Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I can't tell you how many times I've picked up Breath of the Wild and put it back down. There's a part of me that just doesn't enjoy games that feel like they lack direction. I know how much people love Hollow Knight, but I just never liked how there was so little story to go off of. At this point, I mostly play Breath of the Wild just to see what crazy new graphical mods have been added to emulators.

I felt betrayed by BotW. Since this is a PS5 thread I'll keep it brief, but I thought (coming directly from Nier Automata/Platinum) that the combat was clunky. I thought the story was super thin, the flashbacks I loved but there are what 10 minutes of them in the whole game? The final boss battle being what it was and then, boom, over. Not even a post "victory" world to roll around with Zelda on a horse with. Last save. My son loves it for the systems - the cooking, the crafting, etc. He's maxed out all equipment and will just go back into farm and craft and beat the horse men baddies in as little time as possible.

Me... I am thinking I am missing out on some epic narrative in my limited game time. And yeah, it was the follow on game to Nier Automata. So...

Replicant is out... soon? I'll probably give it a bit to patch up before picking it up but I will go pay for it, even though I read the story in agonizing detail after beating NA and needing *more*.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not to beat on the BotW train but I even started following a youtube channel that did a walkthrough for the game and I got through to two bosses and I still could not get back into it.

The story did nothing for me, the huge open world was fine but it didn't drive me forward.

I honestly was looking for something more like ocarina of time or majora's mask like I enjoyed on the N64.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I thought the wheel in HZD was one of the better implementations for weapon/ammo management in recent years. Not that weapon wheels are anything new, but putting the ammo on it and allowing you to craft from that same interface worked well. I do remember being a little overwhelmed at first as I was getting into the game and being a little unsure about the controls, but after a few hours I was pretty comfortable with them and feel like it's a good setup. I had written the game off after hearing a couple unfavorable comparisons to BotW back at release but I'm glad I got around to it.

I think all Rockstar games kind of control like crap. The first RDR was decent but it took me a while to get comfortable with them. PS2 era GTA was fine, mostly on par with other games of the time. GTA 4 and 5 did not feel good at all. Haven't played RDR2 yet. What I've read/watched so far of it the controls seem tedious at times.

Do any of you PS5 owners have a source you like for comprehensive listing of PS4 games with PS5 patches or upgrades?

https://www.backwards-compatible.com/ will tell you how a PS4 game runs on PS5.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I felt betrayed by BotW. Since this is a PS5 thread I'll keep it brief, but I thought (coming directly from Nier Automata/Platinum) that the combat was clunky. I thought the story was super thin, the flashbacks I loved but there are what 10 minutes of them in the whole game? The final boss battle being what it was and then, boom, over. Not even a post "victory" world to roll around with Zelda on a horse with. Last save. My son loves it for the systems - the cooking, the crafting, etc. He's maxed out all equipment and will just go back into farm and craft and beat the horse men baddies in as little time as possible.

Me... I am thinking I am missing out on some epic narrative in my limited game time. And yeah, it was the follow on game to Nier Automata. So...

Replicant is out... soon? I'll probably give it a bit to patch up before picking it up but I will go pay for it, even though I read the story in agonizing detail after beating NA and needing *more*.

Yeah the combat sucks in BOTW, especially the breakable weapons. I did my playthrough of it on Cemu and hacked the savefile so my weapons wouldn't break.

Zelda's story is pretty meh in every game. What I did really love about BOTW was the physics and especially the climbing. It's the best thing I have ever played for just going and getting lost in a world. Most of my hours in that game were just aimlessly wandering around to open up more of the map and to find ways to climb up to high places. Every highpoint I'd see I'd try to find a route up and a way to get there. Guess it tickled that itch since hiking up mountains is my favorite thing to do outdoors in real life.

But storywise and combat, yeah, no comparison to NieR Automata.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Not to beat on the BotW train but I even started following a youtube channel that did a walkthrough for the game and I got through to two bosses and I still could not get back into it.

The story did nothing for me, the huge open world was fine but it didn't drive me forward.

I honestly was looking for something more like ocarina of time or majora's mask like I enjoyed on the N64.

If you want an oldschool Zelda I highly highly recommend A Link Between Worlds on 3DS, especially on a New 3DS XL where they fixed the 3D to be easier to keep in focus. It's easily my favorite Zelda game since Ocarina and is one of the few 3DS games where the 3D adds a lot to the graphics IMO (though Mario Kart 7 is still the best use I have experienced of the 3D on the 3DS). Though Link's Awakening on Switch was really good too.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If you want an oldschool Zelda I highly highly recommend A Link Between Worlds on 3DS, especially on a New 3DS XL where they fixed the 3D to be easier to keep in focus. It's easily my favorite Zelda game since Ocarina and is one of the few 3DS games where the 3D adds a lot to the graphics IMO (though Mario Kart 7 is still the best use I have experienced of the 3D on the 3DS). Though Link's Awakening on Switch was really good too.
A Link Between Worlds is a must play for anyone who enjoyed A Link to the Past.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Weapons breaking became a non issue pretty quickly in BotW. Its gets to the point you are discarding good weapons cause you have so many. I can definitely see why someone wouldnt like BotW though.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
A Link Between Worlds is a must play for anyone who enjoyed A Link to the Past.

