Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The payment plan was available through some retailers too. It’s not a bad deal for people really because you get a game pass subscription.
Yea that was interesting. I wonder if there are any loopholes for it. Like say all stores are out and you want to preorder so you select the payment plan option. It was selectable for me this morning.

Can you just pay it off after the first month? That's what I would do if I really wanted to get a console. I'm actually gonna keep my gamepass subscription that I converted over from live last year. Comes in handy on PC and also if I decide to trade my XOne in for the series X later during the year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yea that was interesting. I wonder if there are any loopholes for it. Like say all stores are out and you want to preorder so you select the payment plan option. It was selectable for me this morning.

Can you just pay it off after the first month? That's what I would do if I really wanted to get a console. I'm actually gonna keep my gamepass subscription that I converted over from live last year. Comes in handy on PC and also if I decide to trade my XOne in for the series X later during the year.
It's like a 2 year Verizon commitment. You pay $X per month for 2 years.

In the end you end up paying $240 for the Series S and $480 for the Series X. So you save a little bit of money in the long run on the console price but you are paying for Game Pass for 2 years as well.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll try online tomorrow at GameStop. I don't like buying from them but hopefully no issues with the console. I'd prefer to get it from best buy becuause if I do have any issues later I have 45 days to return it. GameStop's policies suck.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It seems to me that the only benefit for preordering right now is scalping it to desperate parents over X-Mas? :D ...I mean, scummy but I wouldn't say I'm above that....

Anyway, I'd rather just wait until next year and we know a bit more what the near and extended future brings for hardware potential.

I'm still in on a disc version, though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you don't want to scalp it you may just want to secure one for yourself since who knows how the pandemic will behave during winter. Possibly supply could drop and you may not be able to get one early 2021. At the same time, it's only an issue if it's the only source of gaming available.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I’m glad I kept my PS4, these preorders are ridiculous. So many people camping out on nowinstock.com and rushing to get one the second they appear .. I can’t be bothered. I failed to get a 3080 too and now I’m not going to bother with a new GPU either .. just play Cyberpunk on the PS5 whenever I get it (blasphemy)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'll try online tomorrow at GameStop. I don't like buying from them but hopefully no issues with the console. I'd prefer to get it from best buy becuause if I do have any issues later I have 45 days to return it. GameStop's policies suck.

It might be worth considering that if Gamestop happens to be getting stock, other retailers might also be getting stock. Although, has there been any word on when this stock will be available?

Also, as an aside, I dislike how Best Buy changes your return window based upon some silly membership status. Essentially, if you spend more money in Best Buy throughout the year, they upgrade your membership status for the next year. To get a 45-day return window, you need to be one of their Elite Plus members, which requires spending something like $4500 over the course of a year. I got the Elite Plus after buying a TV from them, but this year, I'm an Elite member, which only gives you a 30-day return window.

It seems to me that the only benefit for preordering right now is scalping it to desperate parents over X-Mas? :D ...I mean, scummy but I wouldn't say I'm above that....

Eh, I just don't think it's right to do. Ultimately, my qualm boils down to the fact that a scalper is removing available stock that could have been purchased by someone looking to actually own the item. (Whether they wanted it for themselves or for a gift is irrelevant there.) In other words, you aren't really doing anyone a favor in that case, you're helping to cause a problem for which you're then trying to sell an overpriced solution.

On the flip side, if you wanted to offer a service to wait in line to purchase someone a console, I think that's absolutely fine. Using the same wording as before, you are doing someone a favor. Although, that does provide an interesting conundrum... using what I said, would it then be wrong to wait in line for a console and flip it? It could be argued that you're simply finding a buyer post-purchase rather than pre-purchase. However, what about actual users that simply got to line a bit later that would have actually used it?

Another interesting side question would be reselling goods that are simply worth more now. For example, I sold my Oppo UHD player after Oppo ceased production, which caused the price to skyrocket to over 200% the original cost. I had purchased the unit well before they shutdown production, and I used it as one normally would. However, it was hard to ignore how I could easily sell the unit, and purchase a Panasonic UHD player that also supported automatic Dolby Vision switching (it's a surprisingly rare feature -- Sony's offerings require manual switching). Is it wrong of me to take advantage of the scarcity of the devices? I even purchased the Panasonic player from Best Buy as open-box, which had a a nice discount (~20% off)!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It might be worth considering that if Gamestop happens to be getting stock, other retailers might also be getting stock. Although, has there been any word on when this stock will be available?

Also, as an aside, I dislike how Best Buy changes your return window based upon some silly membership status. Essentially, if you spend more money in Best Buy throughout the year, they upgrade your membership status for the next year. To get a 45-day return window, you need to be one of their Elite Plus members, which requires spending something like $4500 over the course of a year. I got the Elite Plus after buying a TV from them, but this year, I'm an Elite member, which only gives you a 30-day return window.

