*****Official South Carolina Primary Thread******

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/p...in/bulletin_080118.htm

Two Polls Show McCain Holding Narrow SC Lead
Sen. John McCain appears to have a slight edge going into tomorrow's South Carolina voting. McClatchy reports McCain and Huckabee "are neck and neck heading into Saturday's Republican primary in South Carolina, where the outcome could hinge on a bloc of undecided evangelical voters, according to a new McClatchy-MSNBC poll." The poll of 400 likely Republican primary voters, conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research over January 14-16, shows McCain leading with 27%, followed by Huckabee, 25%; Mitt Romney, 15%; Fred Thompson, 13%; Ron Paul, 6%; and Rudy Giuliani, 5%.

A Zogby International poll of 814 likely GOP primary voters taken January 15-17 shows McCain leading with 27%, followed by Huckabee, 22%; Romney, 15%; Thompson, 13%; Paul, 4%; and Giuliani, 2%

If McCain wins he will have killed off Huck, imho.
Then its McCain against Guiliani. And Guiliani must win Florida or else its locked up for McCain.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
So does this mean that, Fred is dead? Does this mean that if McCain wins the GOP is dead? I'd say it does for sure, give McCain time to reflect his insanity to the rest of America and you'll see a landslide victory for the Democrats unlike any before.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I wonder if McCain can still legally buy a gun, now that Congress past the Veterans Disarmament Act.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
preemptive grats to Obama.

I think if/when McCain wins, though, it won't change much for the GOP race, outside of maybe Fred Thompson dropping out. this was supposed to be the state where he could prove that he really did have support, despite whatever we may have seen in the northern primaries.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: bamacre
I wonder if McCain can still legally buy a gun, now that Congress past the Veterans Disarmament Act.

You know I really hope not. The man is completely irrational. Have you ever seen what he does to people who disagree with him? I think he's a closet wife beater.

Once McCain makes up his mind about something there is no more discourse on the matter. If you attempt to disagree with him he will publicly ridicule you as if it is you who is in the wrong.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
take a look at the NH town halls. McCain had pretty calm discussions with people who disagreed with him (as opposed to Ron Paul, who has, what... invitation-only events? great way to hear and respond to opposing view points :roll:)

calling him a wife beater is border-line trolling... don't know why I'm arguing with Mavtek, though. he's been a RP spammer since the day he joined the forums (you know, 3 days ago)

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: loki8481
take a look at the NH town halls. McCain had pretty calm discussions with people who disagreed with him (as opposed to Ron Paul, who has, what... invitation-only events? great way to hear and respond to opposing view points :roll:)

calling him a wife beater is border-line trolling... don't know why I'm arguing with Mavtek, though. he's been a RP spammer since the day he joined the forums (you know, 3 days ago)

Actually I was a member of Anandtech forums in 1999 under the username Corey76. I used to spend quite a bit of time in the "Hotdeals" subsection. As finding great deals for myself and others lost it's luster I lost touch with the forum. Unfortunately I also lost the email I originally set myself up with. That's ok, I just setup a new user because I saw that Anandtech has a political forum! Cool beans! I've been on Townhall, and Politico for years, but I thought this would be cool again, so I joined back up.

As far as McCain, I know what I know because I've spoken to both John Cornyn and Pete Sessions about him. Pete is my congressman and John Cornyn is my senator. What they've told me has also been widely reported. McCain is a hot head, and he lacks the "temperament" to hold such a high office as Senator. Trust me, he's not a nice guy. As far as Ron Paul's townhall in New Hampshire I haven't heard anything regarding it being invitation only, but I'd love to hear more about that.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/n...les/070527/4mccain.htm

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100

Actually I was a member of Anandtech forums in 1999 under the username Corey76. I used to spend quite a bit of time in the "Hotdeals" subsection. As finding great deals for myself and others lost it's luster I lost touch with the forum. Unfortunately I also lost the email I originally set myself up with. That's ok, I just setup a new user because I saw that Anandtech has a political forum! Cool beans! I've been on Townhall, and Politico for years, but I thought this would be cool again, so I joined back up.

As far as McCain, I know what I know because I've spoken to both John Cornyn and Pete Sessions about him. Pete is my congressman and John Cornyn is my senator. What they've told me has also been widely reported. McCain is a hot head, and he lacks the "temperament" to hold such a high office as Senator. Trust me, he's not a nice guy. As far as Ron Paul's townhall in New Hampshire I haven't heard anything regarding it being invitation only, but I'd love to hear more about that.

