*OFFICIAL*: McCain, Obama, Clinton inconsequential incidents thread

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
From now on this is the ONE AND ONLY place to put all media-publicized yet absolutely inconsequential incidents. I've come to realization that in order to maintain a democratic discourse in this election, all this media nonsense needs to be put in one freaking thread.

That is, any and ALL news that are in no way related to POLICY belong to this thread and this thread only.

If we don't do this, we'll all fall for Karl Rove-esque ploys to debate flip flopping, sentances or any other bulshit rather than the issues on hand. This country is stuck in huge money/lives wasting operation in middle east, the economy is slowing down, dollar is sinking and there is still no fix for social security... for fuck's sake, focus on the stuff that matters.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I wish the mods would go a step further and make this a sticky and enforce it. . . I won't name names but I'm sure everyone knows the select few individuals who flood this place with a bunch of bullshit threads with loaded questions that they throw up and let rot and don't even bother defending. It comes from all sides.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
sounds good to me! :) At least till the stupid elections are over!!!!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
So someone's views on gun and religion no longer have anything to do with policy?

How about the tendency of a candidate to lie/make up stories on a constant basis?

As for the finger thing... perhaps he can pause during his first state of the union speech and let all the Republicans in congress know what he thinks of them.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Obama and Hillary agree on almost everything so there is no reason to " focus on the stuff that matters. "

Luckily once they get down throwing mud it will be Obama v. McCain and they have very different points of view about how to run the country. Then we might see some policy type questions.

But I still think a lot of the 'inconsequential' stuff you talk about goes to the character of these people.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
So someone's views on gun and religion no longer have anything to do with policy?

How about the tendency of a candidate to lie/make up stories on a constant basis?

As for the finger thing... perhaps he can pause during his first state of the union speech and let all the Republicans in congress know what he thinks of them.

It is all bullshit... exactly what political strategists think will stick in an average 75 point IQ head. Instead of having a difficult debate arguing on the points of your policy agenda you just spend the budget on pushing the bullshit talking point on and on and on. It's exactly what happened with the flip flopper thing in 2004; nothing but an insult to our collective intelligence.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

This isn't about a particular candidate (you're insinuating Obama). All of them get the same treatment by a select few idiots here who post the latest gossip about a candidate, in a new thread, followed by a loaded question. These people are spammers, often their name appears more than once on the thread listings with these useless topics.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Perhaps they should create a new forum...

Politics and News That Reflect Positively On Obama
or
P&N with a Far Left Spin

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang

This isn't about a particular candidate (you're insinuating Obama). All of them get the same treatment by a select few idiots here who post the latest gossip about a candidate, in a new thread, followed by a loaded question. These people are spammers, often their name appears more than once on the thread listings with these useless topics.
All this "gossip" you talk about is all over the news.

When people start to post stuff from blogs then you may have a point. But as long as the stories are based on credible sources then I see nothing wrong with posting about them. That is why these forums exist, to exchange ideas and opinions.

If you don't like the petty little threads then don't post in them. I ignore at least a quarter of the threads on here because I don't care about the topics or have nothing to add to them.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Wow, so someone's honesty and their views on guns and religion are now "inconsequential"?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JD50
Wow, so someone's honesty and their views on guns and religion are now "inconsequential"?

I think the point is that the issues aren't presented as honest debates on the issues, it's dirty pool with a thin veneer of political discussion. I think ALL issues should be up for debate, but "debate" is not people presenting 30 second attack ads in forum post form.

Edit: But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have those type of threads in P&N. This is supposed to be a forum for open political discussion, as long as no particular topic is beaten to death and as long as people want to discuss it...more power to them.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: halik
for fuck's sake, focus on the stuff that matters.
Nice try. But in case you haven't resigned yourself to the fact, it's the stupid, little stuff that gets the focus. This finger thing is an excellent example. Another is that Al Gore invented the internet. I wonder if these would go away if they were just ignored - like ignoring a spoiled child's whining.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think it's a fine line.

yeah, hamas endorsing Obama, Obama scratching his face, Hillary taking a shot in a bar... pretty much all pointless BS.

did Obama look the other way to aid his rise in the Chicago black political scene, does he understand the small towns that make up the core of this country, how much is McCain willing to give up his principles to pander, etc... pretty much valid questions.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: JD50

only when it has to do with their candidate.

