Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I got it! Holy crap I got one! Got the disc version (so I can play my PS4 games) and a midnight controller! I am stoked!

Nice. Yeah this disc version is a must, as physical games are so much cheaper, at least in the first 2 years or so a game is out. In about 9 months of ownership I have spent around $230 less on games physical than I would have getting the same games digital. Though maybe half of that comes from raiding clearance games at Walmart around Halloween when they had a bunch of awesome games for ridiculously low clearance prices, like $2 to $4.

HardcoreGR

Dec 14, 2021
I was expecting Sony to sell over 50 for a PS5 cover anyway.

Not to mention that I was waiting those to be released earlier. They sued every faceplace creator out there.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So the PS5 should be arriving today but I have questions:

My PS4 has a 2tb HD internally and a 1tb externally. The PS5 has 800gb or so but I do have a 2tb nvme gen 4 drive that I bought a few months ago in anticipation of getting a PS5.

Do I add the nvme drive to the PS5 before I copy anything over?

When doing the data transfer to the PS5 from PS4 do the systems know I have an external drive on the PS4 that needs to go to the PS5?

Or, should I add the nvme drive to the PS5 and add an external 4tb ssd and then copy over the data?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So the PS5 should be arriving today but I have questions:

My PS4 has a 2tb HD internally and a 1tb externally. The PS5 has 800gb or so but I do have a 2tb nvme gen 4 drive that I bought a few months ago in anticipation of getting a PS5.

Do I add the nvme drive to the PS5 before I copy anything over?

When doing the data transfer to the PS5 from PS4 do the systems know I have an external drive on the PS4 that needs to go to the PS5?

Or, should I add the nvme drive to the PS5 and add an external 4tb ssd and then copy over the data?
If you want to transfer everything over from your PS4 I would install the 2tb nvme in the PS5, reinstall the operating system on it via USB from Sony's site, then once you do that you can go through the setup process and transfer anything over from the PS4.

You should use an ethernet cable to hook up the PS4 to PS5. It will ask what you want to copy over.

I don't think it will know about the external drive on the ps4 but it's been so long since I transferred data to my PS5 and when I did, I never used an external drive.

After the transfer from internal PS4 drive to PS5 is done you should be able to hook up the external drive to the PS5 and either copy some games over or leave it hooked up if you don't want to copy data over from there.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
If you want to transfer everything over from your PS4 I would install the 2tb nvme in the PS5, reinstall the operating system on it via USB from Sony's site, then once you do that you can go through the setup process and transfer anything over from the PS4.

You should use an ethernet cable to hook up the PS4 to PS5. It will ask what you want to copy over.

I don't think it will know about the external drive on the ps4 but it's been so long since I transferred data to my PS5 and when I did, I never used an external drive.

After the transfer from internal PS4 drive to PS5 is done you should be able to hook up the external drive to the PS5 and either copy some games over or leave it hooked up if you don't want to copy data over from there.
Thanks, sounds like a plan. If I transfer the OS to the new 2tb drive what happens to the internal storage? Will it just be another drive? If only sony offered a 1-2tb internal solution instead of the lame 667gb.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks, sounds like a plan. If I transfer the OS to the new 2tb drive what happens to the internal storage? Will it just be another drive? If only sony offered a 1-2tb internal solution instead of the lame 667gb.
The original drive isn't removable from what I understand. It will be there but empty, and you should be able to also store games/data there. Depending on how much data you have on your external drive you could potentially move everything to the original PS4 nvme if it's under 1tb and possibly not need the external.

If they make a redesign of the PS5 perhaps slimmer or something I would think offering more internal storage would be ideal. I don't know why they didn't do it for their digital console.

I'll never buy a digital version of a console but I could see how it would be appealing to some.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If they make a redesign of the PS5 perhaps slimmer or something I would think offering more internal storage would be ideal. I don't know why they didn't do it for their digital console.

Save money. The whole point of the digital model is the lower base price. They might update the console(s) to have double the storage but that's years off.

The SSD is soldered onto the board btw.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

It was design decision. There wasn't a sufficient speed NVMe available at the spec they wanted so they had to split the drive over multiple channels to get the bandwidth they needed. When they do a refresh they could probably go with a more traditional setup as speeds have come up to the required levels at a reasonable price point. I still don't get how they came up with that weird number though. They have 6 chips, should be 768GB, unless they have an extra chip somehwere?

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
In Mark Cerny's tech presentation early last year they indicated 12 channels on the flash controller. At an assumed 1 chip per channel, 512 Gib/chip, that's 768 GiB, which matches the reported 825GB. PS5 teardowns show 6 chips, 3 on each side of the motherboard around the controller. I assume each of those is actually 2 chips stacked on top of each other.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK, so here's what I did:

1. Got the PS5, set it up and connected via ethernet, logged into my PS account, updated to latest OS, shut it down.

2. Installed the 2TB NVME Samsung 980 Pro into the slot, rebooted and formatted it. All good.

3. Attached an external 4TB Samsung USB SSD drive to PS5, formatted and set for PS4 stuff.

4. Turned on my PS4 with internal 2TB spinny drive and migrated what I wanted to the PS5's built-in drive then moved to the 4TB External on the PS5.

5. Unplugged the 1TB external SSD drive from my PS4 and connected to my PS5. Rebooted the PS5 and it instantly saw the PS4 USB drive and disconnected the 4TB external PS5 drive automatically, I then moved all contents from the 1TB PS4 drive to the 2TB NVME drive on the PS5. That took 6 hours and when I woke up it was done.

