** OK Radeon owners I REALLY need your help and input !! **

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conlan

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
hmmmmmmm , looks like poor ATI has taken 3dfx place in the if its not a NVIDIA its crap category . look no product is perfect , some folks are going to have probs , some not , sometimes its the products fault sometimes not , if you wanna judge product history , consider AMD , if no one gave them a second chance where would we all be today? besides this is why companies have warranties and customer support departments

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000

<< Taz, Comp10, and oldfart are not the only happy Radeon campers...more here. >>

Wow! I'm not the only one! ;)

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
Do you EVER give up or is this your mission. Many of those people still regard ATI the way they were in the MAXX days. If it didn't work out for you too bad, get over it, works great for most people. Has this become your purpose in life to slag a card YOU couldn't get working?

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
What's wrong Taz, did I upset you? It's cool dude; it's not my mission in life to put a beat down on this card. I'm moving on now. Your right, no card is perfect :)

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
I think ATI's cards are like Macs. They have their niche like Apple computers do (graphics artists, music producers, video editing etc.) but on the whole, Mac's lack a lot of versatility and support for a lot of what other professionals require. The same can be said about ATI. They are nice for games, DVD playback and basic 2D. But ask a professional PC user what kind of video card they would like in their computer and any knowledgable person will ask for NVIDIA. Look around. Do you think Gateway, Dell, HP, IBM, Compaq, Apple, SGI, Sony etc. would make their systems standard with NVIDIA if ATI were truly better overall. Can all of those companies be wrong?

&quot;besides this is why companies have warranties and customer support departments &quot;
Conlan, have you ever actually tried contacting ATI? Call them up and then stay on hold for at least 45 minutes (maybe longer) on a phone call which you are paying (they do not have a toll free number setup). Then try emailing them because you are tired of being on hold and then get disappointed because they won't return your emails. This is a known issue with ATI.

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
Here is a quote from someone from that link on Rage3d's forum that someone else provided so that you won't think I am actually making this up (I have tried many times to reach ATI, never had success).

&quot;ATI support did not respond to my e-Mails AT ALL,
there is next to nothing in terms of knoledge base
on their site and you cant talk one to one with
a tech support person to save your life.

I was used to Matrox, they have the best tech support
hand down, point blank, period. I have never talked
more that 15min to Matrox's techs, they always have
the answer. &quot;

&quot;My Rad64 gives me just enough trouble to keep me interested, so I guess I'm as happy as a gopher in soft dirt.

Though ATI as a company still tends to bum me out. &quot;

And Taz, BlvdKing is not the only person who has had Win2K problems. Other people in the same link have had Win2K problems, even Windows 9x problems. And they seem to thank Rage3D for fixing alot of their problems, not ATI. Through file swapping, registry editing and updating drivers, most of them finally got their ATI video cards working. That is fine for most people on this board however an average end user doesn't know all of this and if they must rely on ATI to provide them with the technical support they need, then they are in serious trouble. Not that I think that ATI's Radeon is a bad card. I just hate it when Radeon fans blame errors on the users and not ATI because they are so in love with the Radeon.

conlan

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
>>>>>>Conlan, have you ever actually tried contacting ATI? Call them up and then stay on hold for at least 45 minutes (maybe longer) on a phone call which you are paying (they do not have a toll free number setup). Then try emailing them because you are tired of being on hold and then get disappointed because they won't return your emails. This is a known issue with ATI.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
nope , i gotta admit ive never tried , so ill humbly take your point . BTW i WASNT bashing NVIDIA , i think they are a great company with great products , hell id love to be able to afford a ge-force ultra , however i am tired of seeing this if its not NVIDIA its crap attitude . when we bash a company into oblivion we only serve to weaken our own cause . do you think if AMD hadnt started spanking intel last year that we would be seeing the awesome processors we are now? of course not . all i was trying to say is that competition is good for us all .

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Add me to list of Radeon supporters w/ Taz and Comp10...

I have a Radeon 64 on a KT7-RAID running win98se...never a single problem! Runs fast and beautiful baby!!

