Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Tried to order ratchet and clank from best buy becuause I had a coupon but it's not letting me pick it up in-store. That option was available yesterday. Oh well, don't need it right now. I'll wait until I finish RE 8 and Miles Morales.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Ahem. BTW, the review that you mention was of the original PS4 version.
Editor's note: In June 2021, developer Square Enix released an upgraded version of Final Fantasy VII Remake for PlayStation 5, which included improved visuals and technical performance, as well as some new features, including a photo mode. Our impressions on how the improvements impact Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS5 are written by Phil Hornshaw. The original review of Final Fantasy VII Remake was first published in April 2020 and is written by Tamoor Hussain.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I am downloading the Remake's PS5 version right now. It doesn't automatically download the PS5 version as you have to basically 'buy' Intergrade using the Upgrade for PS4 owners option and then download it. But you still have to install the PS4 version to be able to convert the PS4 save to PS5... they added a menu in the PS4 version to be able to do that.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ahh... so it downloaded enough that I was able to play (part of?) the first chapter. The Graphics mode runs at like 20 fps. The performance mode runs at 60 but it's like the physics are tied to the frame rate so the game speed is amped up.

Edit: Seems forcing the PS5 to set the resolution to 1080p (I am playing on a 1080p TV) fixes the graphics mode frame rate issue.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game I've ever played. It's incredible looking. The sound is awesome too. What they've done with the haptic triggers is pretty cool too and I've only gotten 2 extra weapons. The control is super tight as well.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty which is tough so far but that way it will also make the game last longer. And I'm using performance mode with ray tracing.

I don't really understand why they are putting time and effort into these high fidelity modes in these games. Both this game and Demon's Souls (the only 2 I've seen these options on) are virtually unplayable in 30fps mode after seeing it in 60fps mode. It feels even slower than 30fps mode, which it might be, but it just seems like wasted effort for the most part. I guess there are a handful of people who would play games with crappy framerates for a slightly better looking game maybe. But I can't even tell a difference graphically between the two so the difference is super miniscule.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I had no issues playing spiderman at 30fps. I'll watch digital foundry's performance mode review at some point.

At least for me the 30fps mode was very apparent in demon souls. I could not play that game like that. But spiderman I didn't notice much of a difference in motion and mechanics.

Visually these modes probably don't add anything if you are playing at 1080p. I think the point of them is they want to hit the 30fps target at 4k as a selling point.

I'm making it a point to force myself to finish Miles Morales and then get ratchet and clank after, while I still work my way through RE 8. Seems like a game with a lot going on in it and from some playthrough videos I've watched, it looks fun.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yeah, Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game I've ever played. It's incredible looking. The sound is awesome too. What they've done with the haptic triggers is pretty cool too and I've only gotten 2 extra weapons. The control is super tight as well.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty which is tough so far but that way it will also make the game last longer. And I'm using performance mode with ray tracing.

I don't really understand why they are putting time and effort into these high fidelity modes in these games. Both this game and Demon's Souls (the only 2 I've seen these options on) are virtually unplayable in 30fps mode after seeing it in 60fps mode. It feels even slower than 30fps mode, which it might be, but it just seems like wasted effort for the most part. I guess there are a handful of people who would play games with crappy framerates for a slightly better looking game maybe. But I can't even tell a difference graphically between the two so the difference is super miniscule.

Is Performance RT as clean as it was on Spiderman? God that game looked beautiful at that setting. Probably pick this up in a week or two.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is Performance RT as clean as it was on Spiderman? God that game looked beautiful at that setting. Probably pick this up in a week or two.
I've never played Spiderman so I can't really answer that. But I can say this is definitely the best looking game I've ever played.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So Ratchet and Clank is buggy as shit. I've gotten stuck where I couldn't move and had to restart from checkpoint. There are parts where you can walk on air and clip right through some stuff.

And right now I'm experiencing a game breaking bug where I can't get past a part. There are supposed to be enemies that come out and you fight and after you fight them it unlocks this nut to turn. But the enemies never come out. I have restarted from last checkpoint, restarted the game, restarted my PS5, changed difficulty, nothing. I'm like 2 hours into the game too on the hardest difficulty and don't really want to restart the fucking game at this point. I tweeted Insomniac with a video of the bug so I'm waiting to hear what they say back, if anything.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Meh Wii was a real pain to get for like a year at least. Switch was hard to get the first few months if you didn't buy the first week unless you were willing to buy a bunch of extra crap in Gamestop bundles. And some of those bundles were buy a few of these garbage figurines we can't sell, oh and pay full price for them. If you're willing to buy the Gamestop bundles though PS5 is a lot easier to get, those things seem to last 15-30 minutes when they're put up for sale. You might have to buy a crap game like Marvel Avengers or NBA 2k21 and the other stuff they bundle in is like an extra controller, a PS Plus membership, and a Gamestop giftcard if I remember right. Though they had one pretty good bundle with Demons Souls and Miles Morales Ultimate that I might have jumped on had I not gotten a PS5 by itself for MSRP already.

