Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
When you go back and play Ratchet and Clank, you realize how little is going on in the game compared to the new one coming out. It still looks good with the update, but it's like a night and day difference.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
So, I am playing Control from PS+ and wow, what a game.

I had held off because it was an RTX enhanced title and one of the few "must play with RT on" titles out there. Given the GPU situation and the price on PS5 I just decided to go with it, even though I never play "shooters" on consoles.

I wanted to say that I love their "cheats" too. Since I am horrible at twin stick moving, aiming, and hitting anything and you are so fragile at the beginning I was able to just turn down the enemy damage a couple times at the first boss fight and make the game still challenging yet fun for me. On PC I am pretty sure this would be a headshot massacre in my favor but I just don't have that kind of skill with a controller, so this really helped reduce my frustration with being so slow.

Later, I've used the immortality toggle a couple times when falling too far too many times killed me and I got tired of dying and just wanted to move on, or when my nerves were frazzled late at night and I just needed to navigate a tougher part of the game. I toggle it on and nearly always have it off.

I never use cheats - except in this game. It just seems like such a natural way to have a game that allows you to play so many different ways be "fun" for a really wide audience. The granularity and accessibility via the menus is top notch. Props to them for that.

Now, had they just supported kb and mouse! :D (I tried)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So, I am playing Control from PS+ and wow, what a game.

I had held off because it was an RTX enhanced title and one of the few "must play with RT on" titles out there. Given the GPU situation and the price on PS5 I just decided to go with it, even though I never play "shooters" on consoles.

I wanted to say that I love their "cheats" too. Since I am horrible at twin stick moving, aiming, and hitting anything and you are so fragile at the beginning I was able to just turn down the enemy damage a couple times at the first boss fight and make the game still challenging yet fun for me. On PC I am pretty sure this would be a headshot massacre in my favor but I just don't have that kind of skill with a controller, so this really helped reduce my frustration with being so slow.

Later, I've used the immortality toggle a couple times when falling too far too many times killed me and I got tired of dying and just wanted to move on, or when my nerves were frazzled late at night and I just needed to navigate a tougher part of the game. I toggle it on and nearly always have it off.

I never use cheats - except in this game. It just seems like such a natural way to have a game that allows you to play so many different ways be "fun" for a really wide audience. The granularity and accessibility via the menus is top notch. Props to them for that.

Now, had they just supported kb and mouse! :D (I tried)

So you didn't mind the 30 fps to toggle RT reflections on? I gotta say they look incredible in the game and it has me seriously considering buying it on PS5 to play with RT at 30 fps vs playing it on PC where I can get 60 fps without RT on my setup (but my gpu is GTX 1660 Super, so no RT possible).

Plus Control Ultimate for PS5 is $24 right now on PSN.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
So you didn't mind the 30 fps to toggle RT reflections on? I gotta say they look incredible in the game and it has me seriously considering buying it on PS5 to play with RT at 30 fps vs playing it on PC where I can get 60 fps without RT on my setup (but my gpu is GTX 1660 Super, so no RT possible).

Plus Control Ultimate for PS5 is $24 right now on PSN.

Control was free in February with PS+??? I think it is Ultimate?

I am playing on a 1080p projector and still have the pretty mode enabled. I wish that maybe there was a middle ground me as a lowly 1080p gamer but I don't care. Some of the reflections are down right unsettling at times and maybe they won't use it like they could but I like it a lot. Like HOLY COW THERE IS A PERSON RIGHT THERE!!!! Oh right, that's me... looks around to make sure no one saw that...

For twitch FPS I like my 100+ FPS and FreeSync. For this more story driven affair where I already sorta suck at shooting I want it to be as beautiful and detailed as possible. Some of the office environments in particular are super detailed.

The only thing I miss is that maybe on PC I could finagle the camera better to read more of the workplace safety and guidelines posters. I am sure, knowing what I know now about the evirons, they are fairly hilarious and vastly understated.

I played Spider Man in RT mode too. So if that gives you an idea where I am coming from. It feels like these games were built with that type of framerate in mind. Also, not swinging a mouse around makes big difference, imo.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
With the upcoming update you'll finally be able to download PS5 games to an external drive and then transfer them to the SSD when you want to play them, like XBox Series S/X has.

Reactions: Saylick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Gamestop is at it again with their bundles. They have Series bundles too and even GPUs (albeit scalper prices)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I attempted to look for a 3080 on gamestop. Got my ps5 there so figured I would be lucky. Unfortunately I only saw the $2500+ bundle for the 3090 cards.

They do the bundle specifically so they can take in money because they know people right now are desperate for GPU's.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I attempted to look for a 3080 on gamestop. Got my ps5 there so figured I would be lucky. Unfortunately I only saw the $2500+ bundle for the 3090 cards.