I have a AIW Radeon on a KT7-RAID running win2000...proper setup took some tweaks but it running perfect...no crashes...and game speed is maybe 5-8% slower than my win98 system and that's a BIG maybe. And all the features are functional.

I'm sorry to hear about peoples problems, I really am... but the Radeon doesn't have any more problems on KT chipsets than nVIDIA's do. Most all Card/KT MB combo's take some minor tweaking to get stable/peak performance... Geforce's do not run stable on many KT boards without some BIOS tweaks, does that make GF2's sucky cards? NO.

Although I must say this... unless you really need win2000 for one reason or another don't run 2000. It is a superior OS, no argument from me there, but most of us don't need it.

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah. As a consumer, I think we should expect good updated drivers, good customer support and good overall performance and compatibility. Any problems that ATI users have are generally labled as end users errors by ATI fans, especially by Taz. Any problems with NVIDIA's cards are labeled as problems with NVIDIA's buggy drivers by ATI fans. I think that is really unfair.

Personally, I would have rather had 3dfx and NVIDIA be one of the last video card companies, and not ATI because I have given ATI so many chances and hard earned money and had to many problems with no such technical support. What can you do though? My current Geforce 2 Pro has made me very very happy with all of my games and applications so I have no desire to go back to Radeon at this time. But I might still give ATI's next generation of chips a try. I still would really like to have an AIW card in my computer. If they can come out with one with at least Geforce 2 Ultra speeds, then that would make me happy, especially if by then, their drivers are better with workstation applications and Linux and D3D games (the last of which I believe they have made much improvements since their previous drivers).

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Let me also add this though...

ATI needs to work on technical support, that's for sure. But, user to user support for Radeons, at least, is pretty good thanks to guys like Taz.

nVIDIA's tech support is pretty bad though too. You may be able to get hold of someone but they have generally been completely ignorant (in my limited experience) in comparsion to user-to-user support. So as far I'm concerned they are on par with one another...I won't call either of them... I'll try my luck with forum's and 3rd party websites.

My friend got his Ultra a while back and slapped onto his KT7...artifacts crashes all over the place!!! (I'm exagerating a little here) The tech support guy, or any guy in the office apparently, had no clue that this problem even existed. Did my friend ever even hear back about the problem...of course not. Latter that evening on the web...my friend came across the fix for the problem...the manual AGP setting to 64 or something like that (I don't remember)...problem solved!!

PS - This friend is now running a Radeon 64 in win2000...on a PIII/intel i815 though.:)

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Let me also add this...(damn I'm long winded!!)

No one has a good SLI (dual processor) setup in the PC world... not Intel, not AMD, not ATI, not 3dfx, no one. Several companies have stable &quot;SMP&quot;/SLI/multiprocessor solution... but they all perform well under theoretical capability. So don't bag ATI for the MAXX...at least they tried. True SMP/SLI/whateveryouwantocallit is incredibly difficult to implement.

I only know of one software/driver development group that currently has fully capable SMP/multi-processor technology for device drivers and applications...that would be a small company in SoCal by the name of z-force, formerly known as Object Dynamics. I hope they don't mind this shameless plug:eek:.

&quot;So your saying Intel and all those others can't get it right, but this little company can?!!&quot;

That's what I'm saying. The founder and top guys at this small company are amazingly intelligent and experienced and have developed their own software engineering methodologies that are truly revolutionary. And I'll not bother to prove myself...the evidence is out there. And I don't work for them... one of my friends does.

JMorton10

Aug 16, 2000
Another happy Radeon user here. I had plenty of driver issues with this card when I got it &amp; even thought of dumping it on e-bay.

I'm damn glad I didn't however. I build custom computers in my side business &amp; get to try all the latest hardware.

I had a Geforce Ultra in my system for three days last week. It was definitely faster that the Radeon, (a LOT faster in some cases), but speed isn't everything to me.