I think they have to keep these online right now because otherwise they'll have fights, stabbings, shootings in store with people trying to get them if they sold them in person. Sucks but I wouldn't want that crap in my store if I was Walmart either.

Other consoles were not readily available all the time but you could go to the store, ask and maybe get lucky or maybe not. This is completely different and I don’t expect any more problems with fights etc than there would have been with say a ps3 or 360 or ps4. Looking at e3 I’m not really excited at all though. There is almost nothing that I find really compelling at the moment. Maybe I’m just old or I burned myself out on Game pass stuff the past couple months but I don’t see a whole heck of a lot for this year except one or two titles so maybe it’s not so bad for me.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Other consoles were not readily available all the time but you could go to the store, ask and maybe get lucky or maybe not. This is completely different and I don’t expect any more problems with fights etc than there would have been with say a ps3 or 360 or ps4. Looking at e3 I’m not really excited at all though. There is almost nothing that I find really compelling at the moment. Maybe I’m just old or I burned myself out on Game pass stuff the past couple months but I don’t see a whole heck of a lot for this year except one or two titles so maybe it’s not so bad for me.

It's not you, E3 is terrible this year. 2020 you still had lots of great games in the first half but COVID has delayed everything for 2021. Best case is Horizon Forbidden West and Dying Light 2 coming out around December. The XBox show was truly horrible. Thought I was going to see some cool Starfield gameplay and maybe a new Fallout and instead we got a lousy cutscene trailer for Starfield and a bunch of Fallout 76 garbage.

E3 really misses Playstation though, I loved that Sony did the anti XBox presentation. XBox presentation is always a bunch of cutscenes followed by half second of gameplay cut to another scene of gameplay half second later cut to another scene of gameplay one second later cut to long cutscene, makes me head hurt just watching. If you have ever seen Exit Through the Gift Shop, XBox presentations remind me of that horrible video Mr Brainwash made in the movie. While Sony would play God of War or The Last of Us Part II for 10 minutes straight.

Can't say I really enjoyed the experience of going and asking do you have a Wii in stock and getting a no every time I was in Walmart or Gamestop or Best Buy etc in that period. I would expect more fights now, people are still on edge from the pandemic.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Awkwardly, one of the nicer aspects of the new consoles is just how snappy they are. I was using my PlayStation 4 Pro to get some pictures to sell my PlayStation VR bundle, and whew... I forgot how slow the thing could be at times when it came to CPU-related tasks. I mean... even loading the PlayStation Store just felt awkwardly slow.

It kind of reminds me of how it was going back to update my Oculus Quest after using the Oculus Quest 2. I thought something was wrong because of how long the original one was taking to boot! :p

Although, on the flip side, the Final Fantasy VII Remake upgrade shows how awkward things can be. To get the upgrade via a PS4 disc or a purchased digital version, you have to go to the PlayStation Store and purchase a free version of Final Fantasy VII Remake that is specifically noted as an upgrade version. (It has a completely different name... something like "Final Fantasy VII Remake Upgrade for PS4".)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Awkwardly, one of the nicer aspects of the new consoles is just how snappy they are. I was using my PlayStation 4 Pro to get some pictures to sell my PlayStation VR bundle, and whew... I forgot how slow the thing could be at times when it came to CPU-related tasks. I mean... even loading the PlayStation Store just felt awkwardly slow.

It kind of reminds me of how it was going back to update my Oculus Quest after using the Oculus Quest 2. I thought something was wrong because of how long the original one was taking to boot! :p

Although, on the flip side, the Final Fantasy VII Remake upgrade shows how awkward things can be. To get the upgrade via a PS4 disc or a purchased digital version, you have to go to the PlayStation Store and purchase a free version of Final Fantasy VII Remake that is specifically noted as an upgrade version. (It has a completely different name... something like "Final Fantasy VII Remake Upgrade for PS4".)

