Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If it was that easy then Cyberpunk wouldn't have been delayed multiple times due to performance issues on current gen. You are completely over simplifying it with one example.

The difference between me and you is all you seem to care about is higher resolution, textures, and FPS.

I don't just want to play PS4 games with higher resolutions, HDR, textures, and FPS.

I want to play games that are built from the ground up to take advantage of the more powerful hardware that would include more things going on on screen. A game that is designed to have more enemies or things just "going on" that couldn't happen on the previous generations, due to the hardware.

They won't be doing things like this with these games that are on ps4/x1 and on the new consoles. It's going to be exactly what you are talking about - just updated textures, reslution, fps, etc.

That is why I'm excited for Ratchet and Clank. It's built from the ground up for the PS5. It can take advantage of the controller too. It can take advantage of all of the hardware and not worry about not being able to do stuff that it can't do on PS4.

What exactly these "new" things are that they can do I don't even know exactly. But that is what I want to see. It's like on PSVR. There are simply things they can do on there that are not possible outside of it because of the hardware. A game like Moss or Astrobot may not be 4K with HDR, but it's way more impressive than anything I've seen that is 4k with HDR. Because it takes advantage of the hardware and lets you have an experience in a way you previously couldn't.

That is the kind of stuff I want on PS5/XSX. New types of experiences.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If you cared about the highest quality, you'd be a PC gamer, so I'm going to have to call BS.

I’ll be honest. I have a PC I spent a lot of money building a couple years back and the series x makes it look very old now lol.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If it was that easy then Cyberpunk wouldn't have been delayed multiple times due to performance issues on current gen. You are completely over simplifying it with one example.

The difference between me and you is all you seem to care about is higher resolution, textures, and FPS.

I don't just want to play PS4 games with higher resolutions, HDR, textures, and FPS.

I want to play games that are built from the ground up to take advantage of the more powerful hardware that would include more things going on on screen. A game that is designed to have more enemies or things just "going on" that couldn't happen on the previous generations, due to the hardware.

They won't be doing things like this with these games that are on ps4/x1 and on the new consoles. It's going to be exactly what you are talking about - just updated textures, reslution, fps, etc.

That is why I'm excited for Ratchet and Clank. It's built from the ground up for the PS5. It can take advantage of the controller too. It can take advantage of all of the hardware and not worry about not being able to do stuff that it can't do on PS4.

What exactly these "new" things are that they can do I don't even know exactly. But that is what I want to see. It's like on PSVR. There are simply things they can do on there that are not possible outside of it because of the hardware. A game like Moss or Astrobot may not be 4K with HDR, but it's way more impressive than anything I've seen that is 4k with HDR. Because it takes advantage of the hardware and lets you have an experience in a way you previously couldn't.

That is the kind of stuff I want on PS5/XSX. New types of experiences.

They already are doing that you just don’t want to search out the info I guess.

Taking advantage of the hardware includes graphics and resolution. So it is what it is.

Cyberpunk was delayed because, if you watched any of the recent game play videos, it looked like it played like crap and was boring as hell. A dead city, janky combat, dialog that has no consequences to it. Just...not a good look. One of the reasons i am skipping it for now. Also Cuberpunk was built on a PC with PC specs, you can’t bring that directly over to the ps4 or Xbox one. On Xbox it’s slightly easier because of directX but because of the memory limitations and ultra weak CPU it’s difficult to get performance out of a game that relies a lot on physics.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
They already are doing that you just don’t want to search out the info I guess.

Taking advantage of the hardware includes graphics and resolution. So it is what it is.

Cyberpunk was delayed because, if you watched any of the recent game play videos, it looked like it played like crap and was boring as hell. A dead city, janky combat, dialog that has no consequences to it. Just...not a good look. One of the reasons i am skipping it for now.
The recent delay was due to poor performance on X1/PS4, at least that is the word through the grapevine.

Hell in their statement they even said a lot of it had to do with testing on, what, 9 different platforms? Half of those being current gen?

So even just from a development standpoint worrying about current gen consoles, it takes up tons of time and development costs, hindering development. Sure it is doable, but it takes much more money/time to figure it all out. I've experienced this myself developing for multiple platforms. Hell sometimes even just dealing with Chrome and Firebox in web development can be a pain in the ass but that has gotten a lot better in recent years.

