Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like we will be getting PS5 launch info this week on Wednesday.

I'm curious if they will announce the price and what it will be seeing how Xbox series X will be $499. Im betting it will be $399 for the digital ps5 and $499 for the disc version. I also heard there will be a 2tb model. I would want the 2tb model anyway as I went from 500 to 1tb to 2 tb on the ps4 pro throughout the years.

Don't think I'll get the Xbox this go around. Will probably upgrade my GPU in my pc and maybe stick with gamepass so I can have access to some Xbox games. Ps5 has won me over more times with it's titles compared the Xbox.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I also heard there will be a 2tb model. I would want the 2tb model anyway as I went from 500 to 1tb to 2 tb on the ps4 pro throughout the years.

It would be 1650 GB, and doesn't look like it's going to happen at launch.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm curious if they will announce the price and what it will be seeing how Xbox series X will be $499. Im betting it will be $399 for the digital ps5 and $499 for the disc version. I also heard there will be a 2tb model. I would want the 2tb model anyway as I went from 500 to 1tb to 2 tb on the ps4 pro throughout the years.

Don't think I'll get the Xbox this go around. Will probably upgrade my GPU in my pc and maybe stick with gamepass so I can have access to some Xbox games. Ps5 has won me over more times with it's titles compared the Xbox.
I've thought $399/$499 all along even before Xbox announced their prices. I'm hoping it sticks to that. I'm more curious to see what the launch titles are than the price though.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I like the new controller. I like the looks of the PS5. I like the layout of the PS3, PS4, and PS5 controller.

Hmmm RTX 3080 Ti or PS5. Decisions.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Here is an interesting article about the HDD and how much of an improvement we can expect.

The 825gb drive in PS5 should hold more games than current gen would on 1tb drives because game sizes should be cut down drastically.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I like the new controller. I like the looks of the PS5. I like the layout of the PS3, PS4, and PS5 controller.

Not sure there will be a 3080ti. Unfortunately for me it would be both.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Some of the stuff Insomniac is doing with Ratchet and Clank and the new controller is pretty awesome.

They said how with some weapons, the trigger is dual function. Like you pull it halfway to shoot one type of ammo then pull it fully to get another type of ammo. And it sounded like when you pull halfway, it kind of "stops" so it's very easy to distinct between half and full pull.

And then they said when your gun overheats the trigger locks up and you literally can't pull the trigger until it cools down.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

If it had to be one, I'd go PS5. In terms of sheer value for money, a $499 console (assuming that's the price) can last for several years. A 3080 Ti, provided it shows up, would both cost significantly above $499 and might lose a lot of its appeal in a few years.

Of course, it also depends on your existing GPU. Any current RTX 3000-series model will likely be a sizeable improvement over your GTX 1080 Ti, but it's a question of whether or not you're really feeling the limits of your current card. If you are, then an RTX 3080-anything would have decent value.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Of course, it also depends on your existing GPU. Any current RTX 3000-series model will likely be a sizeable improvement over your GTX 1080 Ti, but it's a question of whether or not you're really feeling the limits of your current card. If you are, then an RTX 3080-anything would have decent value.

I play at 4k so the more powerful the video card the better. The GTX 1080 Ti has treated me well but performance could be better for sure on some games. I skipped the 2080 ti as I did not think it was worth upgrading to but the 3080 would be. Cost wise though the PS5 makes sense. I'll likely buy both eventually.

Reactions: Tlh97 and zinfamous

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Am I the only one thinking PS5 + a solid current spec TV (thinking 900h XBR, probably 65" because the 75" tax is soooo much and I am coming up from a non-HDR 2015 55" XBR) is part of the equation?

I want the goodies like HDR and VRR.

So my $500 console is going to run me $1,700 plus tax :eek: :tearsofjoy:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Am I the only one thinking PS5 + a solid current spec TV (thinking 900h XBR, probably 65" because the 75" tax is soooo much and I am coming up from a non-HDR 2015 55" XBR) is part of the equation?

As someone who has a 10' screen that is 1080p and no HDR support, I couldn't care less about HDR or 4k. 1080p games and blurays look fantastic on it.

I'd take 1080p with better performance and graphics any day over having 4k and HDR with lower performance.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
As someone who has a 10' screen that is 1080p and no HDR support, I couldn't care less about HDR or 4k. 1080p games and blurays look fantastic on it.

I'd take 1080p with better performance and graphics any day over having 4k and HDR with lower performance.

Yeah, I have that too, but I really enjoy the fancy stuff (including HDR) on my PC monitor and want to experience this stuff in its full glory.

Ok, so my screen is only 90”. So there is that.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I probably wouldn't upgrade from a 2015 TV myself, but if I was craving 4K (not sure if your TV has that), HDR and other modern creature comforts... maybe! You can always sell your existing TV to recoup part of the difference.

Me, I'm glad I bought my TV in late 2017... I have 4K and HDR already (no VRR, but I can live without it).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I probably wouldn't upgrade from a 2015 TV myself, but if I was craving 4K (not sure if your TV has that), HDR and other modern creature comforts... maybe! You can always sell your existing TV to recoup part of the difference.

Me, I'm glad I bought my TV in late 2017... I have 4K and HDR already (no VRR, but I can live without it).