This is true but I find there to be a lack of compelling content. I should have expected it but sheesh, e3 didn’t give me much hope either. At least not until maybe next year and even then…

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Cyberpunk is coming back to PSN on June 21. Not sure if that means there will be another patch released between now and then.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ratchet and Clank is just so good. It's hard for me to put the game down. I'm taking my time and on the hardest difficulty so I don't expect to completely speed through the game. I'm trying to collect most of the stuff as I go along. I've also learned how to do better in combat so I'm not dying as much as I was at first, but it also might be that I have better armor, more health, and better/upgraded weapons too lol.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Kind of hard to stomach paying $70 for 10 hours of gameplay with Rift Apart. I might work on my backlog for a while as I still have a really full slate of PS4/PS5 games there like Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dragon Quest XI S, The Last of Us Part II, Yakuza 5, and 13 Sentinels. Prob take me until Thanksgiving to get through those anyways.

Anyone know if there is any single player DLC planned for Rift Apart? That would give me another reason to wait.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Ratchet and Clank is just so good. It's hard for me to put the game down. I'm taking my time and on the hardest difficulty so I don't expect to completely speed through the game. I'm trying to collect most of the stuff as I go along. I've also learned how to do better in combat so I'm not dying as much as I was at first, but it also might be that I have better armor, more health, and better/upgraded weapons too lol.

I’m really loving it too. I liked the first three quite a bit too and this is my favorite yet. The environments and controller feedback is amazing, and enemy AI is pretty decent too. I’m playing on second hardest and it’s about right for me. Handful of deaths here and there but never frustrating. I did give up on the bronze trophy in the arena though. I should go back now that I have 50% more health and better weapons.

HDR looks fantastic on my CX 65” and the console experience to me is just so much better than PC especially now that 60 fps is the norm. I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my 3080 that doesn’t get any use.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I’m really loving it too. I liked the first three quite a bit too and this is my favorite yet. The environments and controller feedback is amazing, and enemy AI is pretty decent too. I’m playing on second hardest and it’s about right for me. Handful of deaths here and there but never frustrating. I did give up on the bronze trophy in the arena though. I should go back now that I have 50% more health and better weapons.

HDR looks fantastic on my CX 65” and the console experience to me is just so much better than PC especially now that 60 fps is the norm. I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my 3080 that doesn’t get any use.
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I too gave up on the bronze trials. I did the required 2 and then the 4th one but that is it. I haven't even come close to finishing the one where you have to defeat 25 enemies with the enforcer. I just get shot from everywhere. I can't imagine how hard the other ones are. I also have 60 health and my enforcer is nearly maxed out.

@SteveGrabowski I've played more than 10 hours at this point and I'm not finished with the game yet. Not sure where you heard that number. I am also exploring a bunch and trying to collect everything so maybe since i'm not rushing through the story it's taking me a lot longer than 10 hours to finish it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kind of sad that I'm probably going to finish Ratchet and Clank tonight. I have all of the collectibles (that I can get before beating it at least) and really have nothing else to do other than finish it now.

I'm guessing I've put like 18+ hours into it at this point.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Kind of sad that I'm probably going to finish Ratchet and Clank tonight. I have all of the collectibles (that I can get before beating it at least) and really have nothing else to do other than finish it now.

I'm guessing I've put like 18+ hours into it at this point.

I think I'm going to wait for Black Friday for it since you say it's kind of buggy and it seems short, given how good my current backlog is.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think I'm going to wait for Black Friday for it since you say it's kind of buggy and it seems short, given how good my current backlog is.
18+ hours is short to you?

But yeah if in no rush, no need to get it now. I haven't really experienced any bugs since early on other than like some clipping issues on parts of levels you probably aren't supposed to be walking around on.

I personally don't put a value on length of games. If it's a good quality game that is all that matters to me. It's all about the experience no matter the length.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
18+ hours is short to you?

But yeah if in no rush, no need to get it now. I haven't really experienced any bugs since early on other than like some clipping issues on parts of levels you probably aren't supposed to be walking around on.

I personally don't put a value on length of games. If it's a good quality game that is all that matters to me. It's all about the experience no matter the length.

Very short for me, I'll usually only pick up big open world games and RPG for full price since I know I'll be playing them a few weeks. 10-20 hour games I usually don't buy until they're half price. I'll probably make an exception for this one and pick it up when it's say $50 for Black Friday since the game looks amazing, there are so few current gen games, and the difficulty of getting PS5s ensures this will probably not drop the way PS4 games did in price.

Reactions: purbeast0

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
@SteveGrabowski loves his 100 hour JRPGs, so I think it's safe to say that 18 is short for some people, haha.

Though I have the gift of turning even shorter JRPG into 100 hour experiences. Couldn't believe howlongtobeat had NieR Automata at around 60 hours for completionists when I dumped more than 100 hours into it to get all the endings lol.