**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: canadianpsycho
Jesus, it was way too short. And anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, but there was no real sense of urgency. The final chapter was a bit of a joke. No challenge whatsoever.

I think the ending left a real bitter taste in my mouth.

It's easily longer than most recent FPS's.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: LordNoob
Originally posted by: rwmega
Originally posted by: HostVisions
Originally posted by: rwmega
Help! I'm stuck in the Jail house too many soldiers coming at me and I can't hold em off. What can I do?

can you be a little more vague please?

Sorry I didn't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't reached Nova Prospekt yet.

Spoiler...

I am not sure which part you are referring to but the most important thing is good placement of the turrets. If it is in the control room area, set them up at each side door facing the stairs. If it is later on in the room between two hallways, set them up as close to the wall as possible facing each doorway and hide in the turret storage closet. Be careful that manhacks don't knock down your turrets in both situations.

Edit: Try to defend as small an area as possible so you can pick up the turrets as they are knocked over- i.e. in the control room only defend the small area of the control room itself.

Speaking of the turrets, how exactly do you pick them up correcty? I was able to pick them up, but I could never re-set them up, so I just ignored them and relied on my shotgun.

I don't see how that's possible. To beat that area without the turrets. I must have tried 15 times to beat it WITH the turrets. Eventually I discovered the best idea was the set the turrets up just in front of where you get them. Face them opposite one another, then hide in the turret storage cabinet. The turrets kill anyone trying to come in, and if they get knocked over, you can pick them back up without leaving your hiding hole.

I know what you mean. I probably tried about five to ten times before holing myself in a tiny side room and holding the sentry gun up with the grav gun. That worked, and I had a fair amount of health afterwards, too.

LordNoob

Nov 16, 2003
Does anyone know what the objective differences are between medium and hard? Are the enemies tougher to kill, guns less effective? Is AI improved? Are their more enemies in hard? Do enemies do more damage or are they more accurate? Some or all of the above?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I don't see how that's possible. To beat that area without the turrets. I must have tried 15 times to beat it WITH the turrets. Eventually I discovered the best idea was the set the turrets up just in front of where you get them. Face them opposite one another, then hide in the turret storage cabinet. The turrets kill anyone trying to come in, and if they get knocked over, you can pick them back up without leaving your hiding hole.

It took forever, and I died many many many times. But, I just sat in the storage cabinet and shot everything that came by, and it worked.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113

It took forever, and I died many many many times. But, I just sat in the storage cabinet and shot everything that came by, and it worked.

I tried that approach, but invariably one of those fucking[/b] manhacks would come whizzing in there, I'd try to shoot it, then look back at the doorway and there are 4 soldiers standing there, already unzipping their pants for what's to come. (No pun intended.) The manhacks also knock over your turrets, and your turrents don't target them, I don't think.

Dec 27, 2001
I didn't read every post...sorry if this has been answered.

With the Steam version, we don't need a CD to play, but if we bought the retail game we need the CD to run the game?

jpthomas

Jul 16, 2004
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I didn't read every post...sorry if this has been answered.

With the Steam version, we don't need a CD to play, but if we bought the retail game we need the CD to run the game?

I bought retail and need the cd to play.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm stuck at the level where my buggy meets the chopper creature, just about after getting the rocket launcher.. jumping over the ramp obviously didn't work.. what am I missing? :confused:

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: screw3d
I'm stuck at the level where my buggy meets the chopper creature, just about after getting the rocket launcher.. jumping over the ramp obviously didn't work.. what am I missing? :confused:

Screenshot plz.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow

Screenshot plz.

Keep driving till you get to a roadblock of wrecked cars. There is lots of rocket launcher ammo here. You can crouch behind cars to be protected, and have lots of ammo to take out the helicopter thing.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I sent an email to Gabe thanking him for the game, and a link to my review thread. His reply:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 4:01 PM
To: Mark DeSanto
Subject: I know this is just one voice....but.....

Nice write-up, Mark. Thanks for the kind email.

Gabe

Yay! :D

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
Originally posted by: warcrow

Screenshot plz.

Keep driving till you get to a roadblock of wrecked cars. There is lots of rocket launcher ammo here. You can crouch behind cars to be protected, and have lots of ammo to take out the helicopter thing.

Or just keep driving until you hit the tunnel, and you won't have to take out the helicopter.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
here

After my buggy busts out of this window, I'll reach a broken bridge, and then a helo will come up and shoot my ass. I can't jump across the ramp to the other side of the bridge and I have no idea where to go after this :frown: I have tried almost everything except the solution of course :/

This is on Highway 17 BTW.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
You can jump across. I forget if I had to on this jump or not, but remember you can hold down CTRL to make your car go faster, and you definatly CAN jump it.

