Oh look.... GMO corn causes tumors in rats, according to a study

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Its quite clear that Google is the basis for you argument. Sorry, you have a lot to learn. A lot that you won't get from Google.

In other words, you're making up shit. No, I take that back. Monsanto has made $$$$$$$$$$ because they were the first to throw bacterial cells on a seedling and magically the Bt toxin gene just walked its merry way over to the maize plant and said "Sup?" and the plant was like "I like u <3" and then they hybridized and made beautiful non-GMO babbies.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
In other words, you're making up shit. No, I take that back. Monsanto has made $$$$$$$$$$ because they were the first to throw bacterial cells on a seedling and magically the Bt toxin gene just walked its merry way over to the maize plant and said "Sup?" and the plant was like "I like u <3" and then they hybridized and made beautiful non-GMO babbies.

WTF are you talking about. Plants have been incorporating BT like traits for thousands (perhaps millions) of years. It's natures insecticide. BT corn is merely another application of that observation.

I can say, without a doubt, given the laws of probability, that there is or has been a corn plant out there that has the same BT gene Monsanto incorporates in it naturally.

If anyone is making shit up, its you.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
WTF are you talking about. Plants have been incorporating BT like traits for thousands (perhaps millions) of years. It's natures insecticide. BT corn is merely another application of that observation.

I can say, without a doubt, given the laws of probability, that there is or has been a corn plant out there that has the same BT gene Monsanto incorporates in it naturally.

If anyone is making shit up, its you.

"BT like traits" is not what you mentioned earlier. I'm not talking about the probability of a single transduction event 100 million years ago or whatever, and neither were you. You claimed...

1) There are strains of corn that have incorporated Bt toxin gene without any human influence

2) It is possible to facilitate horizontal gene transfer of bacteria to plants by simply inoculating the latter with the former

Now put up.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
"BT like traits" is not what you mentioned earlier. I'm not talking about the probability of a single transduction event 100 million years ago or whatever, and neither were you. You claimed...

1) There are strains of corn that have incorporated Bt toxin gene without any human influence

2) It is possible to facilitate horizontal gene transfer of bacteria to plants by simply inoculating the latter with the former

Now put up.

You are so incredibly dense its like talking to a concrete sidewalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_defense_against_herbivory

Some of these natural chemical defenses involve the excretion of the exact same proteins (toxins) found in naturally occurring BT.

As far as your second point. There was already a link posted that you chose to ignore. But here is another link describing the process.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SG...bacterium inoculation of corn callus&f=false

Enjoy.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

Now put up.

Some of these natural chemical defenses involve the excretion of the exact same proteins (toxins) found in naturally occurring BT.

And guess what - we don't eat plants that have these natural defenses. Because it hurts us. Ironic that the examples near the top include Poison Ivy and Foxgloves.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Actually sagalore humans eat many things that are toxic to other loving things on our planet. It's one of the reasons we've become the domonatenlife form, we can eat most anything. Ps all of you guys worried about toxins in the plants you eat don't eat any potatoes or tomatoes right? Nightshades are poisonous. But i'm sure you'll come up with some stupid excuse on why that's ok.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Actually sagalore humans eat many things that are toxic to other loving things on our planet. It's one of the reasons we've become the domonatenlife form, we can eat most anything. Ps all of you guys worried about toxins in the plants you eat don't eat any potatoes or tomatoes right? Nightshades are poisonous. But i'm sure you'll come up with some stupid excuse on why that's ok.

We remove or process the toxicity of the plant before eating it. There are some examples where small amounts of the toxin won't hurt us, such as rhubarb. The leaves of sweet potatoes are extremely toxic to us, but the sweet potato itself is non-toxic and highly nutritious.

You inject BT genes into the ENTIRE corn plant, which produces bipyramidal crystal proteins, and are protected from external conditions of UV, heat and rain.

Someone tell me how hot and how long the corn needs to be cooked to ensure complete breakdown of these proteins.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Sagalore nightshades are poisonous and they're highly digested around the planet and there have been studies that link their use as a food to increases in arthritis and various digestive problems. People eat them every day, potatoes are a world staple now. You think everything was bred out? I'm thinking not.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Sagalore nightshades are poisonous and they're highly digested around the planet and there have been studies that link their use as a food to increases in arthritis and various digestive problems. People eat them every day, potatoes are a world staple now. You think everything was bred out? I'm thinking not.

As an example, potatoes, do not produce the solanine alkaloids within the tuber part that we eat. However, if the skin is allowed to green, then that does contain them, and should NOT be eaten because it is highly poisonous.

Maybe what Monsanto needs to do is learn how to get these added genes to only function in certain parts of the crop so the part we eat isn't so saturated with BT toxin. That would be a step in the right direction.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

As far as your second point. There was already a link posted that you chose to ignore. But here is another link describing the process.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SG...bacterium inoculation of corn callus&f=false

Enjoy.

Show me where in that Wikipedia article it describes plants secreting toxins of bacterial origin or it is unrelated to the claim you made. I know that plants have natural defenses against predation; no shit. The only mention of Bt-expressing plants is with regards to human-designed DNA recombination. Unless there's some very minor semantic detail I'm missing, that is genetic modification.

I did respond to the link Brainonsonka511 provided.

None of those transformations involve spraying entire bacterial cells in hopes that exactly the right part of their genome is integrated via hybridization. If he misspoke and meant using Agrobacterium, then I fail to see how that isn't GMO.

Unsurprisingly, the process you mentioned is the same I mentioned prior. Now, explain how that process is the same as "All this involves is spraying BT bacterium on the callus," because as far as I can see it isn't.

And guess what - we don't eat plants that have these natural defenses. Because it hurts us. Ironic that the examples near the top include Poison Ivy and Foxgloves.

lolwut? We don't ingest caffeine? There are tons of proteins and organic molecules that have no significant toxic effect on humans that regardless still affect pests.

Last edited: