Ohh my gosh! I am a console gamer...

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
I used to spend all of my gaming time on the PC... BF Nam, BF2, BF2142, UT2004, ... (I can't even remember the rest, but I think those were my primary online games). I *hated* playing COD4 on xbox 360. The only reason I did was simply because all of my friends were not PC gamers... I think the only thing I have played lately on PC is Fallout 3. I played just a little bit of Gears of War, but that was with a 360 controller.
So I got COD5 for PC today. What the heck! How is it possible that I now suck with a mouse!?!?! It took me a good hour before I could even compete. The shotgun is a whole new game on PC since the speed seems to be cranked up a couple of notches compared to the 360 (probably just because everyone can aim so much faster)
What are most people playing these days for online shooters on PC? I just think I am going to have to kick the controller a bit and see what I have been missing. I just bought Left 4 Dead during the steam sale, but the one time I tried to play, I got booted because I suck! :) I also have TF2 which was pretty fun when I was playing it almost a year ago.

Anything else? Now to go mess with my DeathAdder sensitivity.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
You've listed the three I would have mentioned - COD5, L4D and TF2. There are still a lot of people playing CS out there in both Source and 1.6 flavors as well.

I'm looking forward to trying the multiplayer elements of Chronicles of Riddick: Athena. I've heard promising things about it (retro corridor based shooter) and the Pitch Black mode sounds like great fun.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I have to admit...

I have about 8 games I want this year on the PS3. I don't think I have anything I want to play on the PC this year that I have to buy. Maybe left for dead if it goes on sale again.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Come back when consoles have a air mouse and ergonomic "lap" keyboard then we can talk.

Consoles so far have turned out to be a complete waste of money and rendered completely obsolete with me getting a laptop (that can play games). Everything that was good about a console is replaced with the laptop that can play better games.

That being said, only have to press two buttons ever (unless the first one happens to be red) is appealing to many.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
There are games, I want on the PS3, none of them cross over to the PC tho really. I have a 360 too, but I never buy anything for it anymore (I'm very much a mouse and keyboard FPS player).

I think there's room in gaming for both PC and consoles, true control in an FPS or RTS is going to be the PC, while sports, racing and third person Quicktime event games like God of War will still be better on a console likely.

Not everything is black and white tho, which is why I do have a 360 and PS3 in addition to my PC for gaming.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
gtfo console gamer! haha, just kidding. I think TF2 is a good place to play FPS games again though. I've been playing my PS3 and XBox quite a bit lately. Ace Combat 6 on XBox and LBP on PS3.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'll always play my FPS and RTS games on the PC, but consoles do all the other genres better IMO.

EDIT: *Also, any game with a substantial mod base that I care about is a PC buy for me.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I only buy games on PS3 that are not available for PC because even the crummiest ports on PC are still better than their console counterparts.

Console shooters are fun until you realize playing shooters on PC feels like gaming nirvana by comparison, it's a genre that just belongs on the PC.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I go back and forth - I was all over my PS3 when my gaming rig was not getting it done anymore. But now I've got a new machine and I'm way back into PC gaming.

Having both is really the best solution.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
I only buy games on PS3 that are not available for console because even the crummiest ports on PC are still better than their console counterparts.

Console shooters are fun until you realize playing shooters on PC feels like gaming nirvana by comparison, it's a genre that just belongs on the PC.

100% agreed. Playing shooters on PC is so much better! Aiming with the Mouse + KB combo rocks! :)

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Say goodbye to custom maps and mods.

I'm a converted PC --> Console gamer and this is easily the thing I miss the most. Not the controls, not the graphics, but the huge amount of user/mfr created content that I no longer have access to on my 360. I picked up a copy of GTR2 the other day and went online and found thousands of skins/mods for the game...go look on Forza 2, you've got 3 car packs and two track packs and that's it...

If they could combine the two it'd be the best of both worlds for me, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I still cannot play FPS games on consoles and I really don't understand how anyone can to be honest. It feels so clunky and awkward, I end up getting frustrated after 30 minutes or so. I keep trying, playing betas, demos, and whatnot, but it never feels right.

Some other games are ok on consoles, but until something happens where I can play FPS games comfortably on one, I will continue to play close to 100% of my games on PC.

There was a brief stint where I bought and played some console games, but now my PS3 is exclusively used for movies and I don't miss the gaming side of it at all.

KT

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Dumac
I'll always play my FPS and RTS games on the PC, but consoles do all the other genres better IMO.

EDIT: *Also, any game with a substantial mod base that I care about is a PC buy for me.

4X and Adventure games are better on the PC as well. (although there are far fewer than RTS and FPS)

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sam25
I only buy games on PS3 that are not available for console because even the crummiest ports on PC are still better than their console counterparts.

100% agreed. Playing shooters on PC is so much better! Aiming with the Mouse + KB combo rocks! :)

LoL, Im glad i never had a issue playing FPS games on the 360 Or PS3. But then again, I grew up a PC/Console gamer.

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
im actually stuck in a console timewarp as well... i useto be all pro PC...but when my rig started messing with me. console gaming was there to console me. I will go back when its time to build a new rig most likely :) so i feel for you

i was hardcore UT2k4 and COD4

samduhman

Jul 18, 2005
I only buy games on PS3 that are not available for PC because even the crummiest ports on PC are still better than their console counterparts.

What ^he said. Consoles are weak IMHO for historically PC genres, and I have a 360/PS3/Wii. I've tried them and I usually throw the controller down in disgust and RUN back to my PC.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Martimus
Originally posted by: Dumac

4X and Adventure games are better on the PC as well. (although there are far fewer than RTS and FPS)

You are definitely right about 4x, but I have to disagree about adventure games. The best adventure games have been on console and control much better with a console controller than a kb+m (unless you are talking about the old point-and-click adventure games)

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
Well, I have been enjoying (and getting better) at COD5 since I started the thread. The custom maps have been cool too.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Does anyone have or has tried the Xbox 360 keyboard/mouse adapters? They run about $75 on eBay, like this one.

I've been tempted, but am a little hesitant since we have a projector in the livingroom and no real place to setup a keyboard/mouse combo. Surely, us PC gamers would ignite any/all competition once got the hang of using one. I have my Xbox 360 *JUST* to play Halo 3. I do fire up Guitar Hero once in a blue moon when friends are over, but usually it's the Wii that gets the action if several people are over.

That reminds me, I need to renew my XBL subscription!