With a PS5 game targeting only the PS5 platform, you don't have any of that overhead and they can focus on 1 platform. And the polish on those types of games will be very apparent.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As a note, I believe the word is that Target's Xbox consoles appeared on their site this morning at 1:25 EST for local pick-up. Now, the reason I bring this up is that it might provide a bit of insight into when we might expect them to make the PS5 available on Thursday. Newegg stated that their consoles will be available at 12:01 EST on Thursday. Although, I have heard that they're also bundling consoles, which might be a downside to some.

As for the discussion on the consoles, honestly... loading time is a big deal to me. To be fair, is it a $500 big deal? Yeah, probably not, but as someone that has gone from computers running hard drives to SSDs, and then dealt with slow console loading, having a peppy console is a huge boon. It reminds me of when I went to play Warframe with someone on Xbox, and the Fortuna loading elevator made it quite obvious how staunch the difference was between Xbox One X and my gaming PC. I would guesstimate that it took about 4-5 times longer to load on Xbox than it did on the PC. As much as it'll make me sound impatient, it got to the point where I threw together some decent parts to build a PC for them to use, so we could play on PC instead. They were quite surprised at how much faster it was.

As for the PS5, I still haven't started Ghost of Tsushima, and after I heard that it will be receiving a patch for better performance on PS5, I decided to just wait. I did also pick up Godfall in Target's B2G1 deal, but I am a little hesitant about it. It sounds like they took Diablo's formula, made it over-the-shoulder instead of isometric, and removed a lot of customization.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, a lot of titles are getting upgrades that the pc doesn’t get and the console loads faster than a PC can due to velocity architecture. It will of course depend on the title

how long will that loading win last--like 6 months?

I mean, I'm already used to loading times in the 3-4 seconds max, for years, where I can't even read the hints. I look at games like BL3 on last gen consoles (granted, seems a huge outlier), and that game takes about a minute to load, lol. wtf is that?

Point being--I get that the jump from generation to generation of consoles with loading times is going to be spectacular and mind-blowing for such people, but what is it compared to PCs of the last 10 years, really, and now with PCIe4 (and PCI5 pretty soon), like a 5-10% bump?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why do you care so much about titles only being on the new generation?

Bitter memories of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

The battle was long and hard, the field bloodied with the swollen corpses of defeated, anguished soldiers that died, and failed, to preserve the progress of fidelity, to end the tyranny of older generations borking games out of what they could be. What they should be. The screams can be heard to this day, the despair is forever with us!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Because the lowest common denominator is the current gen.

Remember Halo Infinite they showed off? It's clear why it looked like it did. Because it's built for the Xbox One.

I want games I can't play on current consoles.

Like there is no way God of War or The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima could run on PS3/Xbox 360. Just no chance.

Also apparently while I don't care about the game, Cuberpunk has been delayed not once but twice and the rumored reason is because it runs like crap on Xbox One/PS4.

I think the reason for Cyberpunk delay is to tweak the nextgen, mostly nVidia-based features on PC? The recommended released hardware for Cyberpunk is surprisingly low, like early PS4 low.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
XBOXSXSX seems like the better overall system, hardware and bells and whistles, but for me, there is literally no reason to pick one up because all of their games are also on PC, right? ....and with even more bells and whistles.

^oh maybe I spoke too soon, heh. ...but don't they eventually release all those games onto PC through the store?

Yes, if you have a beefy PC then no reason to get one really. But if you don't have a good PC... you cannot even come close to the power in a $499 PC build. This is why I bought mine. My PC is perfectly fine for everything I do (i7-6700 / GTX1060), but it is starting to show its age in games.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I think the reason for Cyberpunk delay is to tweak the nextgen, mostly nVidia-based features on PC? The recommended released hardware for Cyberpunk is surprisingly low, like early PS4 low.

I suspect it failed certification on the One due to low frame rate on the base model.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
how long will that loading win last--like 6 months?

I mean, I'm already used to loading times in the 3-4 seconds max, for years, where I can't even read the hints. I look at games like BL3 on last gen consoles (granted, seems a huge outlier), and that game takes about a minute to load, lol. wtf is that?

