Ok... I am pissed... people that know about false advertising, help me out.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Basically, my ISP is the worst nightmare ever.

I have been with them for the last 2,5 years, and they were fine in the beginning. Since last year, they are a joke. They are supposed to be blazing fast ethernet connection (connecting to school's T1 network - Virginia Tech).

In all their advertisements, they claim this "Each NTC property has a high-speed broadband connection distributed by Ethernet switches to each customer's bedroom. In most locations, NTC also has a direct fiber-optic, ATM or T-1 connection to the local University's network. NTC customers receive the same benefits of on-campus services in the comfort of their own off-campus apartment."

When I signed up, they told me we were using the university's network, so we should have almost the same speed as any on-campus connection. Well that's a big lie. We are lucky if we can get 30kb/s in any download. It basically takes 45 seconds to 1 minutes to load any website. ANY WEBSITE!

I know the problem is not with just a few of us. All my friends and their friends hate them. They experience the same slow speed 24/7. The only time our speed goes back to normal is when we have a break (thanksgiving, christmas, spring) when students leave town. So I know this is a bandwidth issue. They just assign very limited bandwidth to 25,000 students.

What's even worse is, their network is never stable. We lose our connection at least 5 times a day for total times upto 10 hours in some cases.

Another thing is, they don't have a single bit of respect for customers. You call them, you are on hold for an hour, then finally you reach someone to talk, and he has no clue about networks. You ask for a manager, and managers are never there. I experienced this for at least 25 times. You call them, wait for an hour, and when you ask for a manager, manager is either trying to fix the network outrage (i thought technicians did this) or he is in vacation. Nothing different when you send them an email, they will just ignore it. Beginning of this week, I sent them an email asking for an explanation, and told them I was going to file a claim with BBB if they don't respond to my email by friday afternoon. Well guess what? They didn't respond
rolleye.gif

So to all of you that knows anything about law; can we have a case here? I can easily get the support of 2,000-3,000 students. The last petition we did got signed by 3,500 students.

I am pissed of getting raped by corporations just because we are colleege students. I want to do something, but I want to know if anything will result on our side at the end.

Cliff Notes:

- ISP advertises broadband connection
- We sign up, at the beginning they are great, then they began to suck, worse than dial-up.
- We call them asking for managers, managers are never there.
- We email them, no response. They don't care if you file a report through BBB.
- I want to see if we can sue them for false advertising.

Thanks people,

Xiety

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Bring forth what you wrote to a lawyer. No one here knows any better really. (With the exception of maybe DevilsAdvocate I think)

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Well... do lawyers charge for a first meeting? Maybe my school's free legal services can help, but I doubt it since the company has an agreement with school for using their network.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Do you have to pay for the service or is it included in your school fees?

Call an attorney. Most will give some sort of free mini-consultation wher eyou can at least tell them the basics.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Do you have to pay for the service or is it included in your school fees?

Call an attorney. Most will give some sort of free mini-consultation wher eyou can at least tell them the basics.

No it's not included, we fvckin pay $40/month for this crap :(

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
File a complaint with the BBB. That kind of company is the one that needs to get out of business.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can't go after them for 'false advertising', the best you could hope for would be breach of contract. In that case, you'd have to show that the ISP provides a service that is materially different than what they say they will provide in their service agreement. My guess is that they don't guarantee squat in the service agreement, they just say they provide 'high speed' internet connectivity. What constitutes 'high speed' is up to interpretation.

Of course, if it's true that it really takes 45 seconds to load a page, then you could show that you are not even getting the equivalent of a dialup connection, and thus there would be some misrepresentation going on.

Either way, a judge will just tell you "if their service is so crappy, stop paying for it, you are free to chose not to pay them". You probably don't have an alternative though.......

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: tagej
You can't go after them for 'false advertising', the best you could hope for would be breach of contract. In that case, you'd have to show that the ISP provides a service that is materially different than what they say they will provide in their service agreement. My guess is that they don't guarantee squat in the service agreement, they just say they provide 'high speed' internet connectivity. What constitutes 'high speed' is up to interpretation.

Of course, if it's true that it really takes 45 seconds to load a page, then you could show that you are not even getting the equivalent of a dialup connection, and thus there would be some misrepresentation going on.

Either way, a judge will just tell you "if their service is so crappy, stop paying for it, you are free to chose not to pay them". You probably don't have an alternative though.......

thanks for the input.

you are right, we don't have any alternative... they are the only ISP in this freaking town. Talk about Microsoft's monopoly... bah..

Well, I guess I will have a 15 minute talk with a lawyer on Monday and see what they say...

:(

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
same shite happens at my school

I'd be lucky if i got 30-40kb.
During breaks I get like 300kb ish but during peak school hours sometimes i get like 6kb-15kb

That's what happens when your network is overcrowded ;)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you can get 2,000+ students to sign a petition, why hasn't your school newspaper covered this?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
T1 line..that's your problem

ADVICE: NEVER sign up for ANYTHING with a company that advertises T1 as a BROADBAND connection unless you know that less than 20 college students will be using it STRICTLY for browsing. Realistically:2

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: isekii
same shite happens at my school

I'd be lucky if i got 30-40kb.
During breaks I get like 300kb ish but during peak school hours sometimes i get like 6kb-15kb

That's what happens when your network is overcrowded ;)

My old school:

I was there during the "revelation" that was morpheous. I never thought we as students could bring an OC12 to a crawl but we did it:D

an OC12 is 655Mbps by the way...YES..you heard me.....81MEGABYTES PER SECOND...LOL

Good times:cool: