***OFFICIAL*** OU vs LSU Sugar Bowl thread (BCS = Big Scam, USC #1, where's shinerburke?)

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JackDawkins

Aug 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Mill

Thanks, bud, but the only reason USC is co-champs is because they don't have to play LSU, and the media wanted to make sure any one loss team was a champ. Take your incredibly myopic and biased reasoning and shove it. I've thrown stats at you like a Sportscenter Anchor and you keep popping off about UFOs and liaisons with aliens. Post some stats or facts or shut up.
LOL, you better stfu so you don't come across as a bigger idiot. I mean the USC team voted number one by polls and had a much better showing than LSU in their bowl game. Maybe everyone else is myopic and biased but you, huh? Moron.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: JackDawkins

Thanks, bud, but the only reason USC is co-champs is because they don't have to play LSU, and the media wanted to make sure any one loss team was a champ. Take your incredibly myopic and biased reasoning and shove it. I've thrown stats at you like a Sportscenter Anchor and you keep popping off about UFOs and liaisons with aliens. Post some stats or facts or shut up.
LOL, you better stfu so you don't come across as a bigger idiot. I mean the USC team voted number one by polls and had a much better showing than LSU in their bowl game. Maybe everyone else is myopic and biased but you, huh? Moron.

not by playing better teams and beating them. much better showing against a much lesser team (i'd hope so, but that doesn't make them #1).

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Back for more? There is no indication that LSU wouldn't have been voted number 1 in both polls had the Coach's poll not been forced to vote them number 1. Many in the media didn't vote their "true" feeling because they felt USC should have an equal share. If the Coach's poll had been based on pure opinion and the AP poll, then WHO KNOWS who would have been number 1. Secondly, you still haven' answered why USC with 2 wins over Top 25 opponents is better than LSU that had 3 wins over Top 5 opponents and 5-6 over top 25 opponents overall. Scared? Stupid? Both? What bias do I have? I don't really care for LSU at all! They're our rival, but they are certainly better than USC or the Flop-10. If anyone is coming off as an idiot it is you, especially with the LOLkthxbyestfunoob stuff you are doing.

JackDawkins

Aug 15, 2003

Back for more? There is no indication that LSU wouldn't have been voted number 1 in both polls had the Coach's poll not been forced to vote them number 1. Many in the media didn't vote their "true" feeling because they felt USC should have an equal share. If the Coach's poll had been based on pure opinion and the AP poll, then WHO KNOWS who would have been number 1. Secondly, you still haven' answered why USC with 2 wins over Top 25 opponents is better than LSU that had 3 wins over Top 5 opponents and 5-6 over top 25 opponents overall. Scared? Stupid? Both? What bias do I have? I don't really care for LSU at all! They're our rival, but they are certainly better than USC or the Flop-10. If anyone is coming off as an idiot it is you, especially with the LOLkthxbyestfunoob stuff you are doing.
Well, I give it to you for tenacity, thats' for sure. But there's no indication at all that USC wouldn't come in atop the coaches poll, and now you claim to read the minds of the media? Hah. Keep trying with your conspiracies.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Well, I give it to you for tenacity, thats' for sure. But there's no indication at all that USC wouldn't come in atop the coaches poll, and now you claim to read the minds of the media? Hah. Keep trying with your conspiracies.
LOL "tenacity" is Evans middle name!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

There's no indication that USC would have been voted number one if the AP if the Coach's didn't have a tie in. Do you have any proof that people didn't vote that way to make sure USC shared it instead of voting for their true feeling? Do you have any proof that USC would have come in at the top of the Coach's poll? How many Top 25 teams have they beat? How many Top 5?

JackDawkins

Aug 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
LOL "tenacity" is Evans middle name!
Anyhow, it's all moot now because Dullard's Computer Rankings have spoken. :)

Anyway, Mill, I'm giving up on this conversation. Like you not being a fan of LSU, I typically hate USC. I'm a Michigan fan but I knew they didn't have what it took this year.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

There's no indication that USC would have been voted number one if the AP if the Coach's didn't have a tie in. Do you have any proof that people didn't vote that way to make sure USC shared it instead of voting for their true feeling? Do you have any proof that USC would have come in at the top of the Coach's poll? How many Top 25 teams have they beat? How many Top 5?