Eh, I just don't think it's right to do. Ultimately, my qualm boils down to the fact that a scalper is removing available stock that could have been purchased by someone looking to actually own the item. (Whether they wanted it for themselves or for a gift is irrelevant there.) In other words, you aren't really doing anyone a favor in that case, you're helping to cause a problem for which you're then trying to sell an overpriced solution.

On the flip side, if you wanted to offer a service to wait in line to purchase someone a console, I think that's absolutely fine. Using the same wording as before, you are doing someone a favor. Although, that does provide an interesting conundrum... using what I said, would it then be wrong to wait in line for a console and flip it? It could be argued that you're simply finding a buyer post-purchase rather than pre-purchase. However, what about actual users that simply got to line a bit later that would have actually used it?

Another interesting side question would be reselling goods that are simply worth more now. For example, I sold my Oppo UHD player after Oppo ceased production, which caused the price to skyrocket to over 200% the original cost. I had purchased the unit well before they shutdown production, and I used it as one normally would. However, it was hard to ignore how I could easily sell the unit, and purchase a Panasonic UHD player that also supported automatic Dolby Vision switching (it's a surprisingly rare feature -- Sony's offerings require manual switching). Is it wrong of me to take advantage of the scarcity of the devices? I even purchased the Panasonic player from Best Buy as open-box, which had a a nice discount (~20% off)!

Only reason I kept my oppo UHD player was to play full disc backups over my network. No putting in discs for me.

Scalpers are no different than those guys who camped to buy a ps3 then went out in front of people who were lined up to buy it and proceeded to smash it on the ground. Some kid in line would have loved to get that and maybe that one they broke is going to prevent him from getting one. He could have been number 21 and they had 20 units.

Local GameStop says stores are posting signs at 8:30pm tonight with the quality they have for tomorrow’s preorders. They say there are people planning to camp out starting 11pm. A little crazy to me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I think I got the membership status when I bought my LG C8 OLED tv. That and I also had gamers club unlocked so I would literally buy any game I felt like I wanted new because of the discount that came along with gamers club unlocked. Im sad that is no longer a thing since i bought all my console games there.

No one has stated what time the restock will take place. If I am up until midnight I'll check a few websites. But no way am I waiting in line for it or sitting around refreshing. It's bad enough being inside the house all day and working from home, let alone sitting in front of a screen any longer than I have to.

I'll get one and a new GPU too whenever I can easily order it. I don't have many games to look forward to except cyberpunk so I'm interested how that will run on my 1080ti if I don't have one of those 20gb 3080's by that time.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think I got the membership status when I bought my LG C8 OLED tv. That and I also had gamers club unlocked so I would literally buy any game I felt like I wanted new because of the discount that came along with gamers club unlocked. Im sad that is no longer a thing since i bought all my console games there.

No one has stated what time the restock will take place. If I am up until midnight I'll check a few websites. But no way am I waiting in line for it or sitting around refreshing. It's bad enough being inside the house all day and working from home, let alone sitting in front of a screen any longer than I have to.

I'll get one and a new GPU too whenever I can easily order it. I don't have many games to look forward to except cyberpunk so I'm interested how that will run on my 1080ti if I don't have one of those 20gb 3080's by that time.

The news that cuberpunk won’t have any enhancements for the series x or ps5 is pretty disappointing for me. I wanted to play the game with ray tracing since I couldn’t get a 3080 either. I thought I would just play it on my series x console but hearing it will play just like an Xbox one x is not what I wanted. For that matter my pc will be a better experience.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you don't want to scalp it you may just want to secure one for yourself since who knows how the pandemic will behave during winter. Possibly supply could drop and you may not be able to get one early 2021. At the same time, it's only an issue if it's the only source of gaming available.

I've got ~600 games in my steam queue. ...and Cyberpunk is out in about 2 months (one hopes), so I'm good through early 2021.

Plus, I need a new roof and a re-pipe on the house, so I also have plenty of things to toss money at right now.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The news that cuberpunk won’t have any enhancements for the series x or ps5 is pretty disappointing for me. I wanted to play the game with ray tracing since I couldn’t get a 3080 either. I thought I would just play it on my series x console but hearing it will play just like an Xbox one x is not what I wanted. For that matter my pc will be a better experience.

