Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So looks like there will be nothing to get at launch and 2021 is when games will actually start coming out for it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So looks like there will be nothing to get at launch and 2021 is when games will actually start coming out for it.

Seems like it. They didn't show Ratchet and Clank either so I dunno what "Launch Window" means there now. Spiderman looks cool but doesn't look like more than a PS4 title really. Still going to get it anyway.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Yes, though for me the stuff announced on PS plus at launch is what makes me think I will get one sooner. ...it's almost like it was tailored for those of us that skipped a generation, and mostly 2, really, by making a lot of previous gen content instantly available, for very cheap.

I like that...but I agree that's pretty lame for a lot of people. A lot of games I don't care about, but Demon's Souls looks good (never played any of the Dark/Demons souls games...are those the same thing?), and FF XVI looks really good. I surprisingly liked FF XV a lot (on PC), and this looks to be based on that design and play style, so I'm down for more of that. They seem to have abandoned the emo stuff that took over the PS generation games.

The PS5 rendered stuff...didn't look that much different from what is out current generation, does it? Lighting improved a bit, I guess? But textures--especially faces--look pretty flat (referring to spidey game) and maybe a bit below what we've already seen in games in recent years? I know it's not fair to judge on these videos, and it's also probably just the trend of how each generation, while improving, seems to be less and less of a leap in overall experience. :\

I like the price though. Pretty much what I assumed, and also was already prepared for $100 more

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yes, though for me the stuff announced on PS plus at launch is what makes me think I will get one sooner. ...it's almost like it was tailored for those of us that skipped a generation, and mostly 2, really, by making a lot of previous gen content instantly available, for very cheap.

I like that...but I agree that's pretty lame for a lot of people. A lot of games I don't care about, but Demon's Souls looks good (never played any of the Dark/Demons souls games...are those the same thing?), and FF XVI looks really good. I surprisingly liked FF XV a lot (on PC), and this looks to be based on that design and play style, so I'm down for more of that. They seem to have abandoned the emo stuff that took over the PS generation games.

The PS5 rendered stuff...didn't look that much different from what is out current generation, does it? Lighting improved a bit, I guess? But textures--especially faces--look pretty flat (referring to spidey game) and maybe a bit below what we've already seen in games in recent years? I know it's not fair to judge on these videos, and it's also probably just the trend of how each generation, while improving, seems to be less and less of a leap in overall experience. :\

I like the price though. Pretty much what I assumed, and also was already prepared for $100 more

I think we needed more hardware info. Maybe one segment dedicated to the design, some of the features, some pre-order information. Right now we know when it'll come out and how much but not when we can actually pre-order one outside of Sony's lottery. I was actually pretty shocked they used a CoD game on this presentation. I expected something a bit more exclusive.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll be getting the spiderman game as I had fun with the previous one. I have some interest in resident evil 8. Played final fantasy for a bit until last of us part two came out but then haven't touched it since.

God of war is a definite yes for me but that's not out anytime soon. I'll pick one up whenever they allow preorders and move the ps4 pro to my bedroom for use with my projector.

The Epson 3800 isn't a real 4k projector but it does a pretty damn good job at 4k stuff and hdr.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Miles Morales is releasing on PS4 also.

Where is the storage expansion? Do you need to take a panel off or something? Well hidden...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Miles Morales is releasing on PS4 also.

Where is the storage expansion? Do you need to take a panel off or something? Well hidden...

They even said that there is an "upgrade path" for people who buy it on PS4 and later upgrade to a PS5 console. Whatever that means. If it means you can download the PS5 title if you own it on PS4, that's cool I guess. A lot of the art and effects were done to take more advantage of the PS5 hardware but from what the presentation showed, it wasn't anything really amazing. That said, it wasn't in HDR and was limited to 1080p

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
They even said that there is an "upgrade path" for people who buy it on PS4 and later upgrade to a PS5 console. Whatever that means. If it means you can download the PS5 title if you own it on PS4, that's cool I guess. A lot of the art and effects were done to take more advantage of the PS5 hardware but from what the presentation showed, it wasn't anything really amazing. That said, it wasn't in HDR and was limited to 1080p

Really? I was under the impression it was PS5 exclusive.

Horizon Forbidden West also...