Since you are the one espousing the consipiracy theory, you are the one with the burden of proof.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz

Since you are the one espousing the consipiracy theory, you are the one with the burden of proof.

Did LSU win the coach's poll or not?

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz

Did LSU win the coach's poll or not?

they did
but it wasnt much of a poll was it, it was a contractual binding

i am not saying that they wud have voted for SC, but they were following a contract, so we cant be sure either way whom they really wanted to vote

i dont know why people are arguing so vehemently

LSU agreed played some more better teams and they played a lot of cup cakes too, USC played some good and a lot of decent teams

they are both good, the system is what needs to go, , hell you place the philadelphia Eagles in Conference USA and they will whoop everyones ass yet they wont make it to the BCS championship game

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
One thing that bugs me is both USC and LSU got to play these Championship games at home.

I'd like to see USC play Michigan at home in January !:cool:

Because the USC players would see the white stuff floating down from the sky and either:
-freak out and run for shelter
OR
-do a little celebration dance, and then bend down to the ground and try snorting it.

Seriously, I would LOVE to see a bowl game played in a northern stadium (and not a dome ;) )

jerkdiggler

Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
I'm willing to bet there are more coaches in California too..

puhlease. how can you even THINK that when 60% of the population lives east of the mississippi.

there are MORE conferences in the east and midwest. how many california major conferences are there?? oh ya, ONE.
rolleye.gif

There were plenty of sportwriters that only voted USC to make sure they got a share. It was not an indicator of who was the better team. They simply did it to make sure USC got the share. Secondly, at LSU beat what 5 top 25 teams, and USC beat 2? I can't believe you're still mad that LSU beat UGA twice.

jerkdiggler

Jul 16, 2002
I think the one thing missing in the BCS is that we dont weigh the later games heavier along with some sort of margin of victory (capped at a point). Sure, the last games someone plays shouldn't change things dramatically, but, when a team loses a game in the beginning of the season in overtime, it shouldnt mean as much as team gettin destroyed in the last game of the season. Kansas St. lost to Ohio St. who lost to Michigan who lost to USC. Ironically, OU got destroyed by K St.. Sure, the logic isnt perfect, but one would have to lean towards saying that OU was the weaker of those 4 teams going into the Bowl week. That being said. Whose victory was more impressive??? USC's of course!!!!!! Leinhart's offense has been clicking on all cylinders ever since that loss and after seeing Whites last two games, he's gonna be the next Gino whatever the fvck his name his (I think it was toretti). OU didnt deserve to be there and White didnt deserve the heisman and LSU is unlucky that they didnt get to play USC cause they have no right to claim they were better.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Mookow

Seriously, I would LOVE to see a bowl game played in a northern stadium (and not a dome ;) )

You must have missed the humanitarian bowl, played on the 3rd.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Some of you guys are just plain idiots.....

Don't blame USC, or accuse USC of playing a soft schedule.

Opening game? How about on the road at TOP 5 ranked Auburn - in fact, #1 ranked by quite a few publications. USC wins 23-0. Auburn finishes 8-5 with a bowl win over Wisconsin.
2nd game - home game against BYU - an average team, usually has a good offense...USC wins 35-18..BYU finishes 4-8
3rd game - Hawaii - USC wins 61-32....Hawaii finishes at 9-5 with a bowl win over Houston
4th game - At Cal - USC loses in OT 34-31...Cal finishes 8-6 with a bowl win over Virginia Tech - Cal played 8 bowl teams, including Kansas St (lost 42-28)
5th game - at Arizona St - USC wins 37-17..ASU finishes at 5-7
6th game - Stanford, USC wins 44-21..Stanford finishes 4-7
7th game - Notre Dame, USC wins 45-14 - this is the game that gives USC the most exposure to the East Coast Media, who for some reason continue to pay close attention to ND games for some reason - its the same game last year that wins the Heisman trophy for Carson Palmer...ND finishes at 5-7
8th game - at Washington, USC wins 43-23...Washington, like Auburn, was a highly ranked team coming into the season, with a good QB/WR combo, but with the coaching mess and opening day loss to Ohio St, they never get untracked, finishing at 6-6 with a win over rival Wash St.
9th game - Wash St. - USC wins 43-16..Wash St finishes 10-3 with a win over highly ranked Texas
10th game - at Arizona, USC wins 45-0..Arizona finishes a terrible season at 2-10
11th game - UCLA, USC wins 47-22 in their annual rivalry game....UCLA finishes at 6-7 with a bowl loss to Fresno St
12th game - Oregon St - USC wins 52-28, Oregon St finishes at 8-5 with a bowl win over New Mexico....several of you have pointed out that OSU passed for 450+ yards in this game, but if you look at the game itself, you'll see the story - OSU ran 33 times for 56 yards...and threw 60 passes! They had the ball a ton because USC scored so quickly when they had the ball..sorry the 2nd and 3rd string guys didn't keep OSU's first team offense down the whole game...
13th game - Rose bowl win over Michigan, 28-14...not really ever a close game against a very strong Michigan team.

