Official PSVita launch thread.

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Last year the ps3 was hacked wide open and Sony faught it every step of the way. Updates and patches every few days to fix the latest vulnerability... All of that. I'm sure they'll take the same stance with the vita. Don't count on homebrew AND psn access.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Plus piracy (which cannot exist without homebrew) is what made the PSP's software attach rate in the US so pitifully low and drove US devs away from the PSP in the first place.

I think I would blame that on the lack of good games. :p

Although, I say that and I think I own around 10+ PSP games.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Despite my gripes I'm still having quite a bit of fun with this thing. I really like games that take hold of what's possible with the machine and polishing it smooth, instead of porting over a full console engine and hoping you'll overlook its shortcomings. For example, I like the colorful and sharp looks of Rayman and MvC3 but am really not impressed by Uncharted.

bebopulation

Mar 26, 2012
I reference this tiny bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_homebrew#Sony.27s_position

Obviously Sony will never be in direct support of homebrew since it has (indirect?) ties with piracy. However, as has been evidenced by the last 10 years worth of DRM advancements and jailbroken portable devices, tight hardware restrictions tend to upset customers who want full reign over the things they own. And, as history has shown, where there's a will, there's a way. And in the opinion of this humble consumer, I'd be much happier with Sony if they'd divert some of their resources from fighting an uphill battle to producing quality content.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
However, as has been evidenced by the last 10 years worth of DRM advancements and jailbroken portable devices, tight hardware restrictions tend to upset customers who want full reign over the things they own. And, as history has shown, where there's a will, there's a way. And in the opinion of this humble consumer, I'd be much happier with Sony if they'd divert some of their resources from fighting an uphill battle to producing quality content.
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Apple is the textbook case for people accepting DRM, and even the Xbox 360 does fairly well in that regard. Ultimately it's very possible to have a DRM scheme that is both systematically hard to defeat, and liberal enough that no one minds.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Still not jailbroken? I'm a bit surprised this far into its release, honestly. I was also under the impression that Sony was "okay" with the homebrew on the PSP to some extent. Is that not the case anymore?

Either way, I'm holding off on my purchase until some homebrew hits. I'm not against buying Vita titles and I like the idea of an online store to get some of the older titles, mind you, but my primary interest is running a SNES/NES/etc emulator on it.

Is there a good site or RSS feed I can follow on this topic?

There are a million and one handheld devices out there that will play your NES/SNES emulators on them. I'd be perfectly happy if they prevented a widespread "homebrew" scene on the vita entirely. Despite what may be best intentions (not convinced that's the case), homebrew pretty much always leads to piracy. The Vita, like the PSP, will live or die based on software sales, so opening a door that will allow for people to pirate Vita games would only send the system down the same path as the PSP went, where no one bought any games and developers/publishers abandoned the platform everywhere except Japan.

bebopulation

Mar 26, 2012
There are a million and one handheld devices out there that will play your NES/SNES emulators on them. I'd be perfectly happy if they prevented a widespread "homebrew" scene on the vita entirely. Despite what may be best intentions (not convinced that's the case), homebrew pretty much always leads to piracy. The Vita, like the PSP, will live or die based on software sales, so opening a door that will allow for people to pirate Vita games would only send the system down the same path as the PSP went, where no one bought any games and developers/publishers abandoned the platform everywhere except Japan.

I'd rather have emulators on a Vita though because I still want to play PSP/Vita games. The Vita's not worth its total cost without homebrew support, in my wallet's opinion. And Sony is throwing away resources trying to lock it down when it should be developing more reasons to buy the device in the first place -- not putting its shareholders above its customers.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
I'd rather have emulators on a Vita though because I still want to play PSP/Vita games. The Vita's not worth its total cost without homebrew support, in my wallet's opinion. And Sony is throwing away resources trying to lock it down when it should be developing more reasons to buy the device in the first place -- not putting its shareholders above its customers.

If a majority of Sony's "customers" didn't go out of their way to run the PSP into the ground with rampant piracy, I'm sure Sony would probably be more willing to oblige.

Everything Sony had had to do to lock down the PS3 was in response to the bullshit "homebrew" claims of people who in the end just wanted to get games for free. I don't blame Sony for locking down their systems, I blame the f-tards who took Sony's goodwill and turned it against them.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Decided to pick up the Vita yesterday. So far, I've only downloaded the freebies and a few demos for games I may be interested in. Suprisingly, most of my PSPgo games I've downloaded in the past were installable. I find it weird that Sony only let me download Patapon 2 and Tomb Raider Legends and made me transfer the rest from my PS3 (Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Rock Band Unplugged).

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
What happened to the 3/27 launch date of Silent Hill - Book of Memories? Lack of games and compatibility just makes me want to sell this unit.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
What happened to the 3/27 launch date of Silent Hill - Book of Memories? Lack of games and compatibility just makes me want to sell this unit.

Got delayed to end of May. I got one at Amazon Warehouse for a good price with I am debating whether to keep it or to sell it due to lack of good games. Need a bona fide games but I realize it has been less than two months since the launch...

PuppettMaster001

Golden Member
May 11, 2002

It was pushed back to May 31st, might be something to do with the recent lackluster HD release for the PS3/360.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm thinking of picking one up once my tax return money comes in so that'll be in a month or so.

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
It took a while but this is one awesome portable game console,it was a bit heavier than I expected but this thing rocks.

Thank you taco bell,the gas was worth it....:p

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Finished Mutant Blobs Attack the other day. Pretty awesome game overall and the ending was great. Might even go back to 100% the trophies down the road.

That said, I really wish the analog sticks had more resistence. They're way too flimsy making shooters like Uncharted a lot harder to control. It's difficult from a layout point of view too, but IMO the sticks just move too easily. It'll make shooters a lot less enjoyable unfortunately.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Received Hot Shots Golf and Lumines from Amazon Warehouse yesterday but will be returning both. Lumines is boring to me, and I was afraid of this when I ordered since I felt the same for PSP version.

Hot Shots Golf is really fun, but I noticed that the online pass was redeemed, so I will be purchasing a brand new one instead. The case also came damaged despite being in "like new" condition.

Rayman coming in today! Woohoo! I really wish PSP games are more reasonable in price. Some of the pricing is ridiculous.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Hot Shots Golf is really fun, but I noticed that the online pass was redeemed, so I will be purchasing a brand new one instead.
At this point the Vita is like most other consoles: any major game that has meaningful MP will have an online pass to impede used game sales. Unless you want to pony up for the pass, buying used MP games isn't a good idea.:(

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
my PS Vita is collecting dust since I beat uncharted :(

I feel like rayman was just a waste of money. I just couldn't get into it...

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
So received Rayman Origins from Amazon Warehouse today, popped it in, and nothing... I was like wtf? and I take the card out and look at the back where the connectors are. I noticed one of them damaged a little... Like new my ass, this pisses me off.