Point being--I get that the jump from generation to generation of consoles with loading times is going to be spectacular and mind-blowing for such people, but what is it compared to PCs of the last 10 years, really, and now with PCIe4 (and PCI5 pretty soon), like a 5-10% bump?

I’m talking about going from console off to in the game moving around in 15 seconds. You can’t do that on a pc.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL @ considering Switch emulation pc gaming.

I know, its so odd people enjoy consoles on a console forum. Very strange indeed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My PS5 from Gamestop will be here tomorrow. I'm surprised because I didn't pay the extra $30 for launch day delivery but it looks like it will be here launch day anyways. I expected it next week so that's nice.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Im curious if ps5 will get a software update to support 1440p at some point. Just odd that the Xbox has it along with other features and Sony just left it out for now.

No clue when I'll get both consoles but right now there doesn't seem to be any reason to. I'm always one where I need exclusive first party titles intrigue me.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I’m talking about going from console off to in the game moving around in 15 seconds. You can’t do that on a pc.

That's cool. Especially because that suggests to me that there aren't all these splash menus to navigate through for all this pointless content that no one wants, that isn't simply "play game"? I'd be happy to see that.

Are they also off-off, or more like hibernation? I know it's probably too much to ask these days, because I don't think "off" really exists anymore, because these devices need to be collecting data on you and your lifestyle 24/7, but man I'd sure like to see an actual "off" button (that is easy to access, anyway)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's cool. Especially because that suggests to me that there aren't all these splash menus to navigate through for all this pointless content that no one wants, that isn't simply "play game"? I'd be happy to see that.

Are they also off-off, or more like hibernation? I know it's probably too much to ask these days, because I don't think "off" really exists anymore, because these devices need to be collecting data on you and your lifestyle 24/7, but man I'd sure like to see an actual "off" button (that is easy to access, anyway)
You can turn all consoles off. I always turn my X1X, PS4 Pro, and Switch off when I am done. I don't leave any of them in standby mode. My son will put Switch in sleep mode but I usually turn it off.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I think he's talking about quick resume. Basically the game has to support quick resume because if not, it pretty much takes a snapshot dump of your game and stores it in memory. You can use this to swap between games but if the game doesn't properly support it you could lose some save progress.

So you see some splash screen, sometimes you see the game company logo and a few other animations and then it drops you back into your game where you left off if the game properly supports quick resume.

It's a neat feature and doesn't require always exiting the game completely as I usually do.

Here's a pretty nice review of the system and features. He also goes through quick resume in many games.

Reactions: zinfamous

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

It’s what they call instant on. It’s not low power mode full off. It’s pretty damn fast anyway even full off.

Reactions: zinfamous

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Im curious if ps5 will get a software update to support 1440p at some point. Just odd that the Xbox has it along with other features and Sony just left it out for now.

No clue when I'll get both consoles but right now there doesn't seem to be any reason to. I'm always one where I need exclusive first party titles intrigue me.

Honestly, I don't think it's really that odd coming from Sony... or even Nintendo for that matter. It just sort of seems like Sony's raison d'être to produce products that are quite good in a lot of ways, but just fall short in others. It's sort of like my Sony TV. It has really good performance for an LCD TV, but the insistence upon using Android TV was a huge misstep considering the use of a weak SoC. I also saw something similar when I was considering purchasing a Sony DSLR. There was a ton of praise lavished upon the hardware capabilities, which probably isn't surprising given how Sony's ISP was used in the iPhone for years. (I don't recall if it still is.) If I recall, the complaint was made about the software used on the camera.

I wonder though if part of the problem that Sony may face is what Microsoft ran into at the release of the Xbox One. When Microsoft tried to push the digital lock system, people were not too crazy about the idea. Personally, I didn't hate it, but I was also trying to consider the benefits, and frankly, I think that was one area where Microsoft really misstepped. They just didn't do a great job conveying what benefits they were getting for the removal of others. (I liked the idea that I could easily share games with family/friends that are hundreds of miles away.) Anyway, I think that people tend to balk at being told what they want by some faceless corporation.