Who the F wants a "nice guy" to be the CEO of the country? I'd like someone with diplomatic abilities, and I haven't seen one candidate who I think lacks that quality. Obama is known for having a temper, he admits it, but is he anything but butter smooth in public?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
While I agree that we can have threads on each and every primary, this one may be days late and dollars short. Because in another day, SC will be going to actually vote, and in 36 hours the results will be known in the only poll that matters.

The only do or die will be for Thompson who may be forced to drop unless he gets far more than polling data suggests. But if it goes as polling suggests, everyone else will be in descent shape. With the next do or die being in Florida for Giuliani who almost must come in first or get a strong second to stay alive.

But if forced to make a prediction about the GOP side, I see it coming down to McCain and Romney if Giuliani proves unviable.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Loki, I'd love a reply, if you have one.

not much to reply to.

I wouldn't take two random politicians word about anything, and I don't really care of the president of the united states is a nice guy or not. I want someone with experience and resolve who can find a balance between riding the consistency train head first into a brick wall vs changing positions after every focus group meeting.

I think McCain's voting record shows a willingness to work out compromises without abandoning core principles and the capacity to listen to what people want (like his change on the immigration issue). I can forgive him the occasional pander, as long as he doesn't drift into Romney-level pandering, because honor isn't worth a cup of coffee if you're not in a position to enact change.

edit: and the invitation-only RP rallies were in Nevada.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Ok so Loki they were invitation only Rallies in Nevada, not Townhall's? Link? Now I can only assume the invitations were to make sure people knew about the Rally, I doubt they had anything to do with being invite only.

As far as McCain goes, I'm sorry, we just don't need another fly off the handle, I'm the decider, my way or no way president IMHO.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I have a minor dilemma here; do I go to the GOP primaries tomorrow to vote against Rudy, Mitt and Huck, or do I wait a week to vote against Hillary? If I go Republican, Ron Paul would probably be the best protest of the leading candidates. If I go Democrat who could I actually vote for? SC doesn't have an "Uncommitted" option, and I have problems with Edwards and Obama. Maybe I should vote for Biden...

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Joe, I'm protesting with you, I'm protesting and voting Ron Paul. There is no better protest, as he's already 4th in the GOP in popular vote. The more votes he gets, the more you stand in line with our protest.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
I have a minor dilemma here; do I go to the GOP primaries tomorrow to vote against Rudy, Mitt and Huck, or do I wait a week to vote against Hillary? If I go Republican, Ron Paul would probably be the best protest of the leading candidates. If I go Democrat who could I actually vote for? SC doesn't have an "Uncommitted" option, and I have problems with Edwards and Obama. Maybe I should vote for Biden...

May as well not even vote, seems whoever wins you won't like them anyhow :laugh:

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

Well both of the folks you speak of were balls deep in the "DeLay bends over all non-white Texans" fiasco so I personally don't give your guys take on McCain much credit. In fact I'd be pretty pissy too if I were forced to endure their political slants as part of my job.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Farang
May as well not even vote, seems whoever wins you won't like them anyhow :laugh:
Too true. Once again, the rancid fat has risen to the top of both candidate pools as what little cream there was disappeared early on.

Re: the Republican primary, more questions on the integrity of electronic voting. Most of the polls in McCain's prime territory on the coast have had problems with dead voting machines. "Human error" in not properly resetting the machines after their final tests so that >80% of the polling places had no working machines, and little or no paper backup. McCain's staff is trying to get polling hours extended, but the only Circuit Court judge in Horry County can't be found.

Conspiracy theorists, break out the tinfoil hats. Your moment has arrived again.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
so, how soon till Fred Thompson drops out and endorses McCain?

I heard that rumor, but then Fred came out and said he doesn't like McCain in the least, so that's not going to happen. As a matter of fact if Thompson places well I see him keeping a going. Remember he did well in Iowa.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
so, how soon till Fred Thompson drops out and endorses McCain?

I heard that rumor, but then Fred came out and said he doesn't like McCain in the least, so that's not going to happen. As a matter of fact if Thompson places well I see him keeping a going. Remember he did well in Iowa.

if you consider beating ron paul by 3% good.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Someone mentioned a week or two ago that a national primary would be bad because only big-money candidates could run. I think Romney is proof of this, he is grabbing all of these delegates through the back door, in states that other candidates haven't bothered (or maybe haven't been able to afford) to campaign in. This strategy means he is basically guaranteed to be one of the frontrunners going into Super Tuesday.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
looks like south carolina is about to make amends for 2000 by voting for the right person this time ;)

McCain's up by 8% with 23% reporting.