I'm running a 1250mhz T-Bird in an all scsi system, dual booting W2K &amp; Win98SE. I use Win98 for games &amp; W2K for absolutely everything else. The Radeon works perfectly with the latest drivers &amp; is plenty fast enough. The Radeon blows away any nVidia card in image quality on my G500 Sony Trinitron. The only card that was comparable in image quality was the Matrox G400 Max that I used to have.

In the last year I have had a V5 5500, the G400 Matrox, a DDR Geforce &amp; a Geforce2 gts in this system. I prefer the Radeon to anything else available right now.

Equinoxe

Jan 30, 2001
Oh well, I have an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon running with Win98SE+DX8+AK72+Athlon K7 (&quot;classic&quot;), and believe me, even the tech support guys at ATI doesn't know how to solve my problems (mostly related to video capture, but also to 3D, I just can't play any 3D game in something better that 800x600 with my Acer 11D (my Sony 17'' just burned :( )). I guess it's a driver problem, and the drivers from ATI are known to be bad :(

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
What the heck, I have a few spare minutes so I'll add yet another to this thread. I'm no ATI or any other fanboy. I'll buy whatever there is that is the best card out there for my $$ at the time. This is my first ATI card. I've had 3D cards from Rendition, Nvidia, 3dfx, and now ATI. I was pretty happy with every one of them. I've had 2D cards from many others. When I upgraded from my V3 3K, I was all set to buy a GF2. There were quite a few people that warned me not to get one because of the 2D problems. My PC spends at least 90% of its time in 2D land, so this was a major concern. I do love my 3D shooters so 3D was also very important. I ruled out the V5 5500 because of the heat it generated. I won't have a loud PC anymore. Got tired of that. That left the Radeon. I always heard the driver complaints, but gave it a shot anyway. I am completely happy with the card. The install was simple. Put the card in, install the drivers, play some games. I've been though every version of driver that has been out. None of them sucked. Each has worked just fine. These are the games I play:
Q2
Q3A
Q3A/TA
Unreal
UT
HL
HL/OF
HL/CS
STVEF
Rouge Spear
NOLF
Serious Sam Demo

Please forgive all the acronyms. I'm sure most people know what they are. These are all of the games I own/play. Everyone of them works perfectly. Fast, smooth, great quality. No complaints. The only small issue I have seen is with the LOKI hack for OpenGL S3TC. There is a texture problem that is corrected in the latest drivers, but causes a crash on launch. UT smokes in D3D on this card, so its not a big deal.

This is why I get tired of seeing people in here bashing the card. It may not be perfect. No card is. I agree with conlan. Seems as soon as 3dfx was out of the way, the &quot;if its not Nvidia its crap&quot; moved on to ATI. The Radeon is a very nice card at a great price to boot. There are certain chipsets that have a very long history of video card and soundcard incompatibilities. Nothing new there. 815 or BX, put it in, it works, end of story. I plan on doing the Win2k upgrade soon (if I can ever get the time). I do have a co-worker that got a new DELL last week that came with a Radeon, Win2K, and a 19&quot; Trinitron. He is very happy with it, but is not a gamer. I plan on fixing that :). I want to get over to his place and check it out and introduce him to some cool games. This will also give me a chance to check out the Win2k performance.

My next card? Don't know yet. NV20 looks awesome. Price and 2D quality is a concern. We'll have to see. Radeon2? Haven't seem enough info on it yet. I'll make the decision once they are out.

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
Equinox,
I installed XFree86 4.0.2 and have run the configuration utility XFree86 -configure. I have also edited the file generated using vim to get the settings just right. When I type 'startx' my monitor restarts and then I get a blank screen. Nothing will get me out of it, ctrl-alt-bksp does nothing as well as ctrl-alt-del. It's a hard lockup. My XF86Config is as follows:

# File generated by xf86config.

#
# Copyright (c) 1999 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the &quot;Software&quot;),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED &quot;AS IS&quot;, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
# this file.