So, you have 7 games against bowl teams. Wins over ND and Wash - talented teams having bad years (ok, ND has no QB, but still a ton of HS all-americans)...lets look at LSU, I think you will be somewhat surprised...

1st game - Louisiana Monroe, LSU wins 49-7....LM finishes 1-11
2nd game - at Arizona - remember them from USC's schedule? LSU wins 59-13..Arizona finishes 2-10
3rd game - Western Illinois - LSU wins 35-7..W.Illinois finishes 9-4...in DIVISION 1-AA
4th game - Georgia - LSU wins 17 -10..Georgia finishes 11-3, with 2 of those losses to LSU
5th game - at Miss St - LSU wins 41-6...Miss St finishes 2-10
6th game - Florida, LSU loses at home, 19-7...Fla finishes with a loss to Iowa, at 8-5
7th game - at South Carolina, LSU wins 33-7...SC finishes 5-7
8th game - Louisiana Tech - LSU wins 49-10
9th game - at Alabama - LSU wins 27-3...Alabama finishes 4-9
10th game - at Mississippi - LSU wins 17-13....Ole Miss finishes 10-3 with a bowl win over Oklahoma St
11th game - Arkansas, LSU wins 55-24...Arkansas finishes 9-4 with bowl win over Missouri
12th game - SEC championship, LSU beats Georgia again, 34-13
13th game - LSU beats Oklahoma 21-14 in the Sugar Bowl...Ok finishes 12-2

Ok, so both teams played and clobbered Arizona, so lets cross them out of the comparison..

BYU is the worst team left that USC played...and I would say BYU is significantly better than L.Tech, W.Illinois, and L.Monroe
Lets take that a bit further - the 3 worst teams USC played were Stanford, BYU, and Arizona St...all are better than LSU's worst three, the trio mentioned in the previous sentence - so USC's 'easy' games were significantly tougher than LSU's...

lets look at what is left now....Miss St, at 2-10, is still better than the previous 3 worst teams LSU played, so they compare to USC's UCLA game - again, UCLA is significantly better than Miss St.

Next up would be Alabama and S.Carolina, at 4-9 and 5-7...compare these two games to USC's ND and Wash games - again, I'll say USC's foes in this tier were much better teams..

So that leaves us with Florida, Ark, Ole Miss, Georgia 2x, and Oklahoma....the tide turns a bit here in LSU's favor....but not entirely...I'll say Florida is better than Cal, but would probably be a decent game.....Auburn beat Arkansas......Ole Miss is better than Oregon St......Georgia, for 2 games, takes up 2 USC games - Georgia is way better than Hawaii, but I think Wash St.-Georgia would be a nice game....and despite the final rankings, I'm going to say that Michigan would also beat up Oklahoma - Michigan is certainly better than K.St, and K.St physically beat up the Sooners.....

So really, when you look at their entire schedules, I don't see how you can say LSU's schedule was any better, or even as good as, USC's...their 'easy' games were very, very easy..much easier than anyone USC played...and their mid-level games were similarly against lesser foes than USC's were - to be fair, teams on both of their schedules had off years - Alabama, ND, Washington, and LSU didn't get to beat up on Vandy this year...playing Georgia twice is kind of an oddity too, but I'll stand by my statement that Wash St is at least comparable to one of those games..Georgia was much better last year, though still a solid team this year.

That is how I see it - I have no problem with the two teams sharing the title given the current system - I think it would be criminal for one team to be named the champs over the other without them playing each other. Think of the excitement generated by a USC-LSU game at a neutral site - the Silverdome for example.

