Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The PS5 version has to be really badly optimized crap coz the graphics look only marginally improved compared to the original. The colors are dull and drab, making it look like something from the PS3 era at best. I pity whoever pays $60 for this load of crap. Better to watch the two movies (yes, even the 2nd one is better than playing this crapfest).
Really compared to the PS2 version the remake looks just marginally better? I think it's on point with other older remakes. Graphics look decent and will probably be much better looking with RT at 4k with DLSS if that's available.

The video does show side by side comparison between the PS2 and PS5. As for the colors, I think it's supposed to be drab and dull to retain the foggy atmosphere that goes with the environment of the game.

It's definitely not as good looking as the resident evil games from what I've seen.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I am not sure what you are seeing but the graphics are MUCH better than they were on the PS2 lol.

And the original games were dark/dreary/foggy as well. That is the style.

Jul 27, 2020
And the original games were dark/dreary/foggy as well. That is the style.
Those original graphics made sense on the hardware of that time. Those same crappy environments on a PS5? Yuck. The game only looks better to me when he's outside. Inside, it's like they are creating 90% of the horror from darkness and dullness. For me, that would be horror from depression of watching such a bad indoors environment. I just don't understand why anyone would pay good money for something that looks so crappy.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
BTW the Slim and the Slim Disc model are back on sale for $50 less. Course that means the Pro is currently $300 more, haha.

Reactions: Mopetar

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well Well Well... Amazon says 10k+ preorders for the Pro. Might be scalpers though (which is dumb but scalpers are dumb so...).

Oh and Astro Bot is quite good.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well Well Well... Amazon says 10k+ preorders for the Pro. Might be scalpers though (which is dumb but scalpers are dumb so...).

Oh and Astro Bot is quite good.
Just curious - where did they say that?

They are still available just FWIW.

Also, 10k in the grand scheme of things is not much at all.

Reactions: Mopetar

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Just curious - where did they say that?

If you search for stuff on Amazon, some products will say how many it sold in the last month. For comparison, the Slim Disc was 10k and the Portal was 9k. Obviously since it hasn't been released it has to be preorders.

I doubt it'll sell well but perhaps enough so that it's not a total disaster.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If you search for stuff on Amazon, some products will say how many it sold in the last month. For comparison, the Slim Disc was 10k and the Portal was 9k. Obviously since it hasn't been released it has to be preorders.

I doubt it'll sell well but perhaps enough so that it's not a total disaster.
Where are you seeing the numbers though? I'm just curious at this point. I see it's the #1 seller but I don't see numbers.

EDIT:

I see PS Portal shows 10k sold last month in the search result, but I don't see that for PS5 Pro.

EDIT 2:

Okay I think I see what you are saying. I think your corelation doesn't work out though lol but maybe I'm wrong. The month started 12 days ago so probably in 12 days of sales PS5 Pro may be the best selling for the time being. They are both "best sellers" right now though.

Also if you click on the "best seller" link for the PS5 Pro, it links to "Playstation 5 best selling games" and is #1 in that list. And the normal slim is nowhere in that list at all, so I think it's treating the Pro as a game right now.

EDIT 3:

I spent way too much time on this lmao!

m0Yn0j0.png

Last edited:

marees

Apr 28, 2024
Advantages of console gaming:

God of War Ragnarok on PC made me want a PS5 Pro – here's why​

When I booted up God of War Ragnarok on PC I encountered several issues that impeded my precious gaming time. First, the game failed to recognize the DualSense controller, which left me no choice but to restart the application.

A quick change in Steam fixed the issue, but after waiting for the shaders to compile, which can take several minutes depending on your CPU, I jumped into the game only to be met with audio coming from the wrong source. This isn’t usually a big deal, but once I’d changed it to my preferred setting the game began stuttering like crazy, leading to another restart.

The next stumbling block was getting HDR to look right, which is temperamental at best on PC and another issue I’d never have to deal with on PS5. The fix was relatively quick and painless, but I’d now faced three barriers to entry that are all too common on PC.

Despite having God of War Ragnarok running fully maxed out on PC, the differences with the PS5 version weren’t as stark as I’d hoped. However, the increase in image quality was noticeable, making the game’s already impressive visuals look even better.

There’s no way that the PC version of God of War Ragnarok was worth waiting for, though, which makes the PS5 Pro suddenly more appealing. Playing the best PS5 games on day one, with all the convenience and features that Sony’s console provides but at a quality level much closer to what my PC is capable of is tempting.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Advantages of console gaming:

God of War Ragnarok on PC made me want a PS5 Pro – here's why​

When I booted up God of War Ragnarok on PC I encountered several issues that impeded my precious gaming time. First, the game failed to recognize the DualSense controller, which left me no choice but to restart the application.

A quick change in Steam fixed the issue, but after waiting for the shaders to compile, which can take several minutes depending on your CPU, I jumped into the game only to be met with audio coming from the wrong source. This isn’t usually a big deal, but once I’d changed it to my preferred setting the game began stuttering like crazy, leading to another restart.

