Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Game owns. It was my first and only souls experience. I loved everything about that game for the most part. It's challenging but it never really felt unfair.

You are right about the atmosphere. I don't think any other game can get the atmosphere down like it did. And each of the 5 realms feel so different. It was either 3-1 or 3-2 that was my favorite. Just when you first enter and the scope of the whole area is incredible looking. Same with the castle and how large it is.

Game is just awesome and I hope the open world aspect of Elden Ring is not a turnoff for me. Never once did I wish DS was an open world game. I loved how linear it was.
That's one thing I like about Demon Souls. I stopped at the upper latria level. I enjoyed having levels and checkpoints. But I've been watching FightingCowboy on YouTube stream a lot of Elden Ring network test gameplay recently.

The open world aspect is alright so far, there seem to be enough checkpoints throughout the world that you don't end up traversing half the level when you die.

My biggest gripe with it is having it all open world I won't know where I'm supposed to go first, second, so forth. Or if I'm leveled enough for certain areas.

Do you just run away from enemies if they are too tough or does it sort of guide you in a semi right direction as in you should probably travel here first, get this item, etc.

I get really bored with open world titles that have zero motivation or direction/purpose.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's one thing I like about Demon Souls. I stopped at the upper latria level. I enjoyed having levels and checkpoints. But I've been watching FightingCowboy on YouTube stream a lot of Elden Ring network test gameplay recently.

The open world aspect is alright so far, there seem to be enough checkpoints throughout the world that you don't end up traversing half the level when you die.

My biggest gripe with it is having it all open world I won't know where I'm supposed to go first, second, so forth. Or if I'm leveled enough for certain areas.

Do you just run away from enemies if they are too tough or does it sort of guide you in a semi right direction as in you should probably travel here first, get this item, etc.

I get really bored with open world titles that have zero motivation or direction/purpose.
Yeah I much prefer linear games than open world games, and I hate that the whole industry has tried to turn every game into an open world game.

It does sound like Elden Ring has "dungeons" or whatever that are supposed to be more like the levels in Demon's Souls. I haven't seen that myself but that is what a buddy was telling me. And that each dungeon is like 2-3 full realms in DS.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Isn't there an option to increase the volume up for the speaker? I remember it being pretty quiet too.

I recently moved and my PS5 is still in it's box because I don't have my TV yet. I'll never by extended warranty from best buy again. The repair shop they set me up with has had my TV for over a month and after they finally finished repairs they tell me they aren't sure when they can bring it back to me. I'd love to finish Kena.

As I said the volume is maxed and it’s nearly silent

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I hope the open world aspect of Elden Ring is not a turnoff for me. Never once did I wish DS was an open world game. I loved how linear it was.
If you're worried about open world, you still have 4 great games to try (Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne) that aren't.

Elden Ring hype has me playing Dark Souls 3 again while I wait, this time on New Game Plus (first time doing NG+ in a From game). I'm following a guide this time around so I don't miss anything, because I want to get all the achievements/trophies. Looks like I'll need to do NG++ to get it all, though. Should get interesting.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you're worried about open world, you still have 4 great games to try (Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne) that aren't.

Elden Ring hype has me playing Dark Souls 3 again while I wait, this time on New Game Plus (first time doing NG+ in a From game). I'm following a guide this time around so I don't miss anything, because I want to get all the achievements/trophies. Looks like I'll need to do NG++ to get it all, though. Should get interesting.
I also followed a YouTube guide myself for demon souls. Never having played the other titles, didn't know what I was getting into. The guide definitely helped me get set up properly.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I have seen videos of those older games and it would be tough to play them after being spoiled by the visuals of Demon's Souls.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Bloodborne is only 10 bucks at Best Buy right now. There are way worse ways to spend 10 dollars even if you don't get into it.
Yeah I don't think I could play it in 30fps either.

If they ever put out a 60fps patch for it then I'd probably give it a go.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yeah I don't think I could play it in 30fps either.

