Oil drops to 17 month low

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Everyone said it would go back UP after the elections. What gives?

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil fell toward $55 on Friday, hitting its lowest level since mid-2005 driven by fund selling across commodity markets on concern of an economic slowdown in the world's largest energy consumer the United States.

Oil drew further downward momentum from high U.S. oil inventories and ahead of the expiry of the front-month U.S. crude contract at the close of trade on Friday.

U.S. crude was down $1.01 at $55.25 a barrel at 1327 GMT after hitting its lowest level since June 14 last year at $54.86. The price has fallen over 29 percent from the record of $78.40 in July.

I guess that "drive for five" is on hold for now. Actually, this article seems to indicate that the price of oil is a market driven factor and not arbitrarily set by the Bush administration or evil oil companies. Who knew? Ya learn something new every day. :D

Good news though. (Especially for those of us who heat our homes with oil) $40-45/barrel would be just about perfect.

Topic Title: Oil drops to 17 month low
Topic Summary: I'm confused...

What are you confused about?

Have you've seen gasoline drop proportionately???

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Gas went up 6 cents a gallon last week, and just went up 6 more cents during lunch today. But that's probably my over active liberal imagination.. :disgust:

Originally posted by: catnap1972

And yet the price at the pump continues to creep back up daily (at least around here)--hmmm.....

Good news though. (Especially for those of us who heat our homes with oil) $40-45/barrel would be just about perfect.

What makes you think they're necessarily going to pass the decrease along to you?

Originally posted by: BoomerD
We're back up to about $2.40 here...I know, Kahleeforneeya is always higher than the rest of the nation...but the spike in prices is blatantly obvious...
http://www.modestogasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

Wow, according to resident Republicans all you guys are seeing things.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Out where I am, the state just elected a Dem governer, the legislator went Dem but the prices have dropped. $2.13 in the general area

So the Republican influence/concept seems to fall apart

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
OK all of you who are saying that "Bush has nothing to do with gas prices". If that's true, how come the WH was whining before the election that they "weren't getting proper credit" for gas prices that dropped? Either he/they have nothing to do with the price, and therefore deserve none of the credit, or they do have influence and you're all lying. Can't have it both ways.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Out where I am, the state just elected a Dem governer, the legislator went Dem but the prices have dropped. $2.13 in the general area

So the Republican influence/concept seems to fall apart

Interesting trend in P&N

How or why is gas prices only going down for resident Republicans and up for everyone else???

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
OK all of you who are saying that "Bush has nothing to do with gas prices". If that's true, how come the WH was whining before the election that they "weren't getting proper credit" for gas prices that dropped? Either he/they have nothing to do with the price, and therefore deserve none of the credit, or they do have influence and you're all lying. Can't have it both ways.
Both sides want it both ways.

Bush/Cheney/Republicans: (A) Campaigned for months for the 2000 election saying that Clinton didn't do much about energy and thus was the cause of the high oil/gas/energy prices. (B) Once energy costs soared far higher than Clinton-era prices in the Bush years, they want to say they have no effect on the prices. What is it (A) or (B)? They can't pick a side. Flip/Flop/Flip/Flop.

Democrats: (A) Say the Republican's want oil/energy prices to go sky-high due to Bush and Cheney's personal connections to big oil. (B) Say the Republican's want oil/energy prices to plunge to gain votes in elections. What is it (A) or (B)? They can't seem to pick a side. Flip/Flop/Flip/Flop.

Note: Not all Republicans and not all Democrats have argued both sides of the argument. However, all of the outspoken ones have.

In reality, the president has an effect, but it is small and indirect. A president can help change energy consumption laws. A president can influence confidence in investors. A president can change the US government purchases of oil that we just pump right back into the ground. Etc. But the president has little to no direct influence.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Gas went up 6 cents a gallon last week, and just went up 6 more cents during lunch today. But that's probably my over active liberal imagination.. :disgust:

And yet the price at the pump continues to creep back up daily (at least around here)--hmmm.....

What makes you think they're necessarily going to pass the decrease along to you?

Originally posted by: BoomerD
We're back up to about $2.40 here...I know, Kahleeforneeya is always higher than the rest of the nation...but the spike in prices is blatantly obvious...
http://www.modestogasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

Wow, according to resident Republicans all you guys are seeing things.

:roll:

Originally posted by: Vic
Anyone who thinks that a market trend precludes any volatility is clueless.

Jun 27, 2005

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil fell toward $55 on Friday, hitting its lowest level since mid-2005 driven by fund selling across commodity markets on concern of an economic slowdown in the world's largest energy consumer the United States.

Oil drew further downward momentum from high U.S. oil inventories and ahead of the expiry of the front-month U.S. crude contract at the close of trade on Friday.

U.S. crude was down $1.01 at $55.25 a barrel at 1327 GMT after hitting its lowest level since June 14 last year at $54.86. The price has fallen over 29 percent from the record of $78.40 in July.

I guess that "drive for five" is on hold for now. Actually, this article seems to indicate that the price of oil is a market driven factor and not arbitrarily set by the Bush administration or evil oil companies. Who knew? Ya learn something new every day. :D

Topic Title: Oil drops to 17 month low
Topic Summary: I'm confused...

Yes I have. Then again, I always swipe my RNC card before I fill up. Maybe that's why. :roll:

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006

Aren't the Oil prices we hear of every day part of futures contracts? So, wouldn't we see the change at the pump only a month (or whatever the priod is) later?

Plus, wouldn't this graph explain how come prices went down as 11/7 got closer? The downward trend seems to have started in August.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oil prices down because oil inventories are up.

Gas prices are up because gasoline inventories are down.

Gas prices in Lexington, KY are up $0.30 since election day.

It's all about refining and refining capacity.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
Prices have been rising at the pump for the past two weeks here.

Up $.10 per gallon since the election.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Engineer
Oil prices down because oil inventories are up.

Gas prices are up because gasoline inventories are down.

Gas prices in Lexington, KY are up $0.30 since election day.

It's all about refining and refining capacity.
Haha, according to your "theory", gas prices wouldn't have changed at all in the last 11 days, because of how short of a time period that happens to be. How is it that they're up 3/10 of a dollar, in that short time period, then?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

It's because the Department of Energy has announced plans to open oil exploration on Brokeback Mountain.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Wed. afternoon: $2.09
Thur. morning: $2.29

Yet oil keeps dropping.

When did oil start dropping?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Everyone said it would go back UP after the elections.

The price of gas has remained at or around $2.20 here is SE Michigan for the past 3 months straight despite oil prices continuing to tank. Funny how they only keep pace when the price goes up, not down.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: conjur
Wed. afternoon: $2.09
Thur. morning: $2.29

Yet oil keeps dropping.

When did oil start dropping?

Originally posted by: ntdz
Oil down again to $55.85, lowest in a year and half.

Gas up 9 cents today ahead of Thanksgiving gouging.

That didn't answer my question.