oh, nevermind

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I am not so proud of my two Seagate Barracuda IV's any more.

I like my IBM laptop drive and my IBM desktop drive much more.

If this is all true, I will never buy a Seagate drive again. I hate that companies can get away with this. Corporations already pay less than their share.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: yakko
How is it unfair if it is legal? What about the people who get a tax break on the interest they pay on a home loan? Until we make it a system with no exemptions for any reason it will never be fair.
"Legality" and "fairness" are not always the same thing.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vespasian
Originally posted by: notfred
Seagate is in Scotts Valley, California, down the street from Borland. I grew up 5 miles from there, I drove by their building last week.
That's their "operational" headquarters. It's just like how Bermuda-based Tyco's "operational" headquarters are in Exeter, New Hampshire.

So what exactly is it they have in the Cayman Islands?
It's probably nothing more than a small office and a mailbox. But that small office and mailbox saves them from paying millions of dollars in U.S. taxes every year.

Hmm, doesn't bother me. I'm guessing that Toyota doesn't pay those taxes either, being based in Japan, right? How about Sony, or BMW, or ATI?
Why would foreign companies have to pay U.S. taxes?

Toyota builds cars in the US, ATI sells video cards in the US. If they don't pay taxes, why should Seagate?

Aug 10, 2001
Seagate is in Scotts Valley, California, down the street from Borland. I grew up 5 miles from there, I drove by their building last week.
That's their "operational" headquarters. It's just like how Bermuda-based Tyco's "operational" headquarters are in Exeter, New Hampshire.

So what exactly is it they have in the Cayman Islands?
It's probably nothing more than a small office and a mailbox. But that small office and mailbox saves them from paying millions of dollars in U.S. taxes every year.

Hmm, doesn't bother me. I'm guessing that Toyota doesn't pay those taxes either, being based in Japan, right? How about Sony, or BMW, or ATI?
Why would foreign companies have to pay U.S. taxes?

Toyota builds cars in the US, ATI sells video cards in the US. If they don't pay taxes, why should Seagate?
Should U.S. corporations be obligated to pay anthing to the IRS?