Oh snap, the next big catastrophe for the world is a food shortage!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Linky poo

A new crisis is emerging, a global food catastrophe that will reach further and be more crippling than anything the world has ever seen.

Hehe. Only a country where 2/3rd of the population is overweight and half of that number is fat could you scare people with this kind of silliness.

My advise on how to weather this catastrophe is start chowing down now because fat on your body doesn't rot, whereas coca cola and chocolate bars on your shelf do have a shelf-life. Stock pile canned goods in your cubboards, hoard seeds and fertilizer, and start packing on weight NOW before it's too late.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Good thing I'm almost done with the bunker in my back yard.... All this fearmongering from different media and politicos makes me skerrdd...

<- trembling

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The usual suspects of market manipulators have turned to ag commodities as the next market to artificially speculate and bubble. This is merely the beginning of the usual media blitz. I predict this one could reach global warming hype status.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Linky poo

A new crisis is emerging, a global food catastrophe that will reach further and be more crippling than anything the world has ever seen.

Hehe. Only a country where 2/3rd of the population is overweight and half of that number is fat could you scare people with this kind of silliness.

My advise on how to weather this catastrophe is start chowing down now because fat on your body doesn't rot, whereas coca cola and chocolate bars on your shelf do have a shelf-life. Stock pile canned goods in your cubboards, hoard seeds and fertilizer, and start packing on weight NOW before it's too late.

America wont have a food crisis, the rest of the world might, but we won't.

The US pays people not to farm. Take that away, and well, prices would drop across the board. Alot of the crops in Texas are having bumper crop type years.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Luckily, the article's author has the solution:
That [meeting the food supply challenge] will be done with more fertilizer...
Mmmmmmm, more fertilizer! :laugh:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I predict this one could reach global warming hype status.

I hope so because it would be fun, although I feel the implication could be it would hit up my ability to buy junk food or maybe they'd have to turn hops fields into cabbage fields and beer prices go up. The beauty of this is how it works in concert with GW because as GW continues to increase and we move away from food to using our food to fuel our cars, the price of food will increase at the same time as the planet scorches up from our global warming and we're really up the creek!

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Federal welfare states to the rest of the country: More subsidies, please!

Fixed for accuracy. ;)

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

I hope so because it would be fun, although I feel the implication could be it would hit up my ability to buy junk food or maybe they'd have to turn hops fields into cabbage fields and beer prices go up.
Already happening! :shocked:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Oh snap? Hehe?

Are the righties losing their minds even more, hard as that is to believe? Too bad the show title 'Arrested Development' is already taken, because it could be the title of a show about these people.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose

I hope so because it would be fun, although I feel the implication could be it would hit up my ability to buy junk food or maybe they'd have to turn hops fields into cabbage fields and beer prices go up.
Already happening! :shocked:
Oh sweet Jesus.

Am I showing my age? Maybe that went out of style two years back. Snap!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Craig234
Oh snap? Hehe?

Are the righties losing their minds even more, hard as that is to believe? Too bad the show title 'Arrested Development' is already taken, because it could be the title of a show about these people.

And on cue, in walks the neighborhood useful idiot to tell us how we're all "stupid righties" for not subscribing to the latest big corporate Orwellian-esque fear campaign designed solely to manipulate commodities markets and make the rich richer on the backs of the poor.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Unless we lose California?s crops I find it very difficult to care about the topic at hand.

As for the price of food, look at the price of oil. Costs money to ship it, and you use oil to do that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Unless we lose California?s crops I find it very difficult to care about the topic at hand.

As for the price of food, look at the price of oil. Costs money to ship it, and you use oil to do that.

Something more than oil and transportations costs is pushing up the price of ags right now. Wheat is up ~400% right now year-over-year despite abundant supply. The farmers are breaking out the champagne.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I'll just fill my garage with Top Ramen...that stuff lasts forever.
People will sneak in and steal the flavor packets -- third world people with nothing to lose, NOTHING! :shocked:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I'll just fill my garage with Top Ramen...that stuff lasts forever.
People will sneak in and steal the flavor packets -- third world people with nothing to lose, NOTHING! :shocked:
I like those noodles but the only thing in the entire packet even approaching bona fide food is the flavor packet.

BTW, nice sig.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
BTW, nice sig.

Thanks! It just won't be the same, humor wise, when we have a reasonably intelligent President again. :(

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Food shortage?

Well then, it's a good thing man is single-handedly warming the planet at astronomical rates. All that usetacould frozen tundra in Russia will make great farmland..

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic

Something more than oil and transportations costs is pushing up the price of ags right now. Wheat is up ~400% right now year-over-year despite abundant supply. The farmers are breaking out the champagne.

What?? I don't think so, it's doubled in the last year but it's not up 400%!?!?!

At todays prices it takes almost $2 worth of fertilizer, just the fertilizer, to grow a bushel of wheat, that's not taking any other costs into account. The fropping dollar has had a lot to do with it too as our commodities are still competing on the world market despite what seems like ridicluos prices to you city slickers.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Vic

What?? I don't think so, it's doubled in the last year but it's not up 400%!?!?!

At todays prices it takes almost $2 worth of fertilizer, just the fertilizer, to grow a bushel of wheat, that's not taking any other costs into account. The fropping dollar has had a lot to do with it too as our commodities are still competing on the world market despite what seems like ridicluos prices to you city slickers.

Text
Okay, it looks like 200% in the past year and 300% over the past 2. My bad. I don't follow it that closely. You still can't attribute this entirely to the dollar and oil costs.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Wheat is still only a little more than double what it was in 1975, and less than 6x what it was in 1950...
It's been kind of artificially cheap the last few decades.

in the 50's, a bbl of oil and a bushel of wheat were at parity, more or less.