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I mostly game on PC. I had a PS2 back in the day. Since then I've had a 360 and a One, both free (one a gift, the other an award). I rarely play anything on the One, mostly just a few games that don't have PC-based DRM (e.g. Fractured But Whole, when it released with Denuvo on PC). The 360 isn't even hooked up anymore. The kids mostly play on the Switch, and the Wii before that.

There's no way I'll buy the new Xbox. It brings absolutely nothing to the table for me.

I might get the PS5, will have to research the differences between the low- and high-end models. If it's like the Xbox, where the low-end next gen can't run prior-gen games because it's gimped then no way. But if it's the function equivalent to the high-end PS5 then I might spring for that. I don't care about launch titles because I've missed EVERYTHING of the PS3 and PS4 eras, so I'd have a lot of catching up to do.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
In the last month I've sat through:

1. NVidia announcement
2. AMD commercials
3. Apple product day
4. Sony Playstation 5 event

So many underwhelming events with disappointing products on showcase. I'm not convinced I should waste any money on anything. So boring. Products I wanted to see were not shown.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I mostly game on PC. I had a PS2 back in the day. Since then I've had a 360 and a One, both free (one a gift, the other an award). I rarely play anything on the One, mostly just a few games that don't have PC-based DRM (e.g. Fractured But Whole, when it released with Denuvo on PC). The 360 isn't even hooked up anymore. The kids mostly play on the Switch, and the Wii before that.

There's no way I'll buy the new Xbox. It brings absolutely nothing to the table for me.

I might get the PS5, will have to research the differences between the low- and high-end models. If it's like the Xbox, where the low-end next gen can't run prior-gen games because it's gimped then no way. But if it's the function equivalent to the high-end PS5 then I might spring for that. I don't care about launch titles because I've missed EVERYTHING of the PS3 and PS4 eras, so I'd have a lot of catching up to do.

Don't think there is a low end and high end ps5 model. It's either a digital model or a model that accepts discs. Forgive me though, I have not watched the whole event yet.

In the last month I've sat through:

1. NVidia announcement
2. AMD commercials
3. Apple product day
4. Sony Playstation 5 event

So many underwhelming events with disappointing products on showcase. I'm not convinced I should waste any money on anything. So boring. Products I wanted to see were not shown.

You forgot #5. Google's upcoming disappointing pixel 5 release which is basically a downgrade processor wise compared to their last year's 4XL phone. I'm sticking with my 4XL.

2020 has been a crap year lol. Although I may get a 3090 becuause I want to run cyberpunk maxed out and not worry about upgrading for another 3 years.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The only real difference is digital-only version vs disc drive. I *think* the backwards compatibility will be digital function mostly, but I could be wrong...I think it was more or less confirmed that PS4 discs, at least, for the most part (maybe not the earliest, pre-Pro era titles) will work on the PS5 drive.

I keep forgetting if this is absolutely confirmed, but the drive is UHD-BD, so that's another solid bonus if you'e never gone that route (like myself). Honestly, if it isn't UHD-BD, then I will probably be way less interested in picking one up. If so, I wonder if there will be a ~2 year update like a PS5 pro that does that? ...however, I think it's more likely that this release generation of PS5 might be the last console with a disc drive.

Processing and capabilities are all the same, however, so the only difference is disc drive vs none.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
ou forgot #5. Google's upcoming disappointing pixel 5 release which is basically a downgrade processor wise compared to their last year's 4XL phone. I'm sticking with my 4XL.

2020 has been a crap year lol. Although I may get a 3090 becuause I want to run cyberpunk maxed out and not worry about upgrading for another 3 years.
I've never watched a Google IO day in my life. What's going on with the P5 anyway? I saw a quick take on Linus' channel about that a month back but couldn't figure out nor did I want to at the time, why they chose a lower end processor. The Pixels are neat, but I don't want bare Android.

I'd wait to see if they deliver some juicy variants before getting anything myself. I have a feeling, a good one, that both Hopper and RDNA3 going MCM is going to suck hard. I'm also confident that Cyberpunk is going to be lame and disappoint people. So much hype for this game...

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The only real difference is digital-only version vs disc drive. I *think* the backwards compatibility will be digital function mostly, but I could be wrong...I think it was more or less confirmed that PS4 discs, at least, for the most part (maybe not the earliest, pre-Pro era titles) will work on the PS5 drive.
That's what I thought as well, but then the Xbox was announced with legitimate hardware differences affecting compatibility. Also, I remember seeing something about PS compatibility not being as encompassing as they had first let on. I've not done any real research for answers though, this was just my knee jerk reaction to the announcement(s) today.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Really? I was under the impression it was PS5 exclusive.

