Oh FFS when are new 2014 Denon's -- HDMI 2.0 -- coming out?

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
I know Pioneer has some midrange HDMI 2.0 receivers out, and I think Onkyo might too, but what the hell are we waiting for?

I have a ridiculous old -- but still going strong! -- Denon 3801. I'd sorta like HDMI. Seeing as I plan on having the thing forever (see previous sentence) I might as well wait for HDMI 2.0 (and full HDMI 2.0 support) but I'm sorta getting tired of waiting.

Hence, this thread.

ASSUAGE, ATA/VHT FORUMS!

:D

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the spec was just recently finalized, i assume it was not set in stone in time for the current years lineup , i expect it in the 2015 models

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm curious... what feature from the HDMI 2.0 spec are you really look for? HDMI 1.4a supports 4k30, which is sufficient for movies. Although, I guess if you spend a lot of money on a receiver (say $1k+), you'll probably want that new technology plateau.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I'm curious... what feature from the HDMI 2.0 spec are you really look for? HDMI 1.4a supports 4k30, which is sufficient for movies. Although, I guess if you spend a lot of money on a receiver (say $1k+), you'll probably want that new technology plateau.

I'd say 4K60 passthrough is a pretty basic requirement if you're going to use an HTPC as your source, unless you want the UI to give you seizures. And also for gaming.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
The OP doesn't even have HDMI 0.1 equipment. The added benefits of 2.0 are but a far off realization. 4k content barely exists now, so I'd say either jump into a 1.4 capable receiver now and enjoy the benefits currently available, or wait until 4k media is actually prevalent and buy then. Of course, at that time, HDMI 2.1 will be rumored, and of course, it will be a "must have". Long story short, there is always something new on the horizon. Buy when your current gear isn't satisfactory, not when you think the "must have" feature will finally be realized.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The OP doesn't even have HDMI 0.1 equipment. The added benefits of 2.0 are but a far off realization. 4k content barely exists now, so I'd say either jump into a 1.4 capable receiver now and enjoy the benefits currently available, or wait until 4k media is actually prevalent and buy then. Of course, at that time, HDMI 2.1 will be rumored, and of course, it will be a "must have". Long story short, there is always something new on the horizon. Buy when your current gear isn't satisfactory, not when you think the "must have" feature will finally be realized.

I mean if I was looking into a new AVR and saw that HDMI 2.0 was in some models I may be hesitant to purchase one that was 1.4 only myself. That said, I look at the features I need now not what I may use in a few years. So if I won't be doing 4k, I wouldn't necessarily be hyped up for HDMI 2.0 in my AVR quite yet. If I was upgrading from something ancient with no HDMI I think I would definitely not hesitate for a 1.4 compliant receiver now rather than wait around for manufacturers to put 2.0 in their higher end models. This is especially true IMO when taking the OP's case into account where he has a very old model. I wouldn't pick him for the type to hop on 4k right away.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
I know Pioneer has some midrange HDMI 2.0 receivers out, and I think Onkyo might too, but what the hell are we waiting for?

I have a ridiculous old -- but still going strong! -- Denon 3801. I'd sorta like HDMI. Seeing as I plan on having the thing forever (see previous sentence) I might as well wait for HDMI 2.0 (and full HDMI 2.0 support) but I'm sorta getting tired of waiting.

Hence, this thread.

ASSUAGE, ATA/VHT FORUMS!

:D

Denon usually releases their new models May/June, so it could be soon.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I mean if I was looking into a new AVR and saw that HDMI 2.0 was in some models I may be hesitant to purchase one that was 1.4 only myself. That said, I look at the features I need now not what I may use in a few years. So if I won't be doing 4k, I wouldn't necessarily be hyped up for HDMI 2.0 in my AVR quite yet. If I was upgrading from something ancient with no HDMI I think I would definitely not hesitate for a 1.4 compliant receiver now rather than wait around for manufacturers to put 2.0 in their higher end models. This is especially true IMO when taking the OP's case into account where he has a very old model. I wouldn't pick him for the type to hop on 4k right away.