6. Removed the PS4 external drive and rebooted the PS5 and now I have built-in SSD for misc, 2TB NVME for PS5 only games and apps, and 4TB external USB for all PS4 games and apps.

I just have to move some more stuff from the PS4 internal drive as when this all started I could not move it all due to storage constraints, but now I have more than enough.

Total of 6TB!!! I am happy!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Anyone else notice their controllers don't hold charge as much as they used to? A friend of mine played for about an hour or two and my controller was pretty much dead.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Anyone else notice their controllers don't hold charge as much as they used to? A friend of mine played for about an hour or two and my controller was pretty much dead.

Don't really know as i've only had it a week, but the battery does stink. I usually get around 3-4 hours before it says batteries are low. Good thing I bought an extra.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Don't really know as i've only had it a week, but the battery does stink. I usually get around 3-4 hours before it says batteries are low. Good thing I bought an extra.
I have 2 controllers but I just moved to this apartment a month ago and everything was in boxes. The first controller I expected to be out of charge but the second one I had charged fully and played about an hour with it a week ago.

I guess they are not holding charge as much as they used to. I remember when I first got the PS5, before they came out with a bunch of software updates, the controllers would take a while to drop charge.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I noticed the option to turn off controller after inactivity no longer works for me. I was watching the new Matrix movie last night and the controller just stayed on the whole time. I have it set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
My white case still looks perfectly unobtrusive, probably because it’s in a white media cabinet

I finally beat Demons Souls last week after about 40 hours. Eventually I’ll jump back in for NG+, but I started Dark Souls Remastered for now. So dated and janky feeling in comparison that I’m not sure I’ll be able to make it through .. sadly think I might have missed the boat on playing it when it was modern. 10 years is a long time I guess in video games. Maybe I’ll give DS3 a try instead.

I’m pretty happy with the white too. I’m not clamoring for black or anything like that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

It depends on whether you use the impulse triggers or turn it off and how much rumble is used along with the speaker. The more it’s used the less battery life you will get. It’s been fine for my game time and even though it tells me the battery is low, it lasts like another hour anyway. I marathoned Ghost of Tsushima for 6 hours at a time and the controller never went completely dead for me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It depends on whether you use the impulse triggers or turn it off and how much rumble is used along with the speaker. The more it’s used the less battery life you will get. It’s been fine for my game time and even though it tells me the battery is low, it lasts like another hour anyway. I marathoned Ghost of Tsushima for 6 hours at a time and the controller never went completely dead for me.
Yea that does affect battery life but I really haven't changed any of those settings. I'll have to double check. I just hope the batteries in the controllers didn't go bad.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yea that does affect battery life but I really haven't changed any of those settings. I'll have to double check. I just hope the batteries in the controllers didn't go bad.

I think it’s per game. I’m not aware of any system wide settings to turn it completely off. At least when it comes to the triggers. I do believe you can turn the speaker off or the vibration in the settings if I remember. I left it default, but seeing as the speaker is useless since I cannot hear it in my setup using a headset or my AVR.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Just finished the Iki Island expansion for Ghost of Tsushima. It's kind of short, 15-20 hours, but if you wanted more Ghost of Tsushima it pretty much plays the same except now you have to fight shamans that buff their allies. Gotta say the game looks even more impressive now that I have been playing it on a new 4k IPS panel monitor instead of a ten year-old 1080p VA panel TV. I don't think it's must play while the base game absolutely is, and if you don't want the DLC no reason to update to the PS5 native version since all you get is better lip sync with the JP voices and lots of haptic feedback that I could care less about.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Got a few games for Christmas and the Sabrent 2TB drive. Really enjoying Gardeners of the Galaxy. Makes me wish that The Avengers was redone with a real story at the same level. Also got Riders Republic but it’s nothing like mountain biking which was partially why I wanted it. Also got Deathloop and will start it next.

Also found a PS5 for my father so we all hooked him up with an LG C1 48”. Really good gaming experience and the OSD makes it simple for him to configure it for gaming.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Guardians of the Galaxy is great. I have it on PC and still didn't finish it but I'm close. What a really well put together game. I thought the combat was gonna be bland but the story and chemistry among the characters really makes the game shine.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Is the main gameplay in GotG third person shooter against bullet sponges? Because that's what it looked like when it was announced and that doesn't appeal to me.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Is the main gameplay in GotG third person shooter against bullet sponges? Because that's what it looked like when it was announced and that doesn't appeal to me.

If you just sit back and shoot, the battles don’t go well. Especially on higher difficulties. It’s a lot of teamwork where you initiate special moves from the others. Like having Groot anchor the enemies while Rocket does an AoE.

Combat it also maybe 50% of the experience with the rest being story and exploration. This is a heavy story led game compared to many of the other super hero games. More dialogue than probably two GotG movies. Really feels like an adventure where you learn a lot about the characters back story and how it relates to the games plot. Think the latest God of War, Last of Us or Uncharted than Spider Man or Batman series.

Andro Boy

Feb 4, 2017
When do you guys think they'll release the PS5 Pro? I know Sony has already trademarked the name, but with the current chip shortage and supply chain issues still going on, I wonder if they'll hold off on any console revisions for a while. The PS4 Pro came out in 2016, three years after the base system, so Fall 2023 is probably the likely release date, but it could be later in 2024. I'm thinking of waiting till then to finally get one, since I still don't see them anywhere in stores. My Series X should hold me over till then, though.