Just 4K and really solid PQ as HDR at that time was minimal at best, the internal Android subsystem is getting pretty dated and even with the projector, with two elementary kids our living room gets all the love. The pandemic has pushed the “theater room” usage to all time highs though, decisions ;)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I sold my Sony xbr 55 android tv a year or two ago and have been using a 55 LG C8 OLED since. I plan on using it also with the ps5 as well. I do miss android tv but I have a Nvidia shield pro that I use in my bedroom with a epson 3800 home cinema projector. I do like the visuals from 4k on the ps4 pro using the LG tv. I would only upgrade if you didn't already have a 4k tv.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

I am waiting on TV until the mess gets cleaned up. I want HRD10 and DolbyVision, so that rules out all Samsung sets. The new Vizio PQX has firmware issues. The Sony you mentioned doesn't support 4K/120 (future firmware update supposedly). The only "good" TV currently seems to be the LG OLEDs (even those are cutting the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth a bit, but seems like that shouldn't matter). My room has too many windows so I need the brighter LCDs.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I am waiting on TV until the mess gets cleaned up. I want HRD10 and DolbyVision, so that rules out all Samsung sets. The new Vizio PQX has firmware issues. The Sony you mentioned doesn't support 4K/120 (future firmware update supposedly). The only "good" TV currently seems to be the LG OLEDs (even those are cutting the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth a bit, but seems like that shouldn't matter). My room has too many windows so I need the brighter LCDs.

Yeah, I am banking the firmware actually comes and enables everything. I won’t buy one until after it drops.

TV shopping always sounds like fun and then I realize there are only like three models that check my boxes. Like car shopping.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Saylick

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I sold my Sony xbr 55 android tv a year or two ago and have been using a 55 LG C8 OLED since. I plan on using it also with the ps5 as well. I do miss android tv but I have a Nvidia shield pro that I use in my bedroom with a epson 3800 home cinema projector. I do like the visuals from 4k on the ps4 pro using the LG tv. I would only upgrade if you didn't already have a 4k tv.

I'm honestly not sure how you could miss Sony's AndroidTV implementation as it's downright atrociously slow. I have an X930E, and the TV's display capability is actually really good, Sony saddled the TV with an awfully slow MediaTek SoC that just cannot handle AndroidTV. What makes it worse is that AndroidTV use is required for handling any settings changes. This is even worse when you consider how laggy the TV is in picture modes designed for media playback, which means you'll want to swap between a media mode (e.g. Custom) to a game-oriented mode (i.e. Game Mode) when playing games.

I literally ended up running another HDMI cable to the TV, which connects to the second HDMI 18Gbps port, which is set to Game Mode by default. So, now when I want to play games on it, I have it switch to HDMI 2, and if I want to watch something, it goes to HDMI 3.

So, uh... in short, one of the must haves for my next TV is Auto-Low-Latency Mode (ALLM). In addition, I'd also prefer HDMI 2.1 (4K120, eARC, etc.), VRR, and 1000+ nit peak brightness, and that latter pretty much rules out any OLED TV. It may seem like a weird requirement, but the first UHD movie that I watched was Sicario, and the scene at the beginning with the sunlight piercing through the window caused me to squint a bit from how bright it was. Something that should be really bright (i.e. the sun) actually being bright just feels far more immersive.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm honestly not sure how you could miss Sony's AndroidTV implementation as it's downright atrociously slow. I have an X930E, and the TV's display capability is actually really good, Sony saddled the TV with an awfully slow MediaTek SoC that just cannot handle AndroidTV. What makes it worse is that AndroidTV use is required for handling any settings changes. This is even worse when you consider how laggy the TV is in picture modes designed for media playback, which means you'll want to swap between a media mode (e.g. Custom) to a game-oriented mode (i.e. Game Mode) when playing games.

I literally ended up running another HDMI cable to the TV, which connects to the second HDMI 18Gbps port, which is set to Game Mode by default. So, now when I want to play games on it, I have it switch to HDMI 2, and if I want to watch something, it goes to HDMI 3.

So, uh... in short, one of the must haves for my next TV is Auto-Low-Latency Mode (ALLM). In addition, I'd also prefer HDMI 2.1 (4K120, eARC, etc.), VRR, and 1000+ nit peak brightness, and that latter pretty much rules out any OLED TV. It may seem like a weird requirement, but the first UHD movie that I watched was Sicario, and the scene at the beginning with the sunlight piercing through the window caused me to squint a bit from how bright it was. Something that should be really bright (i.e. the sun) actually being bright just feels far more immersive.
I miss the use of Android TV :) not the way it was running on the Sony tv. It definitely was not quick and more slow and cumbersome to use with the specs of the tv. It runs beautifully on the shield pro on my projector.

One of the reasons I ended up selling the tv in the end actually. Like you mentioned the picture was great but playback and use of the system became annoying in the end. I very much prefer the shield.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

3090 = "3080ti"

...there will probably be something between 3070 and 3080, though. eventually.

As for me, I will wait a few months, maybe, then pick up a PS5 disc version early next year--especially if we learn soon enough that a larger SSD will be available.

Only thing I'm concerned about is if my Vega 64 can handle Cyberpunk when it comes out (I'm at 3440 x 1440...le sigh). I might be tossing money into ~3080 or whatever AMD has at that time...jsut for that game, lol. ...and yeah, would affect timing of the PS5 purchase.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They said how with some weapons, the trigger is dual function. Like you pull it halfway to shoot one type of ammo then pull it fully to get another type of ammo. And it sounded like when you pull halfway, it kind of "stops" so it's very easy to distinct between half and full pull.

The throttle pedal on my VW GTI does that!

:colbert:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

no HDR for me, but crappy 4k 2015 TV. ....I'm actually thinking this time next year...if things work out, that I might go UST laser projector. :O

shut the front door....I would actually need to upgrade some of the wiring in my house, because this ish is old, and I ain't plugging one of those things, with proper (maybe also upgraded) sound, into these walls with the low confidence that I already have....quoted right now is about $600 to run each new dedicated line in my place (which is also older than oldsmoboat)

(...and for my current space, I would be looking for something that can minimum at the 85" image, lol)