They do the bundle specifically so they can take in money because they know people right now are desperate for GPU's.

Were any bundles even in stock? When I looked it was just a bunch of bum listings...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Were any bundles even in stock? When I looked it was just a bunch of bum listings...
I saw only one add to cart button available for an evga 3090 with an evga 850w power supply. It was listed at $2599.99 lol.

Then there was a msi 3090 trio card with a mobo for $2999. These prices are something else.

There were also some ps5 digital bundles too. This was around 2:30 pm est for me.

Best buy usually does drops Thursday from past history so I'll keep an eye out. But I'm usually on work meeting when they go live so slim chances.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Best buy usually does drops Thursday from past history so I'll keep an eye out. But I'm usually on work meeting when they go live so slim chances.

You could end up being like me and assume they'll drop at 12:30 PM EST like usual, but end up about 2 minutes late to the party when they drop at 12:00 PM EST. :( Here is one recommendation that I think works out well... I took all items that I would be willing to buy (FEs and EVGA cards) and added them to my saved items. After doing that, I use Best Buy's Saved Items page and view everything from there.

The only thing is... I still have no idea if refreshing hurts your queue position or not. I have seen where the Best Buy product page can still suggest that you're waiting, but if you open another tab for the same product, it will show "Sold Out". Although, today... I swear it told me the 3080 XC was sold out, and I checked the individual product page again, and it had an "Add to Cart" button after it had told me to sold out. Who knows how long that had been there since it didn't work anymore.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You could end up being like me and assume they'll drop at 12:30 PM EST like usual, but end up about 2 minutes late to the party when they drop at 12:00 PM EST. :( Here is one recommendation that I think works out well... I took all items that I would be willing to buy (FEs and EVGA cards) and added them to my saved items. After doing that, I use Best Buy's Saved Items page and view everything from there.

The only thing is... I still have no idea if refreshing hurts your queue position or not. I have seen where the Best Buy product page can still suggest that you're waiting, but if you open another tab for the same product, it will show "Sold Out". Although, today... I swear it told me the 3080 XC was sold out, and I checked the individual product page again, and it had an "Add to Cart" button after it had told me to sold out. Who knows how long that had been there since it didn't work anymore.
I heard from the several discord chats that if you refresh while in the "please Wait" queue it will mess up your position in line.

I think the only chance you have is to be on the site before they go live. I waited so long for the add to cart button. When it became available the button did absolutely nothing when clicked.

People call it a glitched add to cart button but I just think by the time it goes active stock is gone. This has happened to be at every best buy drop.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I heard from the several discord chats that if you refresh while in the "please Wait" queue it will mess up your position in line.

I've heard that as well, but it has mostly been people just yelling "DON'T REFRESH!" and no one ever gives any reasoning as to how it would mess you up. One person earlier today mentioned that they use the Saved Items page, and they only refresh that specific page but never a single item's page. That person was able to get cards today using that method. The thing is... the Saved Items page seems to understand that you're in a queue as it grays out the "Add to Cart" button (it doesn't replace it with the waiting button) and gives you the information pop-up. If that's the case, I don't see why refreshing it isn't really any different from refreshing the single item page for every item in that list.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
For anyone who hasn't played Horizon Zero Dawn yet, the complete edition will be free to claim on PSN as of 8PM CST today. There are also nine other smaller games you can claim for free by April 22nd, though you have until May 14th to claim Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a pretty great game, kind of reminds me of a third person Far Cry but with more interesting combat and in general higher quality standards.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Thank you sir. One of my shortlist of Sony “exclusives” that I can mark down as mine. I might even play it next, I’ve been avoiding beating Control lately 😂

Does it have any PS5 centric updates or do we have to make do with the PS4 Pro optimizations?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I know I'm in the huge minority, but I could not get into HZD. I started it twice and after about 3 hours or so just was not sucked in and felt the controls/combat was super clunky. The voice acting and facial animations leave a lot to be desired too.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I know I'm in the huge minority, but I could not get into HZD. I started it twice and after about 3 hours or so just was not sucked in and felt the controls/combat was super clunky. The voice acting and facial animations leave a lot to be desired too.
Nope you're not the only one. I played it surprisingly to the end. I think I had one or two main missions left to do before the end? Never finished it to see the credits.

I could not get into the story either. The combat was cool but I agree the controls were a bit complicated with so many different types of ammo or weapons to switch around.

I think I played so long mainly because I didn't have anything else to do at the time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Nope you're not the only one. I played it surprisingly to the end. I think I had one or two main missions left to do before the end? Never finished it to see the credits.