Just for the record, I'm a former buckeye, so no bias towards either team here, just trying to look at this objectively.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: fisher

Two subpar? HAHAhA OU was averaging over 45 a game. Smoke crack much? And you glazed right over who USC played didn't you? Just admit it, USC didn't play half the schedule LSU did. Now, go finish that 20 rock.
I think maybe you should be the one laying down the crack pipe. I watched two bowl games, the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl. Apparently you missed them because you can't seem to argue anything about them.

i watched both games. i saw usc beat a team that georgia could have easily handled, much less anyone else in the top 10. that definately makes them number 1, what are we all thinking?

i'm gonna see if i can convince vandy to go pac10, then THEY could be co-national champs next season! and we could strengthen our schedule even more than it already is. if you don't play SEC, take your weak schedule somewhere else. how can you play one ranked team all season and call yourself anything but beating up on the handicapped?

Puhleaze...Georgia BARELY squeaked out an OT win against a team Michigan decimated 31-3. Don't think for a second that Georgia or any SEC for that matter would pose a viable threat to USC. Or Michigan.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
One thing that bugs me is both USC and LSU got to play these Championship games at home.

I'd like to see USC play Michigan at home in January !:cool:

Agreed. Michigan is unbeatable at home.

jerkdiggler

Jul 16, 2002
ya, take away USC's passing game by means of snow and Michigan has a chance. But if its not snowing haling or a tornado, USC destroys Michigan time and time again.

jerkdiggler

Jul 16, 2002
OH and if you think LSU is a better than USC team by merely watching both teams play, you're nuts. I've never seen a team with more balance and offensive weapons than USC. 3 great RB's and NFL caliber receivers and this years best QB. If you take away one of those weapons, you get burned by the other. A defensive coordinators nightmare. The best defense against USC would be turnovers and a good offense. Basically, you gotta have a potent offense and some great luck (aka, missed field goals / overtime victory).

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jerkdiggler
ya, take away USC's passing game by means of snow and Michigan has a chance. But if its not snowing haling or a tornado, USC destroys Michigan time and time again.

Michigan's power is not just in defense, it is in the offense's ability to burn clock and dominating Time of Possession. Even in the loss, Michigan won the TOP battle. Had a couple of big breaks not gone USC's way (Edwards' dropped ball that would have been a sure TD on first drive, ball bouncing off his foot into USC's hands on another drive) it would have been a VERY different ball game.

jerkdiggler

Jul 16, 2002
its not hard to win the time of possession battle when the other team takes 1 minute to score. Who cares about TOP when you can't get the lead. If Navarre and Edwards didnt suck they wouldnt have been kicking and dropping balls, 9 out of 10 times, USC wins that game.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
NeoV-

I agree with most of your analysis, except for Michigan and Kansas State. I think both of those teams are very inconsistent, so it's really hard to compare them to each other or to Oklahoma.

So I think LSU beating Oklahoma was a much better test than USC beating Michigan. But I also agree with you that doesn't mean LSU is better than USC, I think that's impossible to say.

I would pick LSU if I was gambling on the game, because I think defense is the most important thing, but USC is more balanced so it would be an interesting game for sure.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jerkdiggler
its not hard to win the time of possession battle when the other team takes 1 minute to score. Who cares about TOP when you can't get the lead. If Navarre and Edwards didnt suck they wouldnt have been kicking and dropping balls, 9 out of 10 times, USC wins that game.

USC played a perfect game, and there is no denying they played a home game. The difference last week was who made the timely plays, and USC happened to make them while Michigan did not. Make the game at Michigan, and a lot changes. If you have watched Michigan all year you would know they did not play anything close to their A-game. That's what comes from 6 weeks of dead time and a game on the west coast. USC may win 9/10 in Pasadena or at the Coliseum but Michigan will win 9/10 at the Big House.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Michigan doesn't win 9/10 against USC anywhere...come on guys...9 sacks is a total physical mis-match..that isn't a fluke...that is an O-line, that, while very effective for the most part in the running game, clearly has issues against speed pash rushes, and USC's D line is about as fast as you are going to see in NCAA football...teams with offenses less powerful than Michigan's were able to score some points against USC, but they clearly had better pass-protecting lines than Michigan has...USC had 6 weeks of dead time too...and Michigan, while on the road, had 15,000+ fans there, so it wasn't all boos for them....