**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
alm4rr:

Everyone seems to want to diss this game at every opportunity.

That story guide seems highly conjectural, but it makes sense, and is the best we have. It's so simple it somehow takes away from the mystique of the Half Life story.

And he states that the skinny guys in the Citadel are 'actual' Combine citizens: they seem to be in a lot of pain, and seem to be being watched over extremely carefully by the CP soldiers for that to be true.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: alm4rr
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: alm4rr
I looked this game up on Amazon, and it only has a user rating of 3.5 stars

ROFL. Ok buddy. :thumbsup:

go look for yourself

link

3.5 stars out of 281 reviews

Yeah, those X-box and PS2 kiddies on Amazon didn't like HL2. It didn't run well on their consoles. :roll:

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
I didn't think the game was all that great either. They are a few people like me. I just wasn't that good. I would give it a 7.8 or 3/5 or C+. Choose your poison. Everytime I think about it the game seems worse and worse.

HalosPuma

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
For those of you that completed the game rather quickly, what difficulty were you playing at? If a game has an in-game save feature vs. checkpoints (like GTA:VC), I like to play it at the hardest level. Nothing drives me nuts than having to replay some sequence over and over because I got killed by the very last enemy. HL2 at the hardest level is pretty fun. It takes several rounds (or more) to kill some of the bad guys and they hide then sneak around to attack you. Are there more bad guys (who need to be shot more times) playing at the hardest level?

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
I just finished it.

After playing through it, I am blown away by nearly every aspect of the game. The tidy and slick presentation, exciting gameplay, the stunning visuals, excellent audio, intriguing story, interesting characters, and more.

It took me about six days to finish, playing, on average, a few hours a day. I don't feel it was too short.

I also don't feel the final levels and ending were anti-climactic. The ending is fitting and similar to that of the first game.

If I have one complaint it would be the voice acting. While the primary actors did a great job, there was one voice for every disposable NPC. For a game with such a huge budget they could have forked out a few extra bucks to hire one or two more actors to voice five or six different lines.

In the end, I would agree and say this is the best PC game ever created, although just barely ahead of its predecessor.

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Pocatello
Originally posted by: Algere
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
for some reason half life2 gives me headaches while playing. no other FPS game does that for some reason. the frame rate is high (50fps+ on a radeon x800) with a 16ms response time LCD.

i suppose its a good thing because it prevents addiction and over playing.

we need to setup a formal way to help with the puzzles. i keep getting stuck at different places.

I find the game making me queasy too, reading the HL2 steam forum lots of other people are getting headaches or feeling sick also.
Same here

Actually puked into the toilet cause of this game, which was a first.

It thought I was the only one! I had a real uncomfortable time driving the hovercraft. Maybe all the spinning and fast moving craft is the cause

im in the same boat (ugh pun)! I definitely felt motion sick after driving that freaking boat all over the place. Gave me headaches, had to lay down. My desktop is here in my dorm though, and thankfully I went home for the week for thanksgiving so that pried me away from the game for a while :)

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
The verdict is in. Valve wins against Vivendi:

Valve today announced the U.S. Federal District Court in Seattle, WA granted its motion for summary judgment on the matters of Cyber Café Rights and Contractual Limitation of Liability in its copyright infringement suit with Sierra/Vivendi Universal Games.

Source

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow

Valve today announced the U.S. Federal District Court in Seattle, WA granted its motion for summary judgment on the matters of Cyber Café Rights and Contractual Limitation of Liability in its copyright infringement suit with Sierra/Vivendi Universal Games.

Source
So what does it mean for us?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Source

When you break it down from the legalese, the court ruled that Half Life 2 had a good, satisfying ending, and those who don't like it just don't 'get it.'

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
I just beat the game...and let me tell ya how dissapointing the ending was! WTF was that!? Overall the game was awesome...but the ending just sucked!

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: MCrusty
I just beat the game...and let me tell ya how dissapointing the ending was! WTF was that!? Overall the game was awesome...but the ending just sucked!

Agreed by most... now we have to wait another 5+ years for yet ANOTHER Half-Life... :|

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor

Source

When you break it down from the legalese, the court ruled that Half Life 2 had a good, satisfying ending, and those who don't like it just don't 'get it.'
Mmmmkay, thanks for the vague response. :confused:

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: chrisbtx

Agreed by most... now we have to wait another 5+ years for yet ANOTHER Half-Life... :|
I doubt it'll be 5+ years unless HL3 is built upon a new engine again.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Unless it's part of a bigger picture (e.g. Matrix trilogy)

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Oh yeah..forgot to post it in this thread...bruteservers.com:27019 password it atsw