**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Ok guys, explain this to me...

While walking on one of the final dams in the sewers (right before you jump through the huge dam), I was looking through my scope across to the other dam, and I swear I saw G-Man standing there. It was definitely a man in a suit. So, I got on my hoverboat, and cruised over there, but no one was there. Does he just show up every once in a while, or am I going crazy?

BTW, bug bait is freaking awesome.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: warcrow
...yes, he shows up and disappears ;)

Yeah, I've seen him at least 5 times, and I just finished taking over the Nexus. The difference between HL1 and HL2 is that in HL1 he would usually be fairly close when you saw him. You could often get a shot off at him, but he was bulletproof. Everytime I've seen him in HL2 he's been way the hell away.

rwmega

Aug 6, 2004
After all the wait and the crazy hype, this game...

ROCKS!!!![

I'm at work and can't stop thinking about Half Life 2.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
ok i'm running a 1700+ with 512 DDR on a 9600 XT.

how much trouble will i have running this game?

i really wanna know before i go and buy it.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Yeah, I've seen him at least 5 times, and I just finished taking over the Nexus. The difference between HL1 and HL2 is that in HL1 he would usually be fairly close when you saw him. You could often get a shot off at him, but he was bulletproof. Everytime I've seen him in HL2 he's been way the hell away.
Funny, I've never seen him.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: GuybrushThreepwood

You should be fine at 1024x768 or 1280x1024. I have a 9800 Pro and am able to run at 1600x1200 with 2x AA and 2x AF without any problems.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
my OC'd system can't run it with full in game settings at that, I keep it at 800x600 2xAA, 8xAF. And it still dips in fps sometimes.

Athlon XP 256KB L2 running at 2.4GHz
1GBRAM running at 195MHz
9700 Pro running at 395/370

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: GuybrushThreepwood

1900+, 512 PC2100, Ti4400 here.

I run at 1024x768x32, all details on medium except shaders, which are on high. 2xAA.

I get 35 - 45 FPS. Game runs smooth, plays great.

Jul 8, 2004
For those you having problem with frame rate while using AA, the simple solution is: don't use AA. :p The reviews I've seen are saying that you are better off playing at a higher res without AA then playing with AA on a lower res. Unless you are lucky enough to have a high end machine with a $400-500 video card, in which case set everything to the max.

BTW for those you still wondering how well the game plays. I'm playing on an eMachines m6805 laptop with an AMD64 3000+ processor, 512MB memory, a 4200 RPM HD, an ATI mobility 9600 64MB video card and integrated sound on 12x8 no AA and trilinear filtering and this game freaking ROCKS :D It stutters once in awhile, but mainly just after a level finishes loading. I just wish I had a faster HD (and well maybe a newer model too :) ).

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
All you ppl who've played HL1 and are now playing HL2, do you think prior knowledge of the HL universe is necessary for HL2? Should I play through HL1 first before playing HL2? Or does it not matter?

rwmega

Aug 6, 2004
Help! I'm stuck in the Jail house too many soldiers coming at me and I can't hold em off. What can I do?

Jul 8, 2004
You do not have to play HL1 in order to understand what is going on in HL2. The only advantage you might have would be that you know about some of the creatures you will encounter like the head crabs and zombies.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: thelanx
All you ppl who've played HL1 and are now playing HL2, do you think prior knowledge of the HL universe is necessary for HL2? Should I play through HL1 first before playing HL2? Or does it not matter?

Yes, absolutely.

You need the first game for context. Buy and beat it first, before going to HL2.

rwmega

Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: HostVisions
Originally posted by: rwmega
Help! I'm stuck in the Jail house too many soldiers coming at me and I can't hold em off. What can I do?

can you be a little more vague please?

Sorry I didn't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't reached Nova Prospekt yet.

Spoiler...

You have to setup defensive turrets at 4 doors but u only get 3 turrets. I get em all setup and then troops start swarming you almost immediatley.

LordNoob

Nov 16, 2003

Sorry I didn't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't reached Nova Prospekt yet.

Spoiler...

I am not sure which part you are referring to but the most important thing is good placement of the turrets. If it is in the control room area, set them up at each side door facing the stairs. If it is later on in the room between two hallways, set them up as close to the wall as possible facing each doorway and hide in the turret storage closet. Be careful that manhacks don't knock down your turrets in both situations.

Edit: Try to defend as small an area as possible so you can pick up the turrets as they are knocked over- i.e. in the control room only defend the small area of the control room itself.

rwmega

Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: LordNoob

Spoiler...

I am not sure which part you are referring to but the most important thing is good placement of the turrets. If it is in the control room area, set them up at each side door facing the stairs. If it is later on in the room between two hallways, set them up as close to the wall as possible facing each doorway and hide in the turret storage closet. Be careful that manhacks don't knock down your turrets in both situations.

Edit: Try to defend as small an area as possible so you can pick up the turrets as they are knocked over- i.e. in the control room only defend the small area of the control room itself.

That was what I was going to try next. Thanks for your help!

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Ok guys, explain this to me...

While walking on one of the final dams in the sewers (right before you jump through the huge dam), I was looking through my scope across to the other dam, and I swear I saw G-Man standing there. It was definitely a man in a suit. So, I got on my hoverboat, and cruised over there, but no one was there. Does he just show up every once in a while, or am I going crazy?

When I saw him there I flipped out. :) Valve did an excellent job on this game :p

And its gonna take me a while to get through ravenholm. Creeps me out

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

Spoiler...

Speaking of the turrets, how exactly do you pick them up correcty? I was able to pick them up, but I could never re-set them up, so I just ignored them and relied on my shotgun.

LordNoob

Nov 16, 2003
You should just be able to hit the Use key (E) but you have to lift them high into the air for them to go upright again so you can set them back down in place. If you can keep them upright, they take care of all the soldiers for you which makes it a lot easier.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Spoiler...

Speaking of the turrets, how exactly do you pick them up correcty? I was able to pick them up, but I could never re-set them up, so I just ignored them and relied on my shotgun.

I don't see how that's possible. To beat that area without the turrets. I must have tried 15 times to beat it WITH the turrets. Eventually I discovered the best idea was the set the turrets up just in front of where you get them. Face them opposite one another, then hide in the turret storage cabinet. The turrets kill anyone trying to come in, and if they get knocked over, you can pick them back up without leaving your hiding hole.