**OFFICIAL** Intel Yonah Info Thread

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
Will Yonah be backwords compatible with the 915 chipset for the Pentium Ms. I'm guessing not, but it never hurts to try.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: roguerower
Will Yonah be backwords compatible with the 915 chipset for the Pentium Ms. I'm guessing not, but it never hurts to try.
Nah, Intel is releasing a whole new chipset for Yonah; just like w/the desktop chips :(

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Hmm, it seems like they were only able to overclock an early sample to 1.46ghz? I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw lower max clock speeds for Yonah than we did for Dothan considering it's a more complicated design.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Actually quite the opposite: Yonah is expected to reach into the 2.5GHz range.

It is manufactured on a 65nm process, meaning smaller transistors, less heat, and thus higher clock speeds. Its design won't be too much more advanced than the current Dothan. It will basically be two HIGHLY optimized and updated Dothans stuck together, IIRC with 1MB L2 Cache each.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Actually quite the opposite: Yonah is expected to reach into the 2.5GHz range.

It is manufactured on a 65nm process, meaning smaller transistors, less heat, and thus higher clock speeds. Its design won't be too much more advanced than the current Dothan. It will basically be two HIGHLY optimized and updated Dothans stuck together, IIRC with 1MB L2 Cache each.

I was referring to the overclocked speeds considering that there is no desktop Dothan, current Dothans seem to be reasonably reaching 2.4/2.5ghz with the occasional one going beyond that. Oh well, I can very well be wrong, I was just expecting higher mhz per mhz performance but lower max mhz.