# Module section -- this section is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
#
Section &quot;Module&quot;

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load &quot;dbe&quot; # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
SubSection &quot;extmod&quot;
Option &quot;omit xfree86-dga&quot; # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
Load &quot;type1&quot;
Load &quot;freetype&quot;

# This loads the GLX module
# Load &quot;glx&quot;

EndSection

# Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set

Section &quot;Files&quot;

# The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like &quot;.txt&quot; or &quot;.db&quot;). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

RgbPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb&quot;

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
# If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and emacs, Mosaic or other
# programs take long to start up, try moving the Type1 and Speedo directory
# to the end of this list (or comment them out).
#

FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/&quot;
FontPath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/&quot;

# The module search path. The default path is shown here.

# ModulePath &quot;/usr/X11R6/lib/modules&quot;

EndSection

# Server flags section.

Section &quot;ServerFlags&quot;

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received. This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

# Option &quot;NoTrapSignals&quot;

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

# Option &quot;DontZap&quot;

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences. This allows clients to receive these key events.

# Option &quot;Dont Zoom&quot;

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

# Option &quot;DisableVidModeExtension&quot;

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

# Option &quot;AllowNonLocalXvidtune&quot;

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

# Option &quot;DisableModInDev&quot;

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

# Option &quot;AllowNonLocalModInDev&quot;

EndSection

# Input devices

# Core keyboard's InputDevice section

Section &quot;InputDevice&quot;

Identifier &quot;Keyboard1&quot;
Driver &quot;Keyboard&quot;
# For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to &quot;Standard&quot;).
# When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
# uncomment the following line.

# Option &quot;Protocol&quot; &quot;Xqueue&quot;

Option &quot;AutoRepeat&quot; &quot;500 30&quot;

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option &quot;Xleds&quot; &quot;1 2 3&quot;

# Option &quot;LeftAlt&quot; &quot;Meta&quot;
# Option &quot;RightAlt&quot; &quot;ModeShift&quot;

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option &quot;XkbModel&quot; &quot;pc102&quot;
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option &quot;XkbModel&quot; &quot;microsoft&quot;
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option &quot;XkbLayout&quot; &quot;de&quot;
# or:
# Option &quot;XkbLayout&quot; &quot;de&quot;
# Option &quot;XkbVariant&quot; &quot;nodeadkeys&quot;
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option &quot;XkbOptions&quot; &quot;ctrl:swapcaps&quot;

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
# Option &quot;XkbRules&quot; &quot;xfree86&quot;
# Option &quot;XkbModel&quot; &quot;pc101&quot;
# Option &quot;XkbLayout&quot; &quot;us&quot;
# Option &quot;XkbVariant&quot; &quot;&quot;
# Option &quot;XkbOptions&quot; &quot;&quot;

# Option &quot;XkbDisable&quot;

Option &quot;XkbRules&quot; &quot;xfree86&quot;
Option &quot;XkbModel&quot; &quot;pc101&quot;
Option &quot;XkbLayout&quot; &quot;us&quot;

EndSection

# Core Pointer's InputDevice section

Section &quot;InputDevice&quot;

# Identifier and driver

Identifier &quot;Mouse1&quot;
Driver &quot;mouse&quot;
Option &quot;Protocol&quot; &quot;IntelliMouse&quot;
Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/mouse&quot;

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

# Option &quot;Protocol&quot; &quot;Xqueue&quot;

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

# Option &quot;BaudRate&quot; &quot;9600&quot;
# Option &quot;SampleRate&quot; &quot;150&quot;

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

Option &quot;Emulate3Buttons&quot;
# Option &quot;Emulate3Timeout&quot; &quot;50&quot;

