OK I am ignorant. Someone pleae tell me about WOW.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhill
I'm not a big gamer (obviously), but every time I go to a message board (not just this one) I hear about how WOW is so addicting. I hear it over and over "It ruined my life,my boyfriends,my brother skipped class to play it,my son dropped out of college to play it 16 hrs a day etc etc.......

What exactly is so addicting about this game and why can't people stop playing it?

The sword of 1000 truths.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
The answer?

There's a dozen ways to play the game.
Solo
with a friend
small groups
large groups
guilds
large raids

You can play solo, but play in the PvP arenas (Capture the Flag, Battlefield-style capture points....), Official arena teams... And those are cross server, so you'll never NOT find new people to play against...

The auction house makes it fairly easy to score a lot of cash, if you have a little patience. It's actually fun to craft and sell stuff, and keep an eye out for items that you know can be resold at a higher price.

They've designed a game that should appeal to most action gamers and most RPGers... No small feat.

The people complaining about not having any consequences are nuts. They're not trying to make the most hardcore game. They're trying to make the best business model that people will enjoy using. Penalties are not a good idea. Not that I wouldn't mind a "hardcore" setting on character creation. That'd actually be kinda cool! :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You know, I can't stand when people complain about how much WoW ruined their life. It's always people blaming something else for their own issues and they wonder why they never change.

My friend was telling me, "Oh, I'm going to quit Warcraft, it's taking up too much time." Note that this can (raids can "restrict" you, but that's a choice you make) be a game with no time commitments at all... how does it honestly take up too much time when you can just stop. I've been playing since November 25, 2004 12:01AM (according to my account management page... I still remember debating whether or not I'd buy the game after having a bad time with FFXI connection-wise), and I may've played a LOT in the beginning (at one year, I had 120 days played on one character, that's an average of about 8 hours a day), but you do get burned out after awhile when you finally realize that behind the façade of fun, there's a machina of monotony hidden.

At one point I did quit the game and amusingly enough, I spent more money than when I did playing the game. Same goes for college... without the game, I'd probably be at the bars or something spending the $15 monthly fee easily in one night. I just hit up the distributor (was in PA) and bought a case of Yuengling Lager for like $16.99 and drank while playing WoW ;).

blackbishop26

Mar 31, 2006
Originally posted by: Aikouka
You know, I can't stand when people complain about how much WoW ruined their life. It's always people blaming something else for their own issues and they wonder why they never change.

My friend was telling me, "Oh, I'm going to quit Warcraft, it's taking up too much time." Note that this can (raids can "restrict" you, but that's a choice you make) be a game with no time commitments at all... how does it honestly take up too much time when you can just stop. I've been playing since November 25, 2004 12:01AM (according to my account management page... I still remember debating whether or not I'd buy the game after having a bad time with FFXI connection-wise), and I may've played a LOT in the beginning (at one year, I had 120 days played on one character, that's an average of about 8 hours a day), but you do get burned out after awhile when you finally realize that behind the façade of fun, there's a machina of monotony hidden.

At one point I did quit the game and amusingly enough, I spent more money than when I did playing the game. Same goes for college... without the game, I'd probably be at the bars or something spending the $15 monthly fee easily in one night. I just hit up the distributor (was in PA) and bought a case of Yuengling Lager for like $16.99 and drank while playing WoW ;).

ok, so what do you do when it is a spouse or loved one who is ruining your life because they can't disconnect?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: blackbishop26
ok, so what do you do when it is a spouse or loved one who is ruining your life because they can't disconnect?

Who knows... everyone's unique and keeps playing for their own reasons. A lot of people that I encounter tend to be getting away from something/everything... dissatisfaction, etc. People need to quit blaming a game because they've got problems and be man enough to face them.

mgnwfy

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: blackbishop26ok, so what do you do when it is a spouse or loved one who is ruining your life because they can't disconnect?

You join them.

