Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have heard that it does run pretty cool and not as noisy. I'm sure there will be a redesign of it later.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have heard that it does run pretty cool and not as noisy. I'm sure there will be a redesign of it later.
Yeah the hands on people said it was cool to the touch and quiet.

I don't care about any of that crap though cause it's in a closet anyways but with the door open. My amp is louder than anything else that will ever go in that closet anyways.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Yeah the hands on people said it was cool to the touch and quiet.

The cool to the touch description is kind of pointless as the side panels have a large air gap insulating them from the heat of the system.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I don’t get it, how is the Xbox getting away with being SO much smaller? The physical size may be a deal breaker entirely for me.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don’t get it, how is the Xbox getting away with being SO much smaller? The physical size may be a deal breaker entirely for me.

I don't know exactly why, although that doesn't necessarily mean Sony lacked reasons for the larger console. It might run cooler, or that custom SSD controller may have played into it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There are teardowns of both so you can see the exact differences as to why.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Microsoft simply has a better cooling solution IMO. They took a bit of inspiration from the PC world with the way it channels air.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
They split the motherboard in 2 and stacked them on top of each other.

Reactions: RPD

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sony confirms the 10 PS4 games that will not be backwards compatible with the PS5, as well as how to get PS4 save files onto PS5.

List of games

• DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
6 launch titles and I believe Astrobot is free. And other than Demon Souls, the rest are just PS4 ports. And hell Demon Souls is pretty much a port but more of a remaster. Holy shit this is such a pathetic launch lineup.

y2PVkic.jpg

EDIT:

Unless I am misunderstanding a bit. I thought all non-bold were "launch window" games as denoted by that footnote but I think they are just exclusives. But all of those games definitely aren't out at launch but it does appear more than the 6 bolded are releasing at launch.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
6 launch titles and I believe Astrobot is free. And other than Demon Souls, the rest are just PS4 ports. And hell Demon Souls is pretty much a port but more of a remaster. Holy shit this is such a pathetic launch lineup.

y2PVkic.jpg

EDIT:

Unless I am misunderstanding a bit. I thought all non-bold were "launch window" games as denoted by that footnote but I think they are just exclusives. But all of those games definitely aren't out at launch but it does appear more than the 6 bolded are releasing at launch.

Mortal Kombat 11 is now a launch game? Come on, that game has been out for 1.5 years...

It seems to me the Upgrade column has no relation to the dates. The PS5 upgrade for Yakuza Like A Dragon is confirmed for March 2021, but it is releasing for PS4 next month. Far Cry 6 is releasing Feb 2021. Witcher 3 upgrade has no release date AFAIK.

This console launch is mostly just a QOL improvement, which is not a bad thing IMO since it will be pretty massive.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Mortal Kombat 11 is now a launch game? Come on, that game has been out for 1.5 years...

It seems to me the Upgrade column has no relation to the dates. The PS5 upgrade for Yakuza Like A Dragon is confirmed for March 2021, but it is releasing for PS4 next month. Far Cry 6 is releasing Feb 2021. Witcher 3 upgrade has no release date AFAIK.

This console launch is mostly just a QOL improvement, which is not a bad thing IMO since it will be pretty massive.

And cyberpunk is a ps4 game, no Ps5 upgrades until an unknown date. Also maneater? Really? That list has a lot of ps4 titles getting upgrades. I don’t think they should count those

There is really about 10 launch titles that are truly ps5 games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That is being way too generous lol.

I’m counting games that are getting a stand alone ps5 release. Just not games that require you to buy the ps4 game and it gets an update.

Assassins creed, CoD, Madden, NBA, Dirt5, Astro’s playroom, sack boy,Demon’s Souls, Godfall, Spider-Man Miles Morales.

I understand though if you don’t want to count many of them because you are essentially getting a PS4 game with some upgrades and they packaged it into a new box. That’s fine.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I’m counting games that are getting a stand alone ps5 release. Just not games that require you to buy the ps4 game and it gets an update.

Assassins creed, CoD, Madden, NBA, Dirt5, Astro’s playroom, sack boy,Demon’s Souls, Godfall, Spider-Man Miles Morales.

I understand though if you don’t want to count many of them because you are essentially getting a PS4 game with some upgrades and they packaged it into a new box. That’s fine.
I thought everything on that left column was a true PS5 game - so you're saying the "upgrades" are on there too?

Not saying you are wrong or anything but that isn't how I took it.

I thought the middle column meant that you would get the free upgrade to the PS5 version if you had a digital version of the PS4 version.

The fact we are even having this discussion shows how fucking stupid and convoluted this upcoming generation is.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I take it Rachet & Clank was delayed given that it's not on the list?
Basically "launch window" is some bs arbitrary term that can mean whatever they want it to mean. The devs said it was a launch window title so who knows wtf that means.

Ratchet and clank not being on that list and knowing it's not coming this year is disappointing. In reality for some reason I always expected it around March or so. It always seems like huge games come out around March or used to for Sony, so I'm guessing that will be their big spring release.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I thought everything on that left column was a true PS5 game - so you're saying the "upgrades" are on there too?

Not saying you are wrong or anything but that isn't how I took it.

I thought the middle column meant that you would get the free upgrade to the PS5 version if you had a digital version of the PS4 version.

The fact we are even having this discussion shows how fucking stupid and convoluted this upcoming generation is.

Maneater is already out. It’s on ps4 and the developer says they will add ray tracing for new consoles at launch.

Reactions: purbeast0

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Basically "launch window" is some bs arbitrary term that can mean whatever they want it to mean. The devs said it was a launch window title so who knows wtf that means.

Ratchet and clank not being on that list and knowing it's not coming this year is disappointing. In reality for some reason I always expected it around March or so. It always seems like huge games come out around March or used to for Sony, so I'm guessing that will be their big spring release.

Ah, that's a bummer. I was thinking their idea of launch window was meant to include games released until around the end of the year, but given the release of the console, that's not even two months. So, I guess it makes sense.

I do wonder if the lack of new releases will have any effect on either new console, or if the newness is enough to pull in people? Or will the lack of follow-on releases hurt them more?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Not having much at launch has been the norm for Sony releases.

Looking back at the PS4's launch, you only really had two launch games that weren't released on the PS3 - Knack and Killzone.
PS3's equivalent was three - Ridge Racer 7, Resistance: Fall of Man... and the Giant Enemy Crab game.