Oil vs. gold

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
If you were to pick between oil futures or gold futures, which one would you pick and why?

Both look very hot right now.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
gold is pulling back now. oil is going up, will go up a few more dollars a barrel since we aren't even in the driving season yet.

but seriously if you have enough money to buy oil futures you wouldn't be talking to us.

ethanol is hot now. PEIX, Billy G just bought 25.5% of the company at $16 a pop. its $32 now.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Oil for now, gold is probably better long term, especially if inflation starts creeping up (as a result of high energy prices) and the governemnt keeps spending like drunken sailors. Oil in the immediate future, is probably the safer bet.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Futures prices already reflect current estimates of future prices, however if something big happens like nuking Iran, then you'd make money (since nobody is counting on that happening, thus not reflected in prices).

I'd go with a commodity index if you really want to get into commodities right now.(you're very late)

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
but seriously if you have enough money to buy oil futures you wouldn't be talking to us.

:roll: How much do you think you need to invest before considering things like commodity futures?

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
The run up in the price of gold is pure speculation, the price could fall drasticly overnight.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Dissipate
If you were to pick between oil futures or gold futures, which one would you pick and why?

I think I will stay away from both right now.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Originally posted by: walrus
The run up in the price of gold is pure speculation, the price could fall drasticly overnight.

Isn't that the same situation as oil or no?

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
For the business illiterate out there, the price of oil has increased partly due to speculation as well. Although demand has gone up considerably due to China and India, most of it has still been speculation.

Gold has risen because the dollar is weak.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: charrison

Well since you stayed out of it for the past few years you missed out on some phat lewt. Good job on that, keep it up! :thumbsup:

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Well since you stayed out of it for the past few years you missed out on some phat lewt. Good job on that, keep it up! :thumbsup:

Well I do have energy stocks via mutual funds, might have gold as well. So I am not completley out of the game.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Ethenol sounds like an interesting deal...and perhaps also buy stock in companies that manufacture solar and wind energy materials.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Gold is used as a hedge against inflation. Volatility in the energy markets cause inflation based speculation, driving gold up.

Its a temporary thing.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Ethenol sounds like an interesting deal...and perhaps also buy stock in companies that manufacture solar and wind energy materials.

GE is doing wel with wind turbines. I beleive they recently increased their production capacity for those. And just so you know BP and shell are a couple of the largest solar panel makers.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel

:roll: How much do you think you need to invest before considering things like commodity futures?

A contract for oil is 1000 barrels.

Oil is something like $74 a barrel now.

so you tell me if you had $74,000+ to blow on a contract + fees, why would you be talking to us and not an advisor?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Gold gives you +1 :) and +1 coin
Oil gives you +1 hammer, but you need it to build tanks and planes, so I'd definitely choose oil.