MetalMusicMan

Sep 12, 2004
Wow, this game is amazing. I just picked up the Collector's Edition, and it's totally sweet. I do have a bit of a delema, though...

I get this error every 20 minutes or so when I play. Can anyone suggest a fix?

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
BFG GeForce 6800Ultra
1GB Corsair XMS Pro XL 2-2-2-10
320GB (160x2) Raid 0 Array
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

hl2glitch.JPG

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: MetalMusicMan
Wow, this game is amazing. I just picked up the Collector's Edition, and it's totally sweet. I do have a bit of a delema, though...

I get this error every 20 minutes or so when I play. Can anyone suggest a fix?

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
BFG GeForce 6800Ultra
1GB Corsair XMS Pro XL 2-2-2-10
320GB (160x2) Raid 0 Array
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

hl2glitch.JPG

I get that message too. There have been some fixes posted on the Steam forums, but I do not know if they work or not.

canadianpsycho

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
Originally posted by: canadianpsycho
Jesus, it was way too short. And anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, but there was no real sense of urgency. The final chapter was a bit of a joke. No challenge whatsoever.

I think the ending left a real bitter taste in my mouth.

It's easily longer than most recent FPS's.

Approximately 20 hours of gameplay is not what I consider longer then most FPS.

Maybe I just fell for the hype a little too much. A lot of the game I liked. However, I don't really think its as groundbreaking or as neat as the original.

The plot "twist" was boring. The last level felt like it was some sort of afterthought. No challenge to it.

Some scenes really blew me away. For exaple that ride in the Citadel. That was truly amazing.

I think all this anticipation really screwed me over.

Maybe its the whole 1984 thing being done to death, but HL 1 had a much better storyline then 2 imho.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
I'm just the opposite. To me, HL1 was run of the mill. It was nothing special. Half Life 2, on the other hand, is cooler than the other side of the pillow in my mind. I don't think the game was especially long, but I think it was long enough to feel satisfied, and more importantly, it felt epic. It felt real. You were put in place by the G-man. To do what, you knew not, but in the end, you stopped the combine, and even if that meant the sacrifice of everyone who helped you along the way, it was for the greater good in the end.

Whether you knew it or not, that was why you were there. G-man knew it. Everyone else knew it. You didn't, but you succeeded, because for some reason, Gordon has a tendency to do that. Which, after all, is why you were...recruited by the G-man in the first place. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. It is what Gordon does, be that right man, and I have no doubt that will continue to be the trend in his future tasks.

I would also like to comment on the lack of boss battles and give that my praise. Nothing pisses me off in first person shooters like stupid bosses that do nothing but make me familiarize myself with the loading screen. Half Life 2 eschews boss battles in face of challenging set pieces, like the two gunships you must face to enter Nova Prospekt, or the three striders you must take down in the courtyard. It is for the better. These conflicts feel more real than boss battles - in real life, there are conflicts, but there are no boss battles. It is the same in Half Life 2 - you are part of a struggle, not a mano a mano duelist. I hope other developers see how well this works and follow this trend. The day boss battles die will be a good day.

I think the ending worked because of this. You had already won, battering your way to heart of the combine citadel. It was simply a rubber stamp to destroy the reactor and Dr. Breen and secure the victory for the same people you fought for. It was the end of the story - what needed to happen after your long, hard slog. It concluded the events that took place in City 17 in the near future, and now, Gordon must move on to his next "assignment".

I have to say, as bittersweet as it is, I really enjoy Half Life's method of storytelling. There is an extent to which the observer should be left wondering, because revealing always ends the wonderment and sense of awe. Stephen King once said: "If the door opens and there's a 10 foot bug standing there, part of you still goes 'whew! at least it's not a 20 foot bug!'"

He has a point. I think the mysteries of what happened between Black Mesa and City 17, who the combine are and what they do, are stories that may or may not be for another time. Regardless, I think we get better results from the conjecture in our minds than if Valve corrected our whimsy and removed elements that made the enemy so vile to us.

Wow. That post ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would be.

Regardless, this is my feeling towards the narratives of the Half Life games. Think of it what you will.

Kaijufan

Aug 23, 2004
Anyone know when bots are going to be unlocked in CS:S? I only connect to the internet at around 28k, so its just easer for me to play with bots then to play online.

Shadocal

Nov 20, 2004
Can someone please help? I'm stuck in HL2 and have been in this area for an hour pulling out my hair.

I'm at what I think is the end of the hoverboat section. There are two large dams and one annoying helicoptor. I have killed everything else in the area. There is a tug boat that you can't go into....

How to get past the 2 dams/helicopter?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Shoot downthe helicopter with the gun on the hover boat, and then climb up the long ladder on the dam to the very left. You should be able to take over from there.