Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I am waiting on TV until the mess gets cleaned up. I want HRD10 and DolbyVision, so that rules out all Samsung sets. The new Vizio PQX has firmware issues. The Sony you mentioned doesn't support 4K/120 (future firmware update supposedly). The only "good" TV currently seems to be the LG OLEDs (even those are cutting the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth a bit, but seems like that shouldn't matter). My room has too many windows so I need the brighter LCDs.

Panasonic

...but unless you're hooking a PC up to it with ~$3k in GPU(s), how do you plan to push 4k/120 on it? Is that a NASCAR thing that you need it for?

Personally, I've hated 120hz for anything film/TV. It nauseates me to the degree that Pan-and-Scan did in the 90s and on. I get it for something like hockey or professional left-turning, but other than that and very expensive gaming, what is it for? PS5 will never be doing 4k/120.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Panasonic

...but unless you're hooking a PC up to it with ~$3k in GPU(s), how do you plan to push 4k/120 on it? Is that a NASCAR thing that you need it for?

Personally, I've hated 120hz for anything film/TV. It nauseates me to the degree that Pan-and-Scan did in the 90s and on. I get it for something like hockey or professional left-turning, but other than that and very expensive gaming, what is it for? PS5 will never be doing 4k/120.

There are already games that are advertised 4K/120. Besides, may as well future proof as much as possible. Cannot use OLED, my room doesn't get very dark, even at night. I need a bright display. I would just get an LG CX otherwise.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I still have no idea whether or not I'm jumping aboard the next gen bandwagon this fall/winter... might sit it out until there's compelling enough reason to throw money at it.

I pre-ordered the PS4 as soon as I could in 2013 and, despite the hype, I only really enjoyed 1 or 2 of the launch offerings (and Destiny wasn't an exclusive).

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Alright, guys. We're in the final 12 hours from what hopefully will be the price unveil for the PS5. Any final last minute guesses on the launch price of the PS5?

My guess (probably the same as most of y'all):
- PS5 Digital Edition: $399 USD
- PS5 w/ Disc Drive: $499 USD

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There was a "leak" posted on the Japanese Bloomberg site yesterday that said the PS5 will be $449 and the digital one will be $399.

They also mentioned that chip issue that is going to cause 4 million less PS5's to be produced.

However I then heard that the "leak" wasn't a leak and was more of them just making a prediction and that it was more of a "lost in translation" thing that made it look like they were leaking something rather than making a prediction.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't really care for the price. Just let me preorder one at my local best buy. I'm thinking it will be $499 for disc version and $399 for all digital.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
$100 still seems like a large gap for the only difference being the disk drive.
Yeah but Sony can take a hit because they are banking on digital purchases which they make more money from than retail physical copies.

It may be their way to entice people to get the discless version since it's $100 less.

Even if the discless version was like $200 I wouldn't get it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
In the past it's been shown that they make more money on the digital games. There's people that actually prefer these versions too, be it laziness or whatever. My thing was if I finished a game quickly I always sold it back for some money or sold it as used. Which is why I didn't care much for digital. I do own some digital versions of games but these are ones where I couldn't get a physical copy.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There was a "leak" posted on the Japanese Bloomberg site yesterday that said the PS5 will be $449 and the digital one will be $399.

They also mentioned that chip issue that is going to cause 4 million less PS5's to be produced.

However I then heard that the "leak" wasn't a leak and was more of them just making a prediction and that it was more of a "lost in translation" thing that made it look like they were leaking something rather than making a prediction.

Sony came out publicly to say the Bloomberg story isn’t true and they have not changed their console launch numbers.

I think the $500/$400 price points make sense. It’s supposed to be an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player in the disc version.

Reactions: Tlh97 and purbeast0

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
In the past it's been shown that they make more money on the digital games. There's people that actually prefer these versions too, be it laziness or whatever. My thing was if I finished a game quickly I always sold it back for some money or sold it as used. Which is why I didn't care much for digital. I do own some digital versions of games but these are ones where I couldn't get a physical copy.
Yeah, I am in the 100% All-Digital camp. I never really owned any Blu-ray movies and I don't really care for selling games that I've already beat because I'm not in desperate need to make back that cash. I like building up the video game collection but also like the convenience of not having to swap out discs. Seeing as how you still have to copy the contents over to the hard drive anyways for a Blu-ray game, there isn't any benefit to going all-disc from the perspective of saving hard drive space either. *shrug*

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
As someone who has a 10' screen that is 1080p and no HDR support, I couldn't care less about HDR or 4k. 1080p games and blurays look fantastic on it.

I'd take 1080p with better performance and graphics any day over having 4k and HDR with lower performance.

It's easy to say that when you don't have 4k nor the interest to upgrade but for those of us already with 4k screens and HDR, it does matter. 4K looks so much better than anything in 1080p. Like wow. So much better.