Yeah it's one of the most underrated games out there. No one talked about it because 3DS was supposed to be a kids console, but it was brilliant. Too bad the pandemic has shot this system's price through the roof. I bought a used New 3DS XL for $100 from a pawn shop back in 2017 (like three days before Christmas too), but now they run about $250 on the used market.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Weapons breaking became a non issue pretty quickly in BotW. Its gets to the point you are discarding good weapons cause you have so many. I can definitely see why someone wouldnt like BotW though.

Right but it was still a dumb mechanic to me. No reason the master sword should “wear out”.

Honestly what destroyed the game for me was the fact that it was a huge world with barely anything in it, no dungeons, and lacking story direction. Sure there are random moblins and such but I expected more than just a couple towns. Also that there are no real dungeons. It is a Zelda tradition to have dungeons and the game just lacked that. Zelda games never had the story of some other titles, especially the first game on NES but the games since SNES have had some direction to them and a real reason you are on the adventure. I missed that.

Reactions: sze5003

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Amazon had a drop around 3:15 this morning. I'm sure the early time was intentional but even then it sounded like the sudden load caused some stability issues on the site.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I received my Darkplates the other day from dbrand, and I installed them tonight. As you'd expect... they're black plates for the PS5. The only downside (for some) is that there is no PlayStation logo like the original plates. My guess is that they would've been slapped with a trademark infringement suit if they attempted to use the PlayStation logo. Anyway, it's a pretty quick install overall. You just need to make sure you grab the plates in the right spot when going to pull them off.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Interesting, Returnal doesn't have any kind of save feature - it only saves when your 'run' ends. From reviewers it is explicitly acknowledged (the game suggests using Rest Mode). That seems a bit much esp when you could be talking multiple hours.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Interesting, Returnal doesn't have any kind of save feature - it only saves when your 'run' ends. From reviewers it is explicitly acknowledged (the game suggests using Rest Mode). That seems a bit much esp when you could be talking multiple hours.
So this is out? I thought tomorrow was the day?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh so it's one of THOSE games where you basically have to "beat it" in one run? And you kind of build up as you keep doing these runs?

But yeah, if a run to beat it takes hours, that is dumb there is no save feature.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I'm curious if the outcry is loud enough if they'd consider adding it. Most Rogue-Lites that have a long loop duration that I've played have had some sort of mechanism to allow for saving. Those that didn't include it usually ended up patching it in (such as the Tower Defense + Rogue-Lite, Ratropolis). Housemarque is usually pretty good at listening to feedback.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've watched some playthrough demos of returnal. I can't enjoy something I can't put down and pick up later without redoing everything.

Dark souls is fine because it has teleport points. I'm looking forward to the new resident evil game more having just finished RE7 and Last of us part 2 this past weekend.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I've watched some playthrough demos of returnal. I can't enjoy something I can't put down and pick up later without redoing everything.

Dark souls is fine because it has teleport points. I'm looking forward to the new resident evil game more having just finished RE7 and Last of us part 2 this past weekend.

Man I want to play RE7 so badly but I'm holding out for PSVR2. No way I want to play that game in anything other than VR but PSVR1 is so underpowered no way I'm spending on it today. Would have bought a Quest already if RE7 had VR support on PC.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Man I want to play RE7 so badly but I'm holding out for PSVR2. No way I want to play that game in anything other than VR but PSVR1 is so underpowered no way I'm spending on it today. Would have bought a Quest already if RE7 had VR support on PC.
I would not play it in VR. I barely got through it on normal screen. Walking in VR also makes me naseous so for that reason alone I barely play half life Alyx more than 20-30 minutes.

Which I don't get, becuause I fly in VR all the time and never get the same feeling. No autopilot sit there and pass the time, we are talking fighter jet maneuvers.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
RE7 on PSVR is definitely up there as one of the best video gaming experiences I've ever had.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Oh boy, Returnal just got a patch today which has a bug that destroys saves. They have since pulled the update. Gotta love buying games at launch.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Has anyone purchased resident evil 8? Wondering how long it is to decide if it's something I would want to spend $70 on for ps5.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Has anyone purchased resident evil 8? Wondering how long it is to decide if it's something I would want to spend $70 on for ps5.

IGN's reviewer said it took him 10 hours. It's $60 though for PS5. Still, I'm not paying that much for a 10 hour game.