*** Official Intel Pentium 4 EE and Athlon 64 Thread ***

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
Oh man I'm pumped! I'm assuming this is going to be a Socket 478 chip correct?

Now I need to find me a new mobo.

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: BroadbandGamer
Oh man I'm pumped! I'm assuming this is going to be a Socket 478 chip correct? Now I need to find me a new mobo.

I think it will work with the 875/865 chipset series mobo

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
oh I not sure if is going to work with 845EP chipset lets hope they will:beer:

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Boxed versions due out next year? That was always one a, IMO, that you could buy retail and have a nice cooler along with the awesome warranty. Guess you'll have to wait till next year for that...but should still be an awesome chip. Now if only this part and the AMD 64 can drop down to 200$ a piece ;)

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Its L3 which will add maybe 5% performance increase in a certain situations. I think this move by Intel signifies that they have the low down that AMD is about to move back in front performance wise.

Knightcomm

Nov 6, 2002
Well, if you remember, you hit a limit where Cache has a big effect. Remember when the Barton came out with 512KB?? The scores were not that much better than the TBred 256KB. Right now, I do not care how much cache P4s have, they cannot compete with how the Opteron deals with the memory directly. If 2x3GHz Xeons can barely keep up with 2x1.8GHz Opterons, what will they come up with to combat the 3GHz opterons?

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
The scores were not that much better than the TBred 256KB.
That isn't a valid comparison. Different architectures. The correct comparison should have been from the Willamette to the Northwood, 256KB L2 cache to 512KB L2 cache. The Pentium 4 went from being a rubbish processor extremely competitive.

You also seem to assume that Intel will stand still while they wait for AMD to ramp the clock speed for the Opteron to 3GHz. By the time that happens, the 3GHz Opteron might be competing with a 5GHz Prescott or Tejas.

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
You also seem to assume that Intel will stand still while they wait for AMD to ramp the clock speed for the Opteron to 3GHz. By the time that happens, the 3GHz Opteron might be competing with a 5GHz Prescott or Tejas.

Glad you said that.......... from all the posts lately, it seems everyone thinks nothing will be able to compete with the "allmighty 64"....
rolleye.gif
I've even seen posts about Intel being worried that AMD will take over, or are jealous....... I don't understand why they think Intel won't have a competitive; if not better chip coming.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I can see 2 reasons why Intel would give so much cache to the P4.

1.) They know the performance of the Athlon 64 will decisively beat a normal P4 and the extra cache will somewhat even things up

2.) They know the performance of the Athlon 64 will give top end P4's more than a good run and the extra cache will give them back the lead

Something tells me it's closer to reason #1 than #2...

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

1.) They know the performance of the Athlon 64 will decisively beat a normal P4 and the extra cache will somewhat even things up

2.) They know the performance of the Athlon 64 will give top end P4's more than a good run and the extra cache will give them back the lead

What really constitutes a "normal" P4....wouldn't it be safe to assume that since Intel has already decided to bump the cache that these are now considered "normal" P4s?? I am not a psychic but I agree with a few of the others, to think that intel will sit idly by and let AMD gain a performance lead is pretty silly....only time will tell what the future holds.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: classy
Its L3 which will add maybe 5% performance increase in a certain situations. I think this move by Intel signifies that they have the low down that AMD is about to move back in front performance wise.

I concur, Intel is running scared and this a premptive move to have a marketing angle to exploit, since they don't have the silicon muscle.

sirfergy

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
Hah, I love processor wars. Someone will always have something better, it's all about timing. When the Althon first came out, it was better than the P3. Intel came out with the Coppermine and evened the score. There is a reason why there are two big companies in the processor market.

KenAF

Jan 6, 2002
The 2.8GHz Xeon MP with 2Mb L3 cache and 400MHz FSB already beats the P4 3.2GHz in a lot of benchmarks, so the P4 3.2GHz with 2Mb L3 and 800MHz FSB should be a very competitive part.

For those who doubt that the extra cache will make a difference with the P4, check out some of the benchmarks on GamePC right here and here.