for instance, an obama supporter sees the "bitter/gun" comment as inconsequential. however, McCain's comment about 100 years in iraq apparently deserves to be plastered across billboards and shouted from rooftops. and vice versa

that said, what profjohn says is true, there's no need for obama and hillary to "address issues", as they both are carbon copies of each other when it comes to policies. the issues have been beaten to death, which means all that's left is to focus on their differences, and the only seemingly different qualities in those two are charachter differences

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RY62

or
P&N with a Far Left Spin

If we were so biased here, we wouldn't have been so patient with YOU spamming this forum with your threads one after the other. This very thread here is probably referring to you, and if it's not, it should be.

But rest assured, my patience is running out, and it's going to slow down soon.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: halik
for fuck's sake, focus on the stuff that matters.

Speaking of guns and religion, since when do the qualities of America that make her stand out above Europe not matter?

Our people are more assertive and self reliant and less dependant on the governing class to control them than places like Europe. I do not have the gift to explain it nearly so eloquently as Steyn does in his recent column, but Obama's remarks show his ideology is directly opposed to our strengths as a nation.

We are very ill these days, but it?s due to our renewed faith in government which Obama?s ideology will no doubt foster and make worse. When our corruption is in Washington DC you don?t pour fuel on the fire to make it bigger. Yet that is the only solution anyone obtains office with.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

or
P&N with a Far Left Spin

If we were so biased here, we wouldn't have been so patient with YOU spamming this forum with your threads one after the other. This very thread here is probably referring to you, and if it's not, it should be.

I haven't looked to see for sure but I'd guess that I've started less than a dozen threads since becoming a member, 3 years ago. I try to make sure that every thread I start this forum is in coverage by news sources. Please be more specific with where I'm crossing the lines.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Look at the page of threads in P&N, and then look at your profile and click "view posts".

After seeing that, it left with me with a strong impression that you are doing nothing here but posting anti-Obama comments. So when you posted your comments, which I read as saying that everyone here is biased toward Obama, I reacted with my post above.

I may have been premature. That's why I didn't act, I simply commented. If it turns out I'm wrong, and you contribute more here than inserting anti-Obama statements in every post, then my apologies and you have nothing to worry about.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

or
P&N with a Far Left Spin

I haven't looked to see for sure but I'd guess that I've started less than a dozen threads since becoming a member, 3 years ago. I try to make sure that every thread I start this forum is in coverage by news sources. Please be more specific with where I'm crossing the lines.

Look at the page of threads in P&N, and then look at your profile and click "view posts".

After seeing that, it left with me with a strong impression that you are doing nothing here but posting anti-Obama comments. So when you posted your comments, which I read as saying that everyone here is biased toward Obama, I reacted with my post above.

I may have been premature. That's why I didn't act, I simply commented. If it turns out I'm wrong, and you contribute more here than inserting anti-Obama statements in every post, then my apologies and you have nothing to worry about.

Besides he's in Alabama, it's not about to vote Democrat anytime soon.

Really nothing to worry about.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

or
P&N with a Far Left Spin

Besides he's in Alabama, it's not about to vote Democrat anytime soon.

Really nothing to worry about.

Wasn't that the same reasoning that Mrs. Clinton came under fire for? Do you now agree that the Red states, where Obama has done well, don't matter?

RY62

Mar 13, 2005

I don't deny that I am extremely anti-Obama and the majority of my posts probably reflect that. I won't change my opinion of Obama but I will try to make sure that any anti-Obama comments I make are relevant to the topic at hand.

Like most red state southern Democrats, I often feel like my voice is not heard and I'm being left out of the election process. This forum, and others like it, gives me some little opportunity to join in and raise my voice. With the far-left in control of the democrat nominating process and my red state electoral vote bound to the republican candidate, a centrist, red state democrat has to scream loudly to be heard. ;)

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
Pseronally I feel extremely offended that these inconsequential distractions are prevalent in the MSM. It irritates me in the way that MTV reality shows get under my skin. I feel stupider after having to hear such drivel on the news.

I support Obama but Obama is not perfect. His platform has certain issues that a lot of Americans may not agree with like his spending plans or his exit from Iraq. Rather than focus on these relevant issues I'm forced to hear about stupid flag pins and a purported birdie. It makes me so angry how stupid the MSM thinks we are.