* OFFICIAL * Prediction Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I need to free up sig room, so dumping it here instead:

4/22/08, oil @ 119.37. My prediction: major oil bubble. She's gonna burst, people! I WIN

9/25/08. Prediction: $700B bailout will substantially underperform and/or be greatly (at least 50%) expanded within 12 months. Guarantee its quantifiable ROI (debt that doesn't turn out to be total loss) less than 60%. I WIN

11/18/08: If Big 3 get another $25B, it will NOT stop at $50B total.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I predict that Obama will win in a landslide, but will never take office. Martial law will be declared January 18 during the NFL playoffs just before the inauguration, allowing consolidation of neocon power under continuation of government laws that are already in place. I will be safely out of the country on a beach in St. Maarten at the time if anyone needs me.

Was this a parody or a real prediction?

Bump for a good thread concept.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Ooh fun thread. Let's revive it.

Democrats lose 45 total seats in November of this year, lose the House but not the Senate.

Unemployment stands at 9.3% at the end of this year.

The DOW is at 12,000 at the end of this year.

Out on a limb: by the middle of next year, the situation in Afghanistan will be considered reasonably favorable for a gradual withdrawal. The surge will have worked.

Obama and the republicans pass a bi-partison deficit reduction bill in 2011 that will be a small step in the right direction, but heavily compromized and not near enough.

With unemployment standing at 7.8%, Obama is re-elected in 2012.

- wolf

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
at some point, something bad will happen. and then later, it will get better. the politicians in office will have no actual impact on either the problem or solution but will blame the cause on the people who came before them and take full credit for the solution themselves.
holy shit, 100% correct :eek:

I'll throw out a more specific prediction, though... Sarah Palin will not win a single GOP primary if she chooses to run (and she probably won't) and the 2012 GOP nominee will be someone who does not currently have a major voice on the national stage.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Health Care bill will be found impossible to implement. Not enough doctors. Hospitals being cancelled. Insurance companies going bankrupt. Health care costs rising. People will not be able to find a doctor and if they can they will have to wait forever to get an appointment. It will make the VA look like a good deal.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Goody!

We leave Afghanistan pretty much according to schedule. In a year it will all go to hell again.

Dems lose the House but retain the Senate, but by a smaller margin.

Obama will probably win, not because of his programs or anything other than the fact that the Reps still favor Sarah Palin over a Bill Buckley. Consequently they have no intellectual voice and trip over their own feet again. This changes if they completely surprise me.

People will continue to be led like sheep, with the two major parties in complete control until the nation falls or the end of the world, whichever comes first.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Health Care bill will be found impossible to implement. Not enough doctors. Hospitals being cancelled. Insurance companies going bankrupt. Health care costs rising. People will not be able to find a doctor and if they can they will have to wait forever to get an appointment. It will make the VA look like a good deal.

When?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
After three or four Federal election cycles the GOP becomes a national political party again that is no longer dominated by their old South Strategy.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Eighteen months to two years before we get the second dip of a recession.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
2010 elections: Democrats retain majority status in both the House and Senate, but by a slimmer margin.