Honestly, I’m mostly using the Series X for an all-around better Xbox experience. I’m not planning on putting non-Series titles on spinning storage as I want the loading increases inherent to a good SSD. (Although, I do wonder if more CPU power means an external SSD would be pretty good?). An example of what I hope to see would be like when I was playing Warframe with someone on Xbox, because they didn’t have a PC. It was pretty grueling for me as the loading times for open-world zones were awful compared to my PC. I got annoyed enough that I built a PC and let them use it. Even they were surprised at how much faster it was with just a basic SATA SSD. I wonder if we can see that sort of improvement?

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Honestly, I’m mostly using the Series X for an all-around better Xbox experience. I’m not planning on putting non-Series titles on spinning storage as I want the loading increases inherent to a good SSD. (Although, I do wonder if more CPU power means an external SSD would be pretty good?). An example of what I hope to see would be like when I was playing Warframe with someone on Xbox, because they didn’t have a PC. It was pretty grueling for me as the loading times for open-world zones were awful compared to my PC. I got annoyed enough that I built a PC and let them use it. Even they were surprised at how much faster it was with just a basic SATA SSD. I wonder if we can see that sort of improvement?

I would think an external SSD would see some improvements as the USB ports have been updated to 3.1

There already are some marginal improvements using an external SSD on current Gen.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I would think an external SSD would see some improvements as the USB ports have been updated to 3.1

There already are some marginal improvements using an external SSD on current Gen.
That’s a good point. Fortunately, I’m sure someone will do tests around release as to how fast things load. As for the USB ports, I did notice that they have the SuperSpeed logo, but I didn’t notice the SuperSpeed10 logo. So, I assume they’re 5Gbps?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
GameStop's website stopped working. It just shows a ps 5 out of stock cover page. Apparently all over the country people were camping out at the stores since last night. Bunch of nutjobs lol.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This is what I'm getting when I load up gamestop.com

58833c54dc0d701e39c35581460c09c0.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah they had a queue system. They did that for PS5 and Series X/S launches.

Did you try reading the page :)?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah they had a queue system. They did that for PS5 and Series X/S launches.

Did you try reading the page :)?
I tried to read it but I couldn't zoom in on mobile for some reason. I've got it up on my laptop now just waiting while it auto refreshes.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I tried to read it but I couldn't zoom in on mobile for some reason. I've got it up on my laptop now just waiting while it auto refreshes.

I kept checking periodically but guess I missed the correct time. Never saw it available. I don’t follow twitter etc so if it was posted somewhere there I would never know.

Oh well, even if I don’t get a ps5 there will be many games on the series x to keep me busy for sure. I also don’t have hours and hours to dedicate to gaming these days so it takes me quite a bit longer to complete a game from start to finish.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I kept checking periodically but guess I missed the correct time. Never saw it available. I don’t follow twitter etc so if it was posted somewhere there I would never know.

Oh well, even if I don’t get a ps5 there will be many games on the series x to keep me busy for sure. I also don’t have hours and hours to dedicate to gaming these days so it takes me quite a bit longer to complete a game from start to finish.
I was on GameStop's site today for a few hours. To no avail, I was able to get one in the cart but by the time I pressed pay it was sold out. Also Gamestop only had the spiderman bundle available with 2 controllers and a year of ps plus.

I was ready to go with that either way. I got put back into the waiting que and then like 40 minutes later I saw the preorder button go red I kid you not, 6 times!

Pressing preorder did absolutely nothing so I was forced to refresh. I ended up refreshing so many times, GameStop's site blocked access to my IP. I get access denied if I try to hit their site ever now.

I even used command line to renew and release my IP and it still says access denied lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I was on GameStop's site today for a few hours. To no avail, I was able to get one in the cart but by the time I pressed pay it was sold out. Also Gamestop only had the spiderman bundle available with 2 controllers and a year of ps plus.

I was ready to go with that either way. I got put back into the waiting que and then like 40 minutes later I saw the preorder button go red I kid you not, 6 times!

Pressing preorder did absolutely nothing so I was forced to refresh. I ended up refreshing so many times, GameStop's site blocked access to my IP. I get access denied if I try to hit their site ever now.

I even used command line to renew and release my IP and it still says access denied lol.
Man that sounds exactly like what happened the original night lol. There were generic IP banned messages but randomly you would get lucky.

Based on what people on CAG are saying too it sounds like not many people got orders on Gamestop unless you got one of their outrageous bundles. It's crappy they do those bundles for some of their allocation.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Man that sounds exactly like what happened the original night lol. There were generic IP banned messages but randomly you would get lucky.

Based on what people on CAG are saying too it sounds like not many people got orders on Gamestop unless you got one of their outrageous bundles. It's crappy they do those bundles for some of their allocation.

It’s not terrible if you were gonna buy an extra controller and whatever game they toss in. It’s just the principle of forcing people to take it or leave it I don’t really like.