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

# Option &quot;ChordMiddle&quot;

EndSection

# Other input device sections
# this is optional and is required only if you
# are using extended input devices. This is for example only. Refer
# to the XF86Config man page for a description of the options.
#
# Section &quot;InputDevice&quot;
# Identifier &quot;Mouse2&quot;
# Driver &quot;mouse&quot;
# Option &quot;Protocol&quot; &quot;MouseMan&quot;
# Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/mouse2&quot;
# EndSection
#
# Identifier &quot;spaceball&quot;
# Driver &quot;magellan&quot;
# Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/cua0&quot;
# EndSection
#
# Identifier &quot;spaceball2&quot;
# Driver &quot;spaceorb&quot;
# Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/cua0&quot;
# EndSection
#
# Identifier &quot;touchscreen0&quot;
# Driver &quot;microtouch&quot;
# Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/ttyS0&quot;
# Option &quot;MinX&quot; &quot;1412&quot;
# Option &quot;MaxX&quot; &quot;15184&quot;
# Option &quot;MinY&quot; &quot;15372&quot;
# Option &quot;MaxY&quot; &quot;1230&quot;
# Option &quot;ScreenNumber&quot; &quot;0&quot;
# Option &quot;ReportingMode&quot; &quot;Scaled&quot;
# Option &quot;ButtonNumber&quot; &quot;1&quot;
# Option &quot;SendCoreEvents&quot;
# EndSection
#
# Identifier &quot;touchscreen1&quot;
# Driver &quot;elo2300&quot;
# Option &quot;Device&quot; &quot;/dev/ttyS0&quot;
# Option &quot;MinX&quot; &quot;231&quot;
# Option &quot;MaxX&quot; &quot;3868&quot;
# Option &quot;MinY&quot; &quot;3858&quot;
# Option &quot;MaxY&quot; &quot;272&quot;
# Option &quot;ScreenNumber&quot; &quot;0&quot;
# Option &quot;ReportingMode&quot; &quot;Scaled&quot;
# Option &quot;ButtonThreshold&quot; &quot;17&quot;
# Option &quot;ButtonNumber&quot; &quot;1&quot;
# Option &quot;SendCoreEvents&quot;
# EndSection

# Monitor section

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section &quot;Monitor&quot;

Identifier &quot;My Monitor&quot;

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

HorizSync 30 - 54

# HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
# HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
# HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

VertRefresh 50-120

EndSection

# Graphics device section

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Standard VGA Device:

Section &quot;Device&quot;
Identifier &quot;Standard VGA&quot;
VendorName &quot;Unknown&quot;
BoardName &quot;Unknown&quot;

# The chipset line is optional in most cases. It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

# Chipset &quot;generic&quot;

# The Driver line must be present. When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module. Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

Driver &quot;vga&quot;
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for. When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device. For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used. This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.

# BusID &quot;PCI:0:10:0&quot;

# VideoRam 256

# Clocks 25.2 28.3

EndSection

#Section added by radeonconf
Section &quot;Device&quot;
Identifier &quot;Radeon&quot;
Driver &quot;radeon&quot;
Videoram 32768
EndSection
#End section added by radeonconf

# Screen sections

# Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the &quot;-screen&quot;
# option.
Section &quot;Screen&quot;
Identifier &quot;Screen1&quot;
Device &quot;Radeon&quot;
Monitor &quot;My Monitor&quot;
DefaultDepth 24

Subsection &quot;Display&quot;
Depth 8
Modes &quot;640x480&quot; &quot;800x600&quot; &quot;1024x768&quot; &quot;1280x1024&quot;
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Depth 16
Modes &quot;640x480&quot; &quot;800x600&quot; &quot;1024x768&quot; &quot;1280x1024&quot;
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
Depth 24
Modes &quot;1024x768&quot; &quot;800x600&quot; &quot;640x480&quot;
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

# ServerLayout sections.

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present. Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised. A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# &quot;-layout&quot; option. In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section &quot;ServerLayout&quot;

# The Identifier line must be present
Identifier &quot;Simple Layout&quot;

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens. The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.

Screen &quot;Screen1&quot;

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used. Those options include &quot;CorePointer&quot;, &quot;CoreKeyboard&quot; and
# &quot;SendCoreEvents&quot;.

InputDevice &quot;Mouse1&quot; &quot;CorePointer&quot;
InputDevice &quot;Keyboard1&quot; &quot;CoreKeyboard&quot;

EndSection

If you see anything wrong with this, let me know. I would really like to get this to work; I would keep my Radeon if I could get XWindows to work. Thanks.