Official Playstation 5 thread

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
UPDATED - Changed this from controller to the official PS5 thread to consolidate info here

Looks like we will be getting launch info this upcoming week.

ORIGINAL

Here's a pic of it:

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

And here is the article Sony put out:

I still can't believe they have the left analog in the wrong spot, but not really surprised I guess since they've had it there since PSX days and they aren't going to change it now.

Also surprised they kept the touch pad. It's one of the dumbest things on the PS4 controller and I've only ever played one game that used it in a great way - Astro Bot. Nobody used it and nobody is going to use it on PS5.

I also don't like that instead of the controller glow pointing away from you, it's not pointing up at your face. At least it doesn't look like it will light up a whole room like the PS4 controller does though.

It's also ugly as all hell with the 2 colors.

On the plus side, it looks like it won't feel like a child's toy while you are holding it and it has some bulk. Hopefully it fits like a glove similar to the Switch Pro Controller. It looks like it might.

Microphone in the controller is also a pretty cool for quick voice chats.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
They probably kept the touchpad for backward compatibility at the minimum.

Agreed on the ugliness. That said, I've always been a function over form guy so the looks are neither positive nor negative.

It seems to be an improvement. I'm mainly disappointed that it doesn't have buttons on the rear, which I thought might be coming after they made that attachment for PS4 controllers a few months ago.

Reactions: Alaa

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
You can adjust the brightness of the light bar on the DS4 controller... it's not that bright at the lowest setting.

This image is just a rendering though; hopefully they release a full jet black version as the white is likely to become filthy after a year or two

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Here's a pic of it:

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

And here is the article Sony put out:

I still can't believe they have the left analog in the wrong spot, but not really surprised I guess since they've had it there since PSX days and they aren't going to change it now.

Also surprised they kept the touch pad. It's one of the dumbest things on the PS4 controller and I've only ever played one game that used it in a great way - Astro Bot. Nobody used it and nobody is going to use it on PS5.

I also don't like that instead of the controller glow pointing away from you, it's not pointing up at your face. At least it doesn't look like it will light up a whole room like the PS4 controller does though.

It's also ugly as all hell with the 2 colors.

On the plus side, it looks like it won't feel like a child's toy while you are holding it and it has some bulk. Hopefully it fits like a glove similar to the Switch Pro Controller. It looks like it might.

Microphone in the controller is also a pretty cool for quick voice chats.

Sorry but Sony got it right for the analogue sticks, been using them since the mid 90's and despite my best efforts the Xbox/Nintendo style offset just does't work for me (or either of my brothers actually).

I have seen this controller referred to as something out of Portal, don't mind the looks but I do like the fact it might be a little larger.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sorry but Sony got it right for the analogue sticks, been using them since the mid 90's and despite my best efforts the Xbox/Nintendo style offset just does't work for me (or either of my brothers actually).

I have seen this controller referred to as something out of Portal, don't mind the looks but I do like the fact it might be a little larger.
So you're saying the d-pad on the original PSX controller was in the wrong place. And the d-pad on SNES was in the wrong place. And the d-pad on Genesis was in the wrong place.

The analog was tacked on for a handful of PSX games. It was put in the only available secondary place they could have tacked it on. And since then it's been in the secondary position.

There are 2 places that are "natural" resting spots for our thumbs when holding a controller. And it is where the d-pad and face buttons are on the PSX controller. On the other consoles that actually have good controllers, they have the left analog stick and face buttons in those positions.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
As long as they improve on battery life that would be good. I can't remember the last time I charged my Xbox controller with rechargable pack I bought for them. Its weird because I have large hands and I think the Xbox controller after a while feels annoying to hold but I don't notice myself complaining about the PS4 controller so I hope it's not too wide with this new render.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Someone on Reddit made a short video showing the size difference between the PS4 and PS5 controller: PS4 vs PS5 Controller

Basically, they are roughly the same size. The main buttons are all in the same place as the previous controller, at least relatively speaking. The outer edges of the PS5 controller are more rounded, however, so it looks like it will have a similar in-hand feel as the Xbox One controller.

Of course, people are already playing around with the reference render to give it the color(s) they want, e.g.:
gyd9kfjm2ir41.jpg

I don't think the upward facing light bars will be as bright as some people think... Definitely not so bright as to blind you when it's on.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I don't get the hate for the touchpad. Maybe disappointment that it is underutilized or can't feasibly be used as originally showcased in many situations. But it works great to provide 2 more buttons that can be easily accessed by either thumb. Most games use a full depress of the button to access the in-game menus while shifting saving and loading and game settings to a more system level menu on the options button. It generally makes for a cleaner experience, especially in games like Horizon or God of War where you are regularly accessing the game menus with half a dozen tabs. I don't know how widespread the capacitive portion of the pad is used but I've used it with a quick tap or swipe in a few games to momentarily bring back the UI or portions of the UI that I had turned off.

You could put several physical buttons in the same space, but they wouldn't be as accessible as the current touchpad and they would likely remain just as underutilized for any cross-platform games. Underside paddles are probably a better solution for additional physical buttons, but again would probably end up underutilized in many cases. In the end I guess these are niche cases making use of these controls, but it isn't the controller's fault that developers don't make use of it. Maybe with the PS5 they'll extend control remapping to the touchpad instead of just the common buttons.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I hate all the haptic feedback stuff. Don't get me wrong, all that is really cool when it's actually implemented. But it won't be, just like almost no game uses the HD Rumble on the Switch to much effect either and Nintendo basically abandoned it with the Switch Lite. All of that is why the joycons cost $90 and I'm expecting a DualSense to run in the ~$100 range too if I need to replace it. If gamedevs aren't going to use it then all the haptic feedback will do is make the controllers ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
As long as they improve on battery life that would be good. I can't remember the last time I charged my Xbox controller with rechargable pack I bought for them. Its weird because I have large hands and I think the Xbox controller after a while feels annoying to hold but I don't notice myself complaining about the PS4 controller so I hope it's not too wide with this new render.