I could not get into the story either. The combat was cool but I agree the controls were a bit complicated with so many different types of ammo or weapons to switch around.

I think I played so long mainly because I didn't have anything else to do at the time.
Yeah the combat was cool in theory but the implementation of it just felt way too clunky with too much to do. And the AI of the dinosaurs didn't help either.

I know the second time I started it was like a week before TLOU2 came out lol. So once I got that, yeah, HZD never saw my PS4 again. But I had gotten about as far as I did the first time trying it and just couldn't get into it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Thank you sir. One of my shortlist of Sony “exclusives” that I can mark down as mine. I might even play it next, I’ve been avoiding beating Control lately 😂

Does it have any PS5 centric updates or do we have to make do with the PS4 Pro optimizations?

I'd expect just a PS4 Pro version, though Sony came out with the sneaky ninja PS5 optimization for Ratchet & Clank when they gave it away for free, so maybe we get lucky again?

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I know I'm in the huge minority, but I could not get into HZD. I started it twice and after about 3 hours or so just was not sucked in and felt the controls/combat was super clunky.

Pretty much how I felt about RDR2 until I finally gave it a full playthrough last year.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
RDR2 looks boring as hell to me. I watched my friend play it for about 10 minutes and that was more than enough.

It's a real slow burn early on and yeah, I was so bored by it when I bought it launch night that I sold it a little later after playing maybe 5-6 hours of it and it never clicking. My first thought was the controls reminded me of GTA IV, which is not a nice comparison in my book. I'm a huge GTA fan but truly HATED everything about GTA IV, especially the way Niko controlled both on foot and in a car. Plus RDR2 is just so large and so open it felt kind of overwhelming. Last year though I got the urge to give it another try when I had the urge to play a big open world game, this time on PC, and it was still tough to get into the first few hours because the progression is so slow early on. But I ended up enjoying the hell out of the game, great characters and writing, pretty interesting story, a beautiful world to explore, etc. It's actually pretty similar to my reaction to Zelda Breath of the Wild, which I hated at first but ended up really liking after putting some time into it.

I will say in RDR2 you need to turn the sensitivity up to the max on controls or Arthur Morgan controls like a fat 55 year-old one step from needing a scooter. The default control setting is terrible.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's a real slow burn early on and yeah, I was so bored by it when I bought it launch night that I sold it a little later after playing maybe 5-6 hours of it and it never clicking. My first thought was the controls reminded me of GTA IV, which is not a nice comparison in my book. I'm a huge GTA fan but truly HATED everything about GTA IV, especially the way Niko controlled both on foot and in a car. Plus RDR2 is just so large and so open it felt kind of overwhelming. Last year though I got the urge to give it another try when I had the urge to play a big open world game, this time on PC, and it was still tough to get into the first few hours because the progression is so slow early on. But I ended up enjoying the hell out of the game, great characters and writing, pretty interesting story, a beautiful world to explore, etc. It's actually pretty similar to my reaction to Zelda Breath of the Wild, which I hated at first but ended up really liking after putting some time into it.

I will say in RDR2 you need to turn the sensitivity up to the max on controls or Arthur Morgan controls like a fat 55 year-old one step from needing a scooter. The default control setting is terrible.
Yeah I haven't really liked a GTA game since San Andreas. I'm not really a Rockstar fan generally speaking. I'll have no interest in whatever the next GTA game is.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I thought the wheel in HZD was one of the better implementations for weapon/ammo management in recent years. Not that weapon wheels are anything new, but putting the ammo on it and allowing you to craft from that same interface worked well. I do remember being a little overwhelmed at first as I was getting into the game and being a little unsure about the controls, but after a few hours I was pretty comfortable with them and feel like it's a good setup. I had written the game off after hearing a couple unfavorable comparisons to BotW back at release but I'm glad I got around to it.

I think all Rockstar games kind of control like crap. The first RDR was decent but it took me a while to get comfortable with them. PS2 era GTA was fine, mostly on par with other games of the time. GTA 4 and 5 did not feel good at all. Haven't played RDR2 yet. What I've read/watched so far of it the controls seem tedious at times.

Do any of you PS5 owners have a source you like for comprehensive listing of PS4 games with PS5 patches or upgrades?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's actually pretty similar to my reaction to Zelda Breath of the Wild, which I hated at first but ended up really liking after putting some time into it.

I can't tell you how many times I've picked up Breath of the Wild and put it back down. There's a part of me that just doesn't enjoy games that feel like they lack direction. I know how much people love Hollow Knight, but I just never liked how there was so little story to go off of. At this point, I mostly play Breath of the Wild just to see what crazy new graphical mods have been added to emulators.