In these benchmarks, a Xeon 3.0 with 1Mb L3 cache and 533MHz FSB outperforms a standard Xeon 3.0 by 21% in Photoshop, 13% in 3D Studio Max, 9% in Maya, and 9% in Sciencemark Primordia. Of course, the upcoming P4 Extreme Edition will have twice as much L3 cache and a faster 800MHz bus to better take advantage of that cache.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

What really constitutes a "normal" P4....wouldn't it be safe to assume that since Intel has already decided to bump the cache that these are now considered "normal" P4s?? I am not a psychic but I agree with a few of the others, to think that intel will sit idly by and let AMD gain a performance lead is pretty silly....only time will tell what the future holds.

Um, Prescot? Isn't that Intel's solution to the Athlon 64? Prescot which = .09 micron fab and 1MB of L2 cache? Of which the P4 Extreme Edition is still 512KB of L2?

The only difference between the Extreme Edition 3.2GHz P4 and teh "Normal" 3.2GHz P4 is the EXTRA 2MB of L3 cache, not as fast as L2 but probably worth it to reduce memory latency. When I say "normal P4" I'm meaning the ones that don't have 2MB of L2 cache. I say this because I assume Intel has stopped the P4 at 3.2GHz (of which I believe the Prescot will get a new name, P5 or PV or whatever) and I believe all they did was add 2MB of L3 cache to their flagship P4 chip, making it their "Extreme Edition" P4. "Extreme Edition", why in the hell call it "Extreme Edition" if all the new "editions" of the P4 are going to have the same 2MB of L3 cache. If you ask me the Extreme Edition P4 is going to be the last P4, from 1.3GHz to 3.2GHz and quite a bit of cache later, I'd say the P4 is pretty much done, time for P5 against the Athlon 64. Intel is just "rushing" this last bad boy P4 because Prescot apparently won't be ready/cheap enough to compete with the Athlon 64...

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
i personally think its a great idea for intel to milk all it can from the northwood.

hopefully prescot will be delayed even further and intel will make lower ghz/priced 2mb northwoods too.

a complete 2mb cache northwood lineup (2.4g - 3.2g) would be better in many ways.
economicly it wouldnt be too bad either ~ concidering we get to stay on our current platforms.

this could get very interesting..... :D

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Oh and the thread title is a bit off. Big blow to A64? Competitive with, yes. Big blow? I don't think so.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: pspada
^. And the 64-bit AMD chips will still eat it for lunch.

You really are a lame fanboy!!! You are like that child that doesn't have a witty comeback or anything intelligent to add so he says " I know you are but what am I" or "you suck", and a handful of others....You ppl make me laugh!!!!

Since the A64 failed to capture most of the non gaming apps even if they received 5-10% gain in those apps it only strengthens their lead.....Gaming may even be more from what I am seeing so that helps to cut into the large leads of the A64 and make it possibly neglible, nad trust me that could be sad for AMD's latest and greatest to get neutered so fast and relegated to just a co-leader....

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Oh and the thread title is a bit off. Big blow to A64? Competitive with, yes. Big blow? I don't think so.

I agree....This is just to soften the A64 inevitable good showing at release...It some areas leads will increase and in others INtel can make great strides against A64's gaming leads.....

littlebitstrouds

Feb 17, 2003
How about non of use are experts or have either of these chipsets so why do we get so personally offended. NONE OF US have actually knowledge on this yet so how can you even argue? Let's keep the ideas friendly shall we?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Duvie
Originally posted by: pspada
^. And the 64-bit AMD chips will still eat it for lunch.

You really are a lame fanboy!!! You are like that child that doesn't have a witty comeback or anything intelligent to add so he says " I know you are but what am I" or "you suck", and a handful of others....You ppl make me laugh!!!!

Since the A64 failed to capture most of the non gaming apps even if they received 5-10% gain in those apps it only strengthens their lead.....Gaming may even be more from what I am seeing so that helps to cut into the large leads of the A64 and make it possibly neglible, nad trust me that could be sad for AMD's latest and greatest to get neutered so fast and relegated to just a co-leader....

Do me a favour. At "$740 in 1,000 unit quantities" and with singlew unit prices higher, I'd like to see you pop one in your rig any time soon.

So this leaves the P4EE 'potentially' 'competitive' with the initial rollout of A64.

I say stand well back, light the blue touch paper and watch the fireworks. It'll be a good show.