*OFFICIAL* Team Fortress 2 Strategy Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: gorobei
for you uber chargers out there. Stay away from the medicine cabinet, it just takes longer. Admittedly you don't have to think about it, just hold down the LMB. But a good demo can keep his health between 50 and 100 so the health meter stays flashing red critical, which charges faster.

When im a demo I do this. If you know the radius of your stickies you can stay below 70 hp constantly, a quick boost for uber.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Actually, for a soldier who knows what he's doing, the medicine cabinet is much quicker. 1) You can do the most damage to yourself quickly by going against a wall instead of against the ground. 2) If you hit the medicine cabinet right, you can reload your rockets before running out without the slow reload animation, as well as not getting health. Try it. :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
As a Sniper, I try not to leave my laser sight on the wall where you are expecting the people to come through, because if they are paying attention at all they will see it and go another route.

For example on 2Fort, if you are on the top part of your base sniping the other side, do not keep your laser sight pointed on the inside wall where the guys have to walk out, keep your laser on the outside wall where they can't see it then just quickly move it over when someone comes out and nail them. This works very well for me. :)

KT

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Balt
Here's something useful that someone explained to me over voice comm a couple of nights ago:

If you are approaching a choke point where you know there is a sentry and you've got a medic with an invuln up, tell the medic to rush in first after activating it. The sentry will stay locked onto him and it's much easier for the damage class to kill the sentry when he's not fighting against the sentry's knockback.

Hey that's pretty smart, i gotta try that

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
One thing that I've used with relative success, demoman sticky grenades can be moved with a melee weapon or a shot from most weapons (shotguns are very effective), occasionally you can hit the stickies so the demoman will blow himself up when he detonates them.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm a pyro, so I just set stuff on fire. Who needs more strategy than that???

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Balt
Here's something useful that someone explained to me over voice comm a couple of nights ago:

If you are approaching a choke point where you know there is a sentry and you've got a medic with an invuln up, tell the medic to rush in first after activating it. The sentry will stay locked onto him and it's much easier for the damage class to kill the sentry when he's not fighting against the sentry's knockback.

Hey that's pretty smart, i gotta try that
Yeah it works quite well. Sometimes though you'll rush out (either as the medic or the guy he's got ubered) and the rockets blow you about a mile away from your partner, lol. Needless to say, it's pretty much fail at that point. :D

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
A couple tips for spies (I know these seem obvious but I see a lot of spies doing this)
1) Don't cloak or uncloak in plain site, it makes it real easy to find a spy when I see an engineer disappear or reappear out of nowhere
2) Be unpredictable, that means don't sneak up along the same route, don't hide in the same spots because it makes you really easy to stop

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
as a full time medic, here are my perspectives (pls critique):

1) DO yell medic, so I know where to come. It's a great tracking device so to speak after I die, respawn, and don't know where the heat of battle is at. Of course, do not spam this, I usually end up "picking the call" from to the same guy who I was healing and ignore the others.

2) Uber: this I never get it right. Usually, and most effectively, it is the guy who I was healing will tell me when to uber. So, do TELL me when to uber. Now, I know, without a a headset/mic, typing would be too difficult to call for Uber (yet, I've played with one dude who can type AND play in the same time). anyway, last thing about uber, half the time I WON'T use it at the most optimal time, it is because I have low health and rather use it to keep myself alive. So don't get upset like "wtf, why did u uber just now????!?!?!?!!?" Truth is, if I am gonna die anyways, might as well use it now to keep me longer.

3) I usually heal Heavy first, it is the safest way to live; and if I am adventurous, a brave Pyro, this combo is quite devasting. Soldier is the "middle way" between safe and adventurous. Medic on Medic is kinda not efficient, since I stay behind the line of fire, the other medic is better to serve the guys who need it most on the battlefield. 2-3 per team is optimal, just as with any class (except Spy, which I think 1 is enough).

4) my worst enemy is Pyro and Demo. Cuz once on Fire, I usually have to leave the battle and leave my commrade without heal. And Demo's bouncing bomb which doesn't hit the guy I am healing, will probably hit me. :(

5) Multitasking: this is the meat and most important of all - to heal one guy or all.
Now, as someone mentioned above, the BEST case scenario is to heal the guys who need it most and don't stick to the same guy who has full health. However, this doesn't work quite well in the real world. Classic case: I ubered a soldier, who is fighting one enemy. Then, there is another soldier on my team who has literally zero health, so I heal him too - effectively, this will turn into a 2-to-1 battle. Win for sure. however, as i heal the other guy, the first guy thought he was invisible got kill instantly by a rocket. He then scream and yelled at me.
Now, practicing makes perfect, I do tend to stick with the same guy even though there will be others who need it more. I will try to 'multi-task' heal several ppl only when BEHIND the line of fire.

6) DO use the hacksaw. even though I love powning the guy with the syringe gun, it does pretty weak damage. For a soldier, engineer, or any "light infantry" I use the gun. Against a Heavy, Hacksaw for sure. (I have pown a heavy from behind with a saw).

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp

Maybe the happier/slightly better colour scheme has a positive effect.

I find the red base's chaotic farmhouse look highly distracting. There could be a real psychological cause to this disparity.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: oogabooga
Sadly being a good medic is similar to being a good healer in a MMORPG in that your 'skill' makes up for about 60% of how effective you are. The other 40% is how effective your team is at stopping the other team is from slaughtering you. Case in point? The Medic has the shortage life expectancy of any class. I love playing medic, but sometime I can only stand watching the other team rush me while my team runs ahead of me or what not so many times before I go "you know what else is fun? Demoman."

I don't know, when I am a Medic, I feel I have a sort of overall responsibility to my team, not just to heal one dude. I tend to become a bit of an observer, calling out when enemies come are coming from different areas, or pointing out different things to watch out for. Obviously you have to look out for yourself a bit as well, but as long as you don't run into battle like a madman, you should be able to do OK hiding around corners and whatnot. The more you communicate in this game, the better you will do and I find this is particularly true when playing a Medic.

KT

Better than a Heavy-Medic combo is to have 2 medics along with the heavy. That way you can heal each other. Usually the 2nd medic and hide far away enough and still heal the first medic. Others will tend to follow when they see two medics helping in the same area. Also you can chain Uber so the heavy/pyro can rampage for longer.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp
Originally posted by: Bonesdad
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Various TF2 stats...heat map of death areas, what characters are picked most often, who lives the longest, etc.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Interesting that blue teams win 2fort significantly more than red teams...

Maybe the happier/slightly better colour scheme has a positive effect.

Better dead than Red

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
no one loves scout?

i play scout all the time. i just love to dodge bullets.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Juno
no one loves scout?

I play Scout sometimes to screw around with the enemies. It can do hit and runs pretty nicely. Still though, one rocket takes you out...

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: Juno
no one loves scout?

I play Scout sometimes to screw around with the enemies. It can do hit and runs pretty nicely. Still though, one rocket takes you out...

well, you can move fast enough to dodge rockets AND bullets ;p