Oil drops to 17 month low

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
Gas up three cents / gallon just yesterday afternoon.... Nice :disgust:

I guess since AAA has predicted record holiday travel this season, the oil barons have to insure their Christmas wish lists are fully funded for.

Baltimore Drivers Hit The Road, As Gasoline Prices Rise

You people need to get a life, seriously. You bother to mention 3 cents a gallon in either direction?

When has Dave or any liberal ever mentioned a drop in prices?

I've mentioned price drops several times, and I am a proud liberal.
My apolgies and "condolences":p

Jun 27, 2005
Wow Dullard... see what you want to much? Did you even read the thread? I really don't appreciate your baseless attack.
Originally posted by: dullard
Originally posted by: Genx87
You people need to get a life, seriously. You bother to mention 3 cents a gallon in either direction?
Genx87, you are correct that three cents in either direction is meaningless. However, in this thread Whoozyerdaddy made some statements that simply needed to be addressed. And so people post proof to comment on his statements. For example here are some of his own words:

[*]"Everyone said it would go back UP after the elections...$40-45/barrel would be just about perfect". Well guess what. Oil was at $55 on Friday, $59 on Monday, $60.17 right now on Tuesday. That appears to be going up and not towards that $40-$45/barrel projection. So of course we are going to post any gain, especially when it is small gain after small gain. You are right that one small gain is nothing. But day after day of small gain will add up.
Oil has crept up in the last couple of days but when I made my OP it had just hit a 17 month low. That means that the price of oil had continued to fall after the election. Do you want to apply today's data to a point I accurately made days ago? That doesn't seem fair.

What's more, I wasn't predicting $40 oil. I said it would be just about perfect. Big difference.

[*]"And I don't know where you live but the price of gas is trending DOWN here....average price for gas in Alaska was 2.65 a month ago... $2.54 today." Lets look at this "trending DOWN" portion after the election. Alaska prices. Hmm, seems like they were $2.53 on the day of the election, and have been basically flat since then. This doesn't support his "prices are trending down" after the election theory. In fact, zoom out on that graph to 3 months. Prices went down nearly every day UNTIL the election. Then they are holding steady. Again, I don't see any evidence to support Whoozyerdaddy's thesis that prices are going down after the election. He is correct that in Alaska they aren't going up, but they aren't going down either.

Look at the chart for Anchorage. It's a more accurate and realistic portrayal of what is going on in the state. The state chart shows jumps of 20+ cents one day followed by even bigger drops the next. One spike shows a jump one day of 35 cents followed by a 35 cent drop the next. I'm not sure how they are making that chart but I can assure you that our gas prices have not been that volatile.

I did use the overall Alaska chart in one of my earlier posts (the one you are quoting) but it ws the only one I could find at the time.

More than half the state's population lives in the Anchorage area. That chart is far more accurate. You'll notice that the chart has been consistantly down for quite some time and has continued to fall after the election. Even if you take the overall Alaska chart (which is wildly volatile and, I suspect, lacks the consistant data that would have been provided to make up the Anchorage chart) we're still down today from the election. Not flat, down.

[*]"Where I live the price at the pump was going down before the election and has continued to fall despite switching over to our more expensive winter blend." The continued to fall part of that sentence just doesn't match with Alaska averages. Facts rule in debates. Lets see ANY facts proving that national gas prices are falling after the election (overall, they are steady to up). Or heck, lets even narrow it down to Alaska averages - again they are steady.
As I have already pointed out, look at the Anchorage chart. Anchorage Those facts support my claims and refute yours.

Of course, all of the stuff above ignores the more important flaw in Whoozyerdaddy's logic. He made sweeping generalizations bashing other people's oil/gas posts. But then he only looks at one local area. Guess what, those other people he is bashing don't live in that local area. They live in local areas where their posts were correct. Even the national averages are backing them up. Whoozyerdaddy's insistance on using local data to attack people's posts about the national average just cannot be tollerated.
First off, I didn't bash anyone else's gas posts. Please post a quote about that. Never happened
Second, I didn't make sweeping generalizations about anything. I posted about what was happening in my state and I posted the price of oil. I also answered specific questions with specific answers.

It was other posters who were making the sweeping generalizations based on their local gas prices. Not me. Seriously, read the thread. You'll see just how unfounded your accusations are.

People asked me questions like: "What makes you think they're necessarily going to pass the decrease along to you?"

To which I responded: "They are. My oil bill has reflected a lower cost per gallon in each of my three fill ups so far this winter."

From there on came the reports of gas prices rising from other posters. Posts that I never refuted. However, many of those posts were worded such that it looked like I was calling people liars, which I never did. Case in point:
Originally posted by: catnap1972
Gas went up 6 cents a gallon last week, and just went up 6 more cents during lunch today. But that's probably my over active liberal imagination.. :disgust:

Wow...we must all have vivid imaginations!

For WYD, we had a couple of stations that looked like they might go below $2.00 before the election, now nobody is under the 2.10-2.15 range, and many have gone back above 2.20 (s/central PA)
After that, Dave asked me if I had seen gas prices drop proportionally to oil prices to which I answered yes. (With a little "smart ass" thrown in becuase he's Dave) Because, in fact, I HAD seen gas prices drop in proportion to oil prices. I made no assumptions about the rest of the country. Again, I was asked a specific question and I gave a specific answer. Was I bashing Dave? Was I making a broad generalization? I don't think so.

Then there were people quoting me out of context and responding in that bad context.
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Everyone said it ["it" referring OIL prices] would go back UP after the elections.

The price of gas [Gas, not oil] has remained at or around $2.20 here is SE Michigan for the past 3 months straight despite oil prices continuing to tank. Funny how they only keep pace when the price goes up, not down.

There were several posts that followed on that line.

Then Dave tried to assert that my state operates exactly like everywhere else, going so far as to tell me that I was on drugs. There's a broad sweeping generalization for ya.

So, Dullard, my challenge to you is to find a post where I refuted anyone's claim as to the gas prices in their area.

Find a post where I bashed anyone period.

Find a post where I made any broad sweeping generalizations about gas prices. Or anything for that matter...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Wow Dullard... see what you want to much? Did you even read the thread? I really don't appreciate your baseless attack.

Oil has crept up in the last couple of days but when I made my OP it had just hit a 17 month low. That means that the price of oil had continued to fall after the election.

Do you want to apply today's data to a point I accurately made days ago? That doesn't seem fair.

What's more, I wasn't predicting $40 oil. I said it would be just about perfect. Big difference.

Awwwwwwwww how cute :lips:

All of a sudden not fair :laugh:

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: fitzov
Originally posted by: judasmachine
{ahem}
winter - non driving season, gas goes down, cold season, heating oil goes up.

summer - driving season, gas goes way up, warm season, heating oil disappears(?)

Uh, but home heating oil is like a high quality deisel, not crude oil.

Yeah I realize that my comment was an oversimplification and I just trying to illustrate that stuff like this happens every year, with some variance allowed for the market. When people drive the oil companies up the price, and when people turn on the heater, the whoever controls that ups the price of it.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
If you don't think that the gop had their hands in the price drop, you're living in a very naive world.

I don't have any love for the GOP, but I know enough to know that I'm not the naieve one. No one that supports the theory you are suggesting has been able to say just how the GOP would go about accomplishing that task, which makes me believe you (not just you, everyone that says "GOP made gas/oil go down") don't know how the commodity markets work and have no idea how hard it is, if not impossible, to exert the kind of control of the price you claim the GOP has commanded.

I've also seen the evidence against it, previous year market trends detailing the same trending in price as we're seeing now, swept aside and disregarded . If 10+ years of data shows that the same thing happens year after year (general trends, that is) and that's not good enough to establish that a thing happens time and time again, what IS good enough?

The burden is on you, as the conspirasists, to prove that the abnormal is occuring. Putting on your tinfoil hats and accusing the GOP of price fixing a market requires support and evidence for validation, and I have yet to see any. You're nothing more then a parrot by continuously echoing the same sentiments over and over without that. Not even a simple "Here's how it would be done."

Also, oil has closed down $0.87 today.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: crownjules
If you don't think that the gop had their hands in the price drop, you're living in a very naive world.

I don't have any love for the GOP, but I know enough to know that I'm not the naieve one. No one that supports the theory you are suggesting has been able to say just how the GOP would go about accomplishing that task, which makes me believe you (not just you, everyone that says "GOP made gas/oil go down") don't know how the commodity markets work and have no idea how hard it is, if not impossible, to exert the kind of control of the price you claim the GOP has commanded.

I've also seen the evidence against it, previous year market trends detailing the same trending in price as we're seeing now, swept aside and disregarded . If 10+ years of data shows that the same thing happens year after year (general trends, that is) and that's not good enough to establish that a thing happens time and time again, what IS good enough?

Very well said. Unfortunately you will probably be accused of defending your "heroes" and other baseless attacks, since they have absolutely nothing else to go on.

The burden is on you, as the conspirasists, to prove that the abnormal is occuring. Putting on your tinfoil hats and accusing the GOP of price fixing a market requires support and evidence for validation, and I have yet to see any. You're nothing more then a parrot by continuously echoing the same sentiments over and over without that. Not even a simple "Here's how it would be done."

Also, oil has closed down $0.87 today.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Find a post where I made any broad sweeping generalizations about gas prices. Or anything for that matter...
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was gone for the holiday vacation. Lets try looking at your first line of your first post: "Everyone said it would go back UP after the elections."

To me, that is a broad sweeping generalization about prices. I'm sure you are going to come back here and say that the OP meant oil, and I said gas. So sue me, you are swapping them around in this thread already.

I did your task. I found a post. I'm not really interested in responding to the rest. As since we can't decide this simple thing about your first sentence in this thread, we cannot ever reach a consensus with the rest of the thread.

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
Gas in Oregon near me went up 27 cents after the election. With oil prices falling, the corner station is still raising its prices.....WTF National average is supposed to be $2.22, and we have $2.47 here.