Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I haven't had that happen but I definitely heard that happening to people with Cyberpunk and also with Ratchet and Clank.

On another note I started Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order tonight and damn it's pretty cool. I'm not a huge SW fan or anything, it's just an average sci fi thing to me, but I grabbed it cause it is $13 right now and my buddy was hyping it up.

Where is it $13?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Mine crashed every session of Spider Man for the first few weeks until the game got like 3 post launch (relaunch?) stability patches.

It's been much rarer since... one hard crash in Control maybe but also it's been reliable that I actually use Rest Mode. For a while there I treated it like a Windows 98 machine - always off when not in use and a reboot between different apps.

LOL. Sounds more like Windows 95 than 98 though. Then again I didn't use 98 until SE, but 95 was a crashfest.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm at the end of RE8 so I'll probably pick up ratchet and clank next. I really liked RE8, wasn't as creepy as 7 but the gameplay was at a good pace. I heard there will be an expansion so I'm gonna look forward to that.

I should really try and finish ghost of Tsushima but I don't have a lot of time and I don't think I'm anywhere near the end of that.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
People crapped over the story and characters, not the actual gameplay.

But I am 100% with you - I don't get it either.

I didn't read about any of the controversy until after I finished the game, but some of it does involve spoilers, but you probably have already passed some of the spoilers or maybe all of it, I am not sure. When you hear about what the controversy entails you will realize that it's just a bunch of incel internet nerds who were primarily the main ones who were mad about stuff.

Really loved the way the contrast with Abby helped to show what a monster Ellie had become. Just finished the game and the criticisms of the new characters are ridiculous. Was Naughty Dog supposed to make the same game twice? They took a big risk here and I think it paid off hugely. Liked Part II even more than the first.

Reactions: Tlh97 and purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Really loved the way the contrast with Abby helped to show what a monster Ellie had become. Just finished the game and the criticisms of the new characters are ridiculous. Was Naughty Dog supposed to make the same game twice? They took a big risk here and I think it paid off hugely. Liked Part II even more than the first.
Yeah it really is fantastic story telling on a level that's never been done before.

The majority of the crying was people whining that the story didn't go the direction they wanted it to go.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009

I disagree with this characterization of Ellie. In post-apocalyptic scenarios, ethics and morality get pushed aside by the need to survive. But in these survival stories where only a single character's, or group of character's, side is told we begin to associate that character (Ellie and Joel) with being "good" and the other survivors that attack them as "bad". By also telling Abby's story they remove that good/bad dichotomy and we are left with morally ambiguous shades of grey. No one is good or bad. Everyone is just surviving the best they can.

Players were emotionally invested in Ellie. She was "the good guy". Just by flipping the perspective to Abby, the pedestal that players put Ellie on is shattered.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I disagree with this characterization of Ellie. In post-apocalyptic scenarios, ethics and morality get pushed aside by the need to survive. But in these survival stories where only a single character's, or group of character's, side is told we begin to associate that character (Ellie and Joel) with being "good" and the other survivors that attack them as "bad". By also telling Abby's story they remove that good/bad dichotomy and we are left with morally ambiguous shades of grey. No one is good or bad. Everyone is just surviving the best they can.

Players were emotionally invested in Ellie. She was "the good guy". Just by flipping the perspective to Abby, the pedestal that players put Ellie on is shattered.
This is exactly how I thought about it when I finished the game. In part 1 we had no idea who the doctor was or other characters he was involved with. We didn't think much of their side of the story. At the end of the day we get both sides of the narrative here. Both based on revenge and how in the end it didn't actually lead to an overall happy ending that I guess people were expecting.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Never finished last of us 2. I just could not bring myself to care about the story or any of it. Guess I’m over the naughty dog formula or something. Got bored. From what I did play I felt the first game has much better pacing and I got more immediately invested in the characters. Didn’t get the same feeling this time for whatever reason.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It's neither as great or as terrible as most people would want you to believe. My only major complaint is that there's a lot of plot convenience so that the story can unfold as it does and the game doesn't try to be at all subtle the message of that story. It's just a bit contrived, but frankly it could have been a lot worse.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Sony has detailed the M2 slot requirements for if you want more space. Interestingly it says that while a PCIe 4 drive is required the sequential read speed of over 5.5 GB/sec is only recommended. Does say it requires a heatsink on the drive.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Sony has detailed the M2 slot requirements for if you want more space. Interestingly it says that while a PCIe 4 drive is required the sequential read speed of over 5.5 GB/sec is only recommended. Does say it requires a heatsink on the drive.

Excellent share. That's some detailed requirements!

Also, noted that HMB (host memory buffer) is not supported and imo that's going to mean the drive needs onboard ram to be clear of the performance requirements for some time. This will likely be a bigger deal on the next gen of PCIe4 drives that advertise a lot speed but may need HMB to make it happen.

Drives like the Samsung 980, non-pro which is priced like a premium drive, has good specs but isn't maybe exactly what you think it would be from the pricing/brand.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Getting closer to finishing Ghost of Tsushima. Really do enjoy the story now that I stopped doing any side stuff and continued doing the main story missions.

I was getting burned out on the game because of the filler side content that didn't vary much. Now I'm already at Act 3 and I've gotten more into the story than I was previously.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Getting closer to finishing Ghost of Tsushima. Really do enjoy the story now that I stopped doing any side stuff and continued doing the main story missions.

I was getting burned out on the game because of the filler side content that didn't vary much. Now I'm already at Act 3 and I've gotten more into the story than I was previously.

There is a new island coming out for it in about 3 weeks, can't wait for it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
There is a new island coming out for it in about 3 weeks, can't wait for it.
I considered waiting but since it will be a ps5 upgrade edition the saves may not be compatible so I decided to finish my PS4 copy on my PS5 and I may or may not get the upgraded version when it's out. I would just hate to start over at this point after I spent so much time doing the side objectives.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
No surprise, I was pretty convinced it was going to be a Spring 2022 game once they couldn't give a 2021 release date at their state of play presentation.
March 2021 will be 5 years. That still seems like an okay amount of time for a high quality AAA title, even without taking into account the pandemic. Anyone else now thinking 2023 for the God of War sequel?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Been playing the FF7 Remake DLC. There's nothing in it that makes me say that they couldn't have done it on PS4 but I do appreciate the short loading times.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Can't believe I have waited until 2021 to play a Dragon Quest game, but Dragon Quest XI S is a pretty amazing JRPG. The art style is pretty killer and love the soundtrack by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. Already want to play VII, VIII, and I now, though I doubt I'm even 1/4 of the way through XI S.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Can't believe I have waited until 2021 to play a Dragon Quest game, but Dragon Quest XI S is a pretty amazing JRPG. The art style is pretty killer and love the soundtrack by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. Already want to play VII, VIII, and I now, though I doubt I'm even 1/4 of the way through XI S.

DQ XI was a great throwback to a bygone era of JRPGS from my childhood, but with a sleek coat of modern graphics. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Digital Foundry tested the M2 slot. The M2 drive they used works as good if not better than the internal SSD. The test also shows that the internal SSD's write speed is low. It's very much geared toward read which makes sense. Copying a game from Internal -> M2 was way faster than the other way around.