If they ever put out a 60fps patch for it then I'd probably give it a go.
That's one reason so many people want it released on PC. Even if it's released at 30, you just know modders will figure out how to unlock the framerate.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's one reason so many people want it released on PC. Even if it's released at 30, you just know modders will figure out how to unlock the framerate.
People already got it running on PS5 in 60fps. Digital Foundry has a video of it. But it's on a dev system or something, I haven't watched the whole thing.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
People already got it running on PS5 in 60fps. Digital Foundry has a video of it. But it's on a dev system or something, I haven't watched the whole thing.
Honestly I'm shocked it hasn't at least gotten a PS5 patch yet. It's one of their most popular and highly regarded games. It's my second favorite PS4 exclusive behind only God of War.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Honestly I'm shocked it hasn't at least gotten a PS5 patch yet. It's one of their most popular and highly regarded games. It's my second favorite PS4 exclusive behind only God of War.
Probably because they wanna sell a $70 remaster. That would be my guess.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Game owns. It was my first and only souls experience. I loved everything about that game for the most part. It's challenging but it never really felt unfair.

You are right about the atmosphere. I don't think any other game can get the atmosphere down like it did. And each of the 5 realms feel so different. It was either 3-1 or 3-2 that was my favorite. Just when you first enter and the scope of the whole area is incredible looking. Same with the castle and how large it is.

Game is just awesome and I hope the open world aspect of Elden Ring is not a turnoff for me. Never once did I wish DS was an open world game. I loved how linear it was.

Yep that’s what I’ve always read about these games .. challenging but fair, and that seems true so far. I’ve died plenty but haven’t gotten pissed off at all. The first real boss gave me some confidence that the game is probably doable with a little bit of patience. I’m doing 3-1 now and loving it, so creepy. Would definitely play more souls games after this, especially a 60fps patched Bloodborne …

Anyway, $20 RE:Village for anyone who doesn’t have it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reside...f20495211eca2b302d4353d21bf0INT&skuId=6450472

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yep that’s what I’ve always read about these games .. challenging but fair, and that seems true so far. I’ve died plenty but haven’t gotten pissed off at all. The first real boss gave me some confidence that the game is probably doable with a little bit of patience. I’m doing 3-1 now and loving it, so creepy. Would definitely play more souls games after this, especially a 60fps patched Bloodborne …

Anyway, $20 RE:Village for anyone who doesn’t have it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reside...f20495211eca2b302d4353d21bf0INT&skuId=6450472
If you like 3-1 wait until you get to the next section.

Those damn bells man. I can still hear them lol.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
This is a really awesome Black Friday week if you have a PS5. Using Gamestop's buy 2, get 1 free deal on new games yesterday I got Demons Souls, Lost Judgment, and Deathloop for $70 plus tax. Then picked up Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart for $50 on PSN as well as Ace Combat 7 with the DLC for like $8 on PSN. Sadly the Gamestop B2G1 is dead for new games, though I think it's still on for used. Miles Morales was actually $20 at one point yesterday at Walmart too, though I already have it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I might want to pick up deathloop and ratchet and clank. I'll check Walmart to see if they have the sale too. Too bad I don't have my TV back yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an awesome game too if anyone has been thinking about it. I'm enjoying it a lot on PC. It's on sale for $30 now.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I might want to pick up deathloop and ratchet and clank. I'll check Walmart to see if they have the sale too. Too bad I don't have my TV back yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an awesome game too if anyone has been thinking about it. I'm enjoying it a lot on PC. It's on sale for $30 now.

Walmart will have Deathloop for $25 starting Monday at 7PM EST but you can get it for that price from Gamestop now. Everyone so far is selling Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart for $50, though Walmart hasn't published its price for it yet so maybe it'll be lower starting Monday.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Walmart will have Deathloop for $25 starting Monday at 7PM EST but you can get it for that price from Gamestop now. Everyone so far is selling Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart for $50, though Walmart hasn't published its price for it yet so maybe it'll be lower starting Monday.
Yea I wanted to pick up deathloop for pc tonight. I didn't realize GameStop wants to ship it. I don't ever recall PC games being anything other than digital the past few years. So I'm not what exactly they would ship?

I could also get it from Amazon for $4 more but it's not digital. I'll wait on ratchet and clank and see what Walmart has on Monday.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yea I wanted to pick up deathloop for pc tonight. I didn't realize GameStop wants to ship it. I don't ever recall PC games being anything other than digital the past few years. So I'm not what exactly they would ship?

I could also get it from Amazon for $4 more but it's not digital. I'll wait on ratchet and clank and see what Walmart has on Monday.

Surprisingly the physical copy of Deathloop for PC comes with some kind of disc in addition to the Steam code. But from what I have read the PC port was bad at launch so you definitely wouldn't want to use the version on the disc if it is a full blu-ray of the game.