
These yours?

51Z4KShbSUL._SX355_.jpg

What are those? Are they candy? They look absolutely delicious don't they? They also look an awful lot like ammunition to hate the other side with. Otherwise known as candy for the hateful. Now which do you suppose lost their marbles more, the beings that crave any bit of information they can use to hate with even if it's untrue or the beings that don't?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You should question all polls that show insane things period.

There's a difference between "question" (which IMO in this context ought to mean 'critically analyse') and "assert to be wrong because it doesn't suit one's worldview".

In this thread you have not once supplied any evidence base or logical justification for your assertion. You could have a shot at some critical analysis (for example, Victorian Gray made a pretty important point on the first page of this thread even though I'm pretty sure that the poll's result is likely compatible with VG's world view), or you could just keep bleating "it's stupid! you're stupid" and attempting to be the arbiter of BS and truth based on nothing at all.

If you need help understanding the point that VG made (AFAIK it's best critical argument of the poll), here's a video that explains it pretty concisely:

However, as potent an argument as that is (if the full poll data is not sufficient to counter it), even that pales in comparison to the fact that this presidential candidate is so in love with his own popularity (and I doubt that even you would question that) that he would joke that it would be unaffected even if he shot a random person, and yet his supporters still voted for him. Premiers should never joke about killing people, it's bad form for one who wishes to wield executive power to make light of such use of power: at best a significant amount of people will (likely) rightly take offence, in a worse case scenario it might inspire one of their unhinged supporters to actually kill someone, and in the worst case scenario Trump's love for his own popularity might one day influence him to actually do such a deed.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
The results of this poll seems to show a very serious hatred for the rich since that is what most people think of when 5th Avenue is mentioned.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Well I would not support anyone killing or hurting anyone for any reason other than protecting yourself, others or your property. There is no way that those poll numbers would hold up to reality.

What is a fist president?

Anybody that took his comment seriously and not as an exaggeration are really naive.

True.
As well as those who took other comments seriously, such as: Build the wall, lock her up, make America great again, Repeal NAFTA, repeal and replace Obamacare...well you get the picture.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And that was also a stupid poll.
So any poll that might indicate a level of insanity by a group is not to be trusted on its face. I bet if you go back to 1945 and ask conservatives is it justified infecting black males unknowingly with a disease so we can study its effects I would bet 30% would say its ok. I also guess you would have said eh that's a nonsense poll.

I also find it odd that someone who has any level of morality would think its fine for the leader of the free world to joke in public about killing people. I guess I was wrong