The next stumbling block was getting HDR to look right, which is temperamental at best on PC and another issue I’d never have to deal with on PS5. The fix was relatively quick and painless, but I’d now faced three barriers to entry that are all too common on PC.

Despite having God of War Ragnarok running fully maxed out on PC, the differences with the PS5 version weren’t as stark as I’d hoped. However, the increase in image quality was noticeable, making the game’s already impressive visuals look even better.

There’s no way that the PC version of God of War Ragnarok was worth waiting for, though, which makes the PS5 Pro suddenly more appealing. Playing the best PS5 games on day one, with all the convenience and features that Sony’s console provides but at a quality level much closer to what my PC is capable of is tempting.
Personally I'd rather not spend $810 on the PS5 Pro and just let the shaders compile while I go to the bathroom or make a bowl of ramen or take the dog outside for a few minutes. And god I hate the DualSense, I would never use it on PC. It's the crappiest controller I have used since the Atari 5200. Only time before DualSense I have ever gotten stick drift was on a 360 controller where I tied a rubber band really taut to have it train the sneak skill for 12 hours in Oblivion when I went to work. So I can't blame that 360 controller for drifting since I did something stupid with it. But I have had two DualSense develop stick drift despite not playing any kind of twitch shooters or anything like that known for causing stick drift. If I could use 8BitDo controllers on PS5 I'd have no use for a DualSense again. And Ragnarok is unplayable with a controller with any kind of drift since it makes aiming axe throws impossible.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm curious how silent hill 2 will run on the PS5 Pro. Digital foundry came out with the performance video for PC and they call it a stutter fest but it doesn't have to do with shader compilation. Shaders do actually compile during load but the stutter is due to UE5 engine and it's traversal. There's also animation stutter which they say is also apparent in the PS5 version, but it's less noticeable due to the locked 30 in quality mode.

They say you could alleviate some of the stutter on PC but you would need to lock it to 30 fps anyway.

I'm hoping by the time I finish Wukong Blooper team will say something about a patch because I'd prefer to get it on PC.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Personally I'd rather not spend $810 on the PS5 Pro and just let the shaders compile while I go to the bathroom or make a bowl of ramen or take the dog outside for a few minutes. And god I hate the DualSense, I would never use it on PC. It's the crappiest controller I have used since the Atari 5200. Only time before DualSense I have ever gotten stick drift was on a 360 controller where I tied a rubber band really taut to have it train the sneak skill for 12 hours in Oblivion when I went to work. So I can't blame that 360 controller for drifting since I did something stupid with it. But I have had two DualSense develop stick drift despite not playing any kind of twitch shooters or anything like that known for causing stick drift. If I could use 8BitDo controllers on PS5 I'd have no use for a DualSense again. And Ragnarok is unplayable with a controller with any kind of drift since it makes aiming axe throws impossible.
I don't know, I think stick drift is kind of a lottery. They all use the same ALPS stick modules. I have had Xbox controllers develop drift, but never had my switch controllers hit it which are notorious for it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Crap game also runs like crap? :D

Seriously, if you buy PS5 Pro for THAT game...
I bought one just because I like having the latest gadgets, not specifically for silent hill. I don't think I would ever buy a console for solely one game. But it seems to play smoother on console despite not having the same visuals you can get on a 4k display using PC.

Unfortunately performance is often a second thought with console ports.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ah this is interesting, they are piecemealing (?) the new Astro Bot levels. The first of the 5 comes out tomorrow and they will release an additional level each Thursday.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ah this is interesting, they are piecemealing (?) the new Astro Bot levels. The first of the 5 comes out tomorrow and they will release an additional level each Thursday.
I am not a fan of content dripping out like this. I will play them but I'm not going to turn it on every Thursday just to play one level then turn it off for a week. I will do it all at once probably.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That also happened with the previous Hitman game where they had levels based on seasonal updates. Then they end up reselling the full game later with additional stuff.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So I played the level just to see. It's a speed running level and not like a full length one... I died once and then got a little over 50 seconds. That wasn't good enough to get both bots but it doesn't tell you what the target time is.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So I played the level just to see. It's a speed running level and not like a full length one... I died once and then got a little over 50 seconds. That wasn't good enough to get both bots but it doesn't tell you what the target time is.
After like 6-7 attempts my best was 38.116 seconds.

I got the 2 bots on my first try and it was like 48 seconds. I'm guessing based on your comment 50 seconds is the threshold.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
After like 6-7 attempts my best was 38.116 seconds.

I got the 2 bots on my first try and it was like 48 seconds. I'm guessing based on your comment 50 seconds is the threshold.

I think you're right. I didn't notice it earlier but there's two birdies that also run the course, probably represent the thresholds.

Best I could do after a bunch of tries was just under 37. That'll be good enough for me I think.