Horizon Forbidden West also...

I thought so too. It seems like one of those games that they were working on for old hardware and reworked a bit to launch around the time of a new console.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's what I thought as well, but then the Xbox was announced with legitimate hardware differences affecting compatibility. Also, I remember seeing something about PS compatibility not being as encompassing as they had first let on. I've not done any real research for answers though, this was just my knee jerk reaction to the announcement(s) today.

there still seems to be a lot that has not been confrmed. For one, I thought the hardware was all confirmed some weeks ago, but reading today's posts, that seems to not be the case?

Early on, there was a lot of talk about "full backwards compatibility," and then that was officially revised to "selective backwards compatibility." I think most interpreted that to mean releases that came after a certain time point in PS4--the Pro had different rendering guts, or something, right, so that could be an issue with emulation. But then, the PS4 was on GCN and PS5 and XBoxes are on RDNA2, so that, itself, should be it's own issue with BC. I'm starting to think that what they are calling backwards compatibility really means whatever they release in the digital store...which really isn't the same. If it can't play certain PS4 discs from ___ years ago, then that isn't backwards compatibility.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Friend said this is the first party launch lineup.

- Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games)
- Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac)
- Astro's Playroom (JAPAN Studio)
- Demon's Souls (Bluepoint)
- Ribits! Big Adventure (SUMO Digital)

If I don't get a PS5 preorder tomorrow I won't care.

If I do get one, I really doubt I will go through with it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

They already announced that ps4 peripheral support is built in for ps4 titles. You can use ps4 fight sticks for example. I don’t imagine they would say this is games didn’t work.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
there still seems to be a lot that has not been confrmed. For one, I thought the hardware was all confirmed some weeks ago, but reading today's posts, that seems to not be the case?

Early on, there was a lot of talk about "full backwards compatibility," and then that was officially revised to "selective backwards compatibility." I think most interpreted that to mean releases that came after a certain time point in PS4--the Pro had different rendering guts, or something, right, so that could be an issue with emulation. But then, the PS4 was on GCN and PS5 and XBoxes are on RDNA2, so that, itself, should be it's own issue with BC. I'm starting to think that what they are calling backwards compatibility really means whatever they release in the digital store...which really isn't the same. If it can't play certain PS4 discs from ___ years ago, then that isn't backwards compatibility.
I thought I read somewhere that they promised BC for the 100 most popular PS4 games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Friend said this is the first party launch lineup.

- Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games)
- Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac)
- Astro's Playroom (JAPAN Studio)
- Demon's Souls (Bluepoint)
- Ribits! Big Adventure (SUMO Digital)

If I don't get a PS5 preorder tomorrow I won't care.

If I do get one, I really doubt I will go through with it.

That’s not very impressive but the spider man is better than anything Microsoft showed us lol

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Looks like $70 is the new price going forward for games.

They said $49.99 to $69.99 which is a broad range of pricing. If they wanted to promote digital they could price them at the lower price point. Say $70 for the disc and $60 digital. Might entice people to go all digital a bit more. The price isn’t much of a concern but I have to wonder why it went up in the first place. Are UHD discs that much more expensive?

They also say in that article that both horizon forbidden west and spider man have upgrade paths from ps4 to ps5. If you buy the ps4 title you can get the ps5 version if you upgrade to the ps5 down the line. Both digital and physical but I assume they just let you download the digital copy and you need the disc to authenticate.

I do hope we receive more details about backwards compatibility. Can I buy a PS4 disc and put it in my ps5? If so there are a few titles I missed as I sold my ps4 a while ago. If it only consists of their digital library they offer via ps+ I wouldn’t be mad. Just would like to know since as others have mentioned I’ve seen reports that disc based titles will work fine but Sony has yet to make anything official.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
They already announced that ps4 peripheral support is built in for ps4 titles. You can use ps4 fight sticks for example. I don’t imagine they would say this is games didn’t work.
Want there something else about not full compatibility for hardware? Like, you could use a PS4 controller on a PS4 game but not on a PS5 game? And what happened to the compatibility/digital offerings of PS3 and prior games? Is that still a thing?