Originally posted by: fallenangel99How is the expansion to those that have played? Fun as leveling from 0 - 60?

I found more enjoyable then 0-60, since the quests are completely different - and alot more fun. I was able to lvl from 60-70 in a month only playing a couple of hours in the weekend without stepping foot inside an instance. The only downside was Tier II & III is so worthless now, greens you get questing are better.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: mrCide
any ex ffxi addicts on atot?

I used to play a little bit, but I was by far an addict of the game.

Originally posted by: mgnwfy
The only downside was Tier II & III is so worthless now, greens you get questing are better.

I cried when I replaced my purpz :(.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
I've never liked MMOs (Lineage II made me hate them *shudders*), but I can at least see WoW as being fun for a lot of people. Most other MMOs amaze me because someone can ACTUALLY have fun playing them. Well, I guess EVE is pretty good if you can take the grind.
I've played the 10 day trial of WoW, and there's one reason I don't want to play it that is inherent in nearly EVERY MMO: The people. I've never been able to meet up with anyone in an MMO that I can actually enjoy playing the game with. Even when they're my friends in real life. We used to play Lineage II and I quit because that game has the most horrid community of all; and I realized that even my best friends in real life can be blabbering fools online.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
for anyone with self control, it's a fun game that offers a lot to do.

for anyone without self control... if it wasn't WoW, it would have been something else.

I'll admit to playing a lot of WoW, but generally speaking, my playtime only eats into the time I used to spend playing console systems or watching tv and doesn't prevent me from going out and having a life or anything

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: vhx
I use to play but quit some 9 months ago or so due to guild drama, boredom, and just hated logging on. The game becomes like a job at the end of the game.

It is definitely highly addictive, easy quests give you nice rewards and give you a great sense of accomplishment. WoW definitely ruins lives though, it is true. Even a site dedicated to helping people getting over it by sharing there stories. Lol.
http://www.wowdetox.com/

Yup.

End game guilds remind me of being in high school - everyone belongs to their own little click groups. And it was nearly impossible to get any help within the guild unless it was to go raiding in some end game dungeon.

As for ruining lives and the game being a 2nd job - I can see that happening with regards to end game raiding. You have to literally set aside 4-6 hours of uninterrupted time in order to raid. Add that to working from 8-5 and you have no time for anyone else but yourself. Hence... it ruins lives... :)

Eh - what makes the game so popular? It's dumbed down to cater to the masses and it looks pretty [cartoony] too...

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Gotta do something for entertainment. It used to be TV, but now that's just people eating slugs and singing off-key. So MMORPGs have grown in popularity, since not everyone is stupid enough to watch current TV programming.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: coloumb

Yup.

End game guilds remind me of being in high school - everyone belongs to their own little click groups. And it was nearly impossible to get any help within the guild unless it was to go raiding in some end game dungeon.

As for ruining lives and the game being a 2nd job - I can see that happening with regards to end game raiding. You have to literally set aside 4-6 hours of uninterrupted time in order to raid. Add that to working from 8-5 and you have no time for anyone else but yourself. Hence... it ruins lives... :)

Eh - what makes the game so popular? It's dumbed down to cater to the masses and it looks pretty [cartoony] too...

I have heard of end game equipment, but not end game guilds. Problem is any guy can say I am a guild and get 2-3 people to join him. I am a member of a fairly large guild that has existed pre-Everquest. At any given time of the day you will usually see 20-100 members on-board. Most know each other that play during the same time period

It is not unusual for a 10gp donation to help seed a beginning character (toon) and it's not unusual to see various L70 players start over with a new character.

It really depends on the guilds.

What I have seen a lot of (and these characters tend to get ignored) is someone joins the guild and just wants help/stuff but never has time to assist and if they do it's flaky (keep going afk, don't listen to instruction from group leader, etc).

Like CKent said, I can only watch so much TV before I find myself watching something mindless or the same story with different actors.