God the DS4 sucks for battery life. With all this free time now I have been playing the hell out of Persona 5 Royal and after 5-6 hours I have to stop and recharge the thing. I wish it was like XBox where I could use AA batteries and just swap in a charged pair then they run out like I do with my 360 controller.

Reactions: killster1

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
God the DS4 sucks for battery life. With all this free time now I have been playing the hell out of Persona 5 Royal and after 5-6 hours I have to stop and recharge the thing. I wish it was like XBox where I could use AA batteries and just swap in a charged pair then they run out like I do with my 360 controller.
I'm using the Microsoft Xbox battery pack too which I heard people said wasn't good for the Xbox one x controllers. I've had mine over a year and they still hold charge the longest. They definitely need to improve on the new controller's battery and they should also allow the lighting effect to be toggled off if one wanted to, not just dim it.

cosmo1212

Apr 7, 2020
Not exactly sure how I feel about this yet but definitely excited to have a new controller!

Mar 11, 2004
Seems that they've just made it easy to do custom color stuff, where you just pop off the outer clamshell bits on each side and then the touch pad. But since they did the touchpad that you'll have to pony up for official branded ones.

My issue with the touchpad is the placement. It should be down below. I think it would've been good to make it an actual display where it'd pop up a keyboard for text input (with ability to do swipe word input). And then it could have some context sensitive controls for different things, or just displaying things.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So you're saying the d-pad on the original PSX controller was in the wrong place. And the d-pad on SNES was in the wrong place. And the d-pad on Genesis was in the wrong place.

The analog was tacked on for a handful of PSX games. It was put in the only available secondary place they could have tacked it on. And since then it's been in the secondary position.

There are 2 places that are "natural" resting spots for our thumbs when holding a controller. And it is where the d-pad and face buttons are on the PSX controller. On the other consoles that actually have good controllers, they have the left analog stick and face buttons in those positions.

I've never had a problem using any controller. I pick it up and go, with no issues. The PS4 controller feels better than the Xbox controller to me, I like the more rounded shape. I have no issues with the analog stick positioning. The biggest issue with the PS4 controller is not the analog stick placement, it's the low quality rubber on the stick. All my PS4 controllers (i've had about 5) have gotten ultra slippery and even had one that almost felt like it was melting. I cleaned it and then the next day it felt all sticky and greasy despite me not touching it so it wasn't skin oils. If they fix that and give a battery life similar to the Switch Pro controller(that thing lasts forever) I'd be good with it. That said I'm not exactly itching for a new console anyway. Especially not when pretty much all game development has stopped it seems with a number of titles being postponed indefinitely. At the moment I only have a switch and play everything else on PC. They are gonna have to sell me on it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

The Switch Pro Controller lasts seemingly forever. That is how you do a rechargeable controller. It doesn't have lights on it either which is just unnecessary and a dumb addition to the PS controllers.

Reactions: blckgrffn

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Especially not when pretty much all game development has stopped it seems with a number of titles being postponed indefinitely. At the moment I only have a switch and play everything else on PC. They are gonna have to sell me on it.
Game development definitely hasn't stopped. Those indefinite postponements are because the big AAA games depend on physical sales, which is difficult right now. Companies are still developing their games.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Game development definitely hasn't stopped. Those indefinite postponements are because the big AAA games depend on physical sales, which is difficult right now. Companies are still developing their games.
Yea specially last of us part 2. Main reason it was indefinitely delayed. Ghosts of tsushima though may release in June and that's also a Sony title. My guess is that since it's not such a popular title and a new IP Sony will probably let it release.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The Switch Pro Controller lasts seemingly forever. That is how you do a rechargeable controller. It doesn't have lights on it either which is just unnecessary and a dumb addition to the PS controllers.

My Switch Pro Controller doesn't seem to last the 60-70 hours I see others getting, but it's night and day better than DualShock 4 for sure. DualShock 4 is the only controller I have ever used where I have to consistently stop playing a game because it's out of charge. Switch Pro Controller is definitely my favorite wireless controller I have ever used. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the DualShock 2 though.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Honestly, I hoped they move to an asymmetric design (like on Xbox) to put the left stick in a more ergonomic place.
Xbox's D-pad is much more usable as well.
Sure, this layout worked for years, people got used to it. And it's not like PS doesn't sell well... :)
I understand the sentiment and habits, but Sony essentially uses a 90s' layout in a funky spacesuit.

I bought my first console in 2018 (and I haven't played on a console for years... since PS2 at least), I found the Xbox controller so much more comfortable.

Also, I can't stop thinking that MS tries to make the Xbox match a typical modern living room, while Sony aim is to make PS5 stand out visually - maybe even attract the PC RGB crowd.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

You can walk into Target, Walmart, or Gamestop easily so that seems like just an excuse to me. Amazon is still shipping as are are all other major retailers. Physical games are no more difficult to get now than any other time.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You can walk into Target, Walmart, or Gamestop easily so that seems like just an excuse to me. Amazon is still shipping as are are all other major retailers. Physical games are no more difficult to get now than any other time.
The issue was with after for example, the ff7 remake, the logistics and factories that create physical discs were closed. Of course to the last of us particularly, they wouldn't dare try and sell that game without a physical release.

Other titles that were already out sure you could walk into a store and get them. Now, I think most factories worldwide could be open but probably nowhere near production capacity before the virus hit.