My 120" screen is fed by a 1080p projector and I agree that 1080p through a good projector looks amazing on the big screen. I even use a DarbeeVision box which gives the picture an HDR like effect and really takes 1080p to another level IMO but none of it compares to 4k.

A 4k projector is without a doubt one of my most wanted devices but I'm waiting on better pricing for the better units.

So as far as gaming goes, 4k is tops for me and my 1080ti plays most games with all the bells and whistles cranked up, perfectly fine. Some more demanding games I have to tweak to get the 60 fps I want but still, they look so much better than 1080p.

I own two Samsung 55" quantum dot displays (4k and HDR) and man I'd not trade them for any 1080p screen.

Reactions: Tlh97

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's easy to say that when you don't have 4k nor the interest to upgrade but for those of us already with 4k screens and HDR, it does matter. 4K looks so much better than anything in 1080p. Like wow. So much better.

My 120" screen is fed by a 1080p projector and I agree that 1080p through a good projector looks amazing on the big screen. I even use a DarbeeVision box which gives the picture an HDR like effect and really takes 1080p to another level IMO but none of it compares to 4k.

A 4k projector is without a doubt one of my most wanted devices but I'm waiting on better pricing for the better units.

So as far as gaming goes, 4k is tops for me and my 1080ti plays most games with all the bells and whistles cranked up, perfectly fine. Some more demanding games I have to tweak to get the 60 fps I want but still, they look so much better than 1080p.

I own two Samsung 55" quantum dot displays (4k and HDR) and man I'd not trade them for any 1080p screen.
I do have a 4K display and I still couldn't care less about watching anything in 4K on it.

Yes it is noticeably better, but it's nothing along the lines of like vhs -> dvd -> HD. I'm not saying it doesn't look better. I'm talking about the tradeoffs that have to be made to hit the benchmark of 4k.

I would much rather games come out completely optimized and buttery smooth running at 60fps at 1080p with graphical fidelity that can't be achieved at 4k right now. The tradeoff to me is nowhere near worth it.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah, I am in the 100% All-Digital camp. I never really owned any Blu-ray movies and I don't really care for selling games that I've already beat because I'm not in desperate need to make back that cash. I like building up the video game collection but also like the convenience of not having to swap out discs. Seeing as how you still have to copy the contents over to the hard drive anyways for a Blu-ray game, there isn't any benefit to going all-disc from the perspective of saving hard drive space either. *shrug*

The SSD is pretty small. You would need to download the whole game again versus just the patch.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I do have a 4K display and I still couldn't care less about watching anything in 4K on it.

Yes it is noticeably better, but it's nothing along the lines of like vhs -> dvd -> HD. I'm not saying it doesn't look better. I'm talking about the tradeoffs that have to be made to hit the benchmark of 4k.

I would much rather games come out completely optimized and buttery smooth running at 60fps at 1080p with graphical fidelity that can't be achieved at 4k right now. The tradeoff to me is nowhere near worth it.

I feel the opposite. So we will have to agree to disagree. 4k to my eyes is night and day difference. Running a 4k source to a 4k display is ...awesome. Running a 1080p source to 4k display is not.

The trade off right now is worth it to me. All the more reason to buy a GTX 3080. My 1080ti already plays most games well above 60fps with graphics pumped up. Some games though do require even more power.

Reactions: Tlh97 and purbeast0

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
The SSD is pretty small. You would need to download the whole game again versus just the patch.
Yeah, you're right from the perspective of installation, but I don't believe you save space overall. I have a few games on my 1TB PS4 and I don't have space issues, and that's including CODMW which is a stupid 200+GB with Warzone. I probably won't be playing the next COD so hopefully games come back down to being under 100 GB.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I hope the digital version comes with a big hard drive then. I have a habit of buying a lot of games so that's is why I preferred getting rid of the disc versions by selling them or trading them in. I for one may want to play a ps4 titles on the ps5 so popping in the disc is easier than waiting for a download as I have 20+ ps4 games in disc format I never really finished.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I hope the digital version comes with a big hard drive then. I have a habit of buying a lot of games so that's is why I preferred getting rid of the disc versions by selling them or trading them in. I for one may want to play a ps4 titles on the ps5 so popping in the disc is easier than waiting for a download as I have 20+ ps4 games in disc format I never really finished.

Have to think the 825 GB space won't change. I do think there will be a 1650 GB model but that would be disk and later.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The game size is going to go down drastically with the new SSD. They won't have to have all this duplicate data all over the place for access time reasons like they currently do now.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Prior to this showing I was 100% getting PS5 at launch.

No I am thinking I probably won't.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Will watch it later tonight when I have time. Launch games never have interested me, not for ps3 or ps4. It's the titles that come later that are nice to play.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Prices confirmed:
- PS5 Digital Edition: $399 USD
- PS5 w/ Disc Drive: $499 USD

PD3aWcp.jpg

Here's the back view if you're curious:
- (2) USB ports (non-C)
- Ethernet
- HDMI
- Power