It's also worthwhile to keep in mind that the release of the new models (or the impending release) is giving us some good sales on the current models. You can pick up Denon's X2000 for $400 from Amazon right now. It's this year's equivalent of my 2112ci, which I paid around $450 on sale. So, that's certainly not a bad deal at all. Oh, and just keep one thing in mind... always check Denon's Authorized Retailer list if you're going to buy one online! If you buy a unit from someone that's not on that list (even if it's fulfilled by Amazon) you do not get the full warranty!!

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005

You lose me a bit at the end there, but finally someone who gets it.

The rest of you crack me up. I hear all the time "There's no sense in waiting...a newer and better thing will be there every year!"

That really misses the point.

Modulo things like QC/build quality, are the "specs" of a piece of consumer electronics a monotonically increasing function? Sure. Is it linear? Not by a damn sight.

Extreme example: The last G4 Powerbook wasn't really all that much slower -- and if in fact, in certain cases it was faster -- than the first Intel Macbook Pro. But would you be pissed if you bought the G4 two weeks before the Intel came out and doomed you to an early obsolesce? Absolutely.

I have an iPad Air. I don't use it a ton, but it's almost a completely different product than the iPad that preceded it. Yes processors get faster, ram densities get larger, etc., but there are other, major changes that don't happen every day. New specifications, form factor changes, interface additions etc., that simply make sense to wait for if you know they're coming.

I see HDMI 2.0 as one of these things.

Why? Because I plan to buy a pretty expensive AVR and keep it for awhile. Actually, if there were any pre/pro sets available I'd consider those too.

Anyway, the idea of getting a hundred bucks of a lesser quality (i.e. 2000 series) amp that's got 1.4 doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Denon usually releases their new models May/June, so it could be soon.

Thanks for the info. The whole reason for this post was mainly just to bitch :D, but also, to see if anyone knew when Denon was going to release their new gear. As I said, Onkyo and Pioneer have already released/announced a few 2.0 receivers, so it makes sense that other companies would be following suit soon.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You lose me a bit at the end there, but finally someone who gets it.

The rest of you crack me up. I hear all the time "There's no sense in waiting...a newer and better thing will be there every year!"

That really misses the point.

Modulo things like QC/build quality, are the "specs" of a piece of consumer electronics a monotonically increasing function? Sure. Is it linear? Not by a damn sight.

Extreme example: The last G4 Powerbook wasn't really all that much slower -- and if in fact, in certain cases it was faster -- than the first Intel Macbook Pro. But would you be pissed if you bought the G4 two weeks before the Intel came out and doomed you to an early obsolesce? Absolutely.

I have an iPad Air. I don't use it a ton, but it's almost a completely different product than the iPad that preceded it. Yes processors get faster, ram densities get larger, etc., but there are other, major changes that don't happen every day. New specifications, form factor changes, interface additions etc., that simply make sense to wait for if you know they're coming.

I see HDMI 2.0 as one of these things.

Why? Because I plan to buy a pretty expensive AVR and keep it for awhile. Actually, if there were any pre/pro sets available I'd consider those too.

Anyway, the idea of getting a hundred bucks of a lesser quality (i.e. 2000 series) amp that's got 1.4 doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Thanks for the info. The whole reason for this post was mainly just to bitch :D, but also, to see if anyone knew when Denon was going to release their new gear. As I said, Onkyo and Pioneer have already released/announced a few 2.0 receivers, so it makes sense that other companies would be following suit soon.

I was talking at first, about myself directly...if I were buying today I may hesitate and wait.

However if I was just upgrading a boat anchor that still happen to work and had no HDMI...I'd just get the best one I could today.

The last sentence...the only use for HDMI 2.0 is for 4k viewing and screen prices and content are years away at best. By then you can get a HDMI 2.0 receiver for cheap. I never buy electronics (except video game consoles) expecting them to have a usage measured in years from now. For someone who still makes use of a receiver with no HDMI, they won't be the ones early adopting 4k and actually using 2.0 and who knows...in a few years when 4k is really a thing they may make a new HDMI or display standard for 4k 3D 48fps or something and you'll want that.

Last edited: