OK!.........All you OLD DC FARTS! Time to come out of hidding.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Hey dudes... Been Awhile... Yeah... The good old days of setting up 20 computers on a network and having them all set to pull down work units from the server were pretty cool. One way to keep the house warm on the chilly nights! :) Computer room was always nice and warm! haha

Well, I'm in Hawaii now. I'm not even on the Grid ... And I got a 2Kwatt system on the roof. But it's hardly enough to keep everything running. Fridge takes up most of it. So... I put up more panels and add in batteries so I could keep the computer running 24/7 doesn't seem worth it to me. They charge 50 cents a kW here ... Ick!

But... Well, enjoying my new life here a lot... Stay warm! :)

Would be nice to do something that didn't revolve around lot's of POWER and a lot of fast CPU's. Maybe I might try my hand at installing sat dishes and recording information. Who knows.

Last edited:

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
Left the forums after ATOT called my GF ugly a few years ago. Posted a big dramatic goodbye thread. Posted a few times after that and haven't been back much if at all since. Its a shame, refreshing the AT forums used to be my thing. meh. Times change I guess. Don't crack for the TeAm anymore or want much to do with the site. I did work for DailyTech for a time which was by far the best job of my life and a great group of people to work with wish I kept at that job but I digress.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
^ most people who post in ATOT are @ssholes and trolls who often voice their opinions regarding something that isn't even the topic of the thread. but these people are still only individuals, and in no way represent the general AT forum opinion. it sucks that that happened, and i'm sorry you felt you needed to dissociate yourself with the entire forum. if you're doing any crunching these days, its a shame you aren't part of the TeAm...the folks in ATDC (and most other AT sub-forums) are much more professional and respectful than the folks in ATOT. anyways, good to hear from another old timer...:)

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
^ most people who post in ATOT are @ssholes and trolls who often voice their opinions regarding something that isn't even the topic of the thread. but these people are still only individuals, and in no way represent the general AT forum opinion. it sucks that that happened, and i'm sorry you felt you needed to dissociate yourself with the entire forum. if you're doing any crunching these days, its a shame you aren't part of the TeAm...the folks in ATDC (and most other AT sub-forums) are much more professional and respectful than the folks in ATOT. anyways, good to hear from another old timer...:)

Yeah, I remember that narzy. That sucked. I used to go into AToT now and then, but now I generally stay away from AToT like it has the plague and every once in awhile I'll pull a Rudy Toody and post OT threads here in DC.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
hi guys. been here a long time and i still have no idea what's going on in teh BBQ thread

<--- been doing seti and other projects since 1998ish

NOTHING. SHUSH. Nothing is going on in the BBQ thread beyond BBQ. First rule of BBQ thread is WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BBQ Thread.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Narzy IMHO you were always an irresponsible twit, but it's good to see you posting.
Maybe you're growing up a bit.
But I doubt it.
Time alone will tell, you were always such a twit.
Anyone who allows OT to dominate their existence is just an idiot.
Grow the hell up.
Uh - IMHO and stuff.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
NO!

THINGS CHANGED AND I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!

But seriously in the past unprovoked personal attacks never flew on these boards. Then Derek and Co get their hands on it and ATOT turns in to 4chan reruns and fart jokes the venom spread to other forums and the rest of the forum community culture was affected and after some significant DC drama back in the day the AT forums just lost it for me. At least that is how I saw it at the time.

According to my last visit date before the post above I haven't been back/logged in since late 2011. I still visit AT main and read a few articles here and there but nothing like I used to. I mainly just read the graphics card articles and pipeline posts now.

I'll try to grow up for you Wiz, but its hard! and I dont wanna!

PS: But hey, after 13 years, I still choose to drop by and pop my head in to see all my old friends, so that's got to say something about this place.

Last edited:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
PS: But hey, after 13 years, I still choose to drop by and pop my head in to see all my old friends, so that's got to say something about this place.
It says a lot :)

Especially to the newer Old Farts that service the "Porch Light" as it needs replacing! It has become a lonely job ... just last week 36 hours went by without anybody posting. Sometimes we have to neff a thread ... doesn't a sub-forum need a post at least every 48 hours or they will close it out?

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
NO!

But seriously in the past unprovoked personal attacks never flew on these boards. Then Derek and Co get their hands on it and ATOT turns in to 4chan reruns and fart jokes the venom spread to other forums and the rest of the forum community culture was affected and after some significant DC drama back in the day the AT forums just lost it for me. At least that is how I saw it at the time.

According to my last visit date before the post above I haven't been back/logged in since late 2011. I still visit AT main and read a few articles here and there but nothing like I used to. I mainly just read the graphics card articles and pipeline posts now.

Nice to see you've thickened up your skin a bit!
Also, nice to see you popping your head in as you say - your response actually made me smile! Thanks!
I realize my post may have been harsh, and I didn't actually intend to be mean. Just prodding really. I don't know you and you don't know me, so thanks for "being a grown up".

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
NO!

Do not feel bad. I fought that battle as a Mod fir the 5 dammed years over what Derek instituted.

To the point I took a sabbatical for over a year in 2012 because of the sewage plant was deliberately not repaired.

DC / RV64 tricked me into being here after bring exposed to Hot Deals.

sduguid

Jan 23, 2001
Haven't checked in for years...and I never really posted much back in the day but I do miss the original Seti project. I had a lot of fun with that.

I still run F@H on one machine and am slowly, slowly moving up the ranks.

bkiserx7

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
NO!

We definitely don't want to turn into that childish [] forum...

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
Been awhile since I've been around and a long time since I did any distributed computing. Just popped in to say hi.

How are the wife and kids?!? hows life?

Good to see/hear from you!

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
A small sign of getting old :)

I have a great memory, to bad it's short.

Good to see you around too Assimilator1. Been a while.....
Lol, good to see you too :), yea I should visit more often, I suppose it's partly that DC projects often just run & run without problems or hand holding.

Although having said that I have got an outstanding question about F@H & Win7 I need answering, time to start a new thread!

There is an old saying: For men the memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember what the first one is.
LMAO :D

NWM
Hey good to hear from ya & good to hear things have (mostly) been going well for you :).

Elf
Re BBQ, nor me! ;)

Narzy
Yea I remember that, was saddened that you'd left, OT is just crawling with idiots (at least it was).
But good to see ya! :)

lizardth
Hey how ya doing? You & FMC been playing GW2? I'm still (occasionally) playing GW1 ;). Say hi to FMC for me, miss you both from GWs!

Ray
Hi mate! :)
How no crunching? What ya doing instead? Or shouldn't I ask? ;)

wischeez

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2004
I miss you all and Hope everything is good with Smoke. Old is when you finally recognize the old man in the mirror really is you! Awesome to see familiar faces here again.

Wow, when did you move to Arkansas? Last time we were on crunching Seti, you lived in Washington state! Good to see some of the old names in this thread. I still lurk, but don't have the crunching power I had back in the day.

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
wizcheez....wow. Now that's a face I haven't seen in a long time. How's things going for you?

I started this post just for that reason, all the old members seem to have faded into the background accept for a few. Nice to know your still around.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Well, I thought I had already posted to this thread..............but I haven't.
Sign of old age I guess.
There are a bunch of names showing up that I remember from when I first started with Seti back in Jan -04.
Hello one and all, glad to see you are still kicking around even if only occasionally.................
I'm mainly running F@H, and occasionally will join a Seti race if invited.