**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
i have been playing this too log, i had a sex dream involving Alyx last night..............

it went good:D

god i wish i could control my dreams

Heehee.....

theblackbox

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2004
ravenholm is amazing, some of the areas are so dark, and forbidding. i think it out dooms doom 3 with good looking textures and truly scary moments. I think hl2 outdid themselves. Going through the laundremat was harrowing.

I love the cemetary too, when all the zombies are burning and still coming on.

All i can say is... wow.

oh, and i tried it on my intel rig, with the x800pro, and do not have as much stuttering as i do on the amd rig with the 6800gt, looks like it only stutters at autosave now.

But the game otherwise looks great and plays great on both.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
for some reason half life2 gives me headaches while playing. no other FPS game does that for some reason. the frame rate is high (50fps+ on a radeon x800) with a 16ms response time LCD.

i suppose its a good thing because it prevents addiction and over playing.

we need to setup a formal way to help with the puzzles. i keep getting stuck at different places.

GZDynastar

Jan 29, 2003
im not even close to done yet.. but i enjoy coming home after work, popping a brew and playing for an hour, but getting myself to quit is hard.. i just have to get my girl to force my to take a shower with her and that problem is fixed.

how many of you are going to go through the entire game on normal, beat it, then go through it again on hard and use nothing but the crow bar..? im sure some of you did that for HL like myself..

peace

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: stncttr908
Mine won't even start.

My Error

No other games do this, and CS:S and HL:S work just fine. Wonderful. :(

I had a similar error once when the game froze on me... I know it doesn't help you much.

Since you are using Windows XP, have you tried compatibility mode?

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Forsythe
How many people have finished the game yet? I have for one. No big problems, i only played on normal though.

I am right about half way done, and I've been playing for 8 hours or so on "hard". Amost there... ;)

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
for some reason half life2 gives me headaches while playing. no other FPS game does that for some reason. the frame rate is high (50fps+ on a radeon x800) with a 16ms response time LCD.

i suppose its a good thing because it prevents addiction and over playing.

we need to setup a formal way to help with the puzzles. i keep getting stuck at different places.

I find the game making me queasy too, reading the HL2 steam forum lots of other people are getting headaches or feeling sick also.

canadianpsycho

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Jesus, it was way too short. And anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, but there was no real sense of urgency. The final chapter was a bit of a joke. No challenge whatsoever.

I think the ending left a real bitter taste in my mouth.

HostVisions

Banned
Jan 15, 2002
This game, is, the greatest game I've played ever. Period. And that's 22 years of gaming folks.

Dunno how far I am but I think I'm on chapter 6 (finish Raven long ago, on the beach levels toward the end of those I think). Game just rocks. Finally, a game that lives up to the hype.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Just finished the game. Two very big thumbs up. Will be in close contention for game of the year with Rome: Total War (I just love the total war series, and I love Romans).

Certainly the best FPS I have played in a long time. Excellent game.

I started on Hard... I guess the next thing to do is try to go through the game on 1600x1200 if I can (it was running smooth with max details at 12x9)

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Arg, I seem to have a phobia of these stupid monsters... I don't find anything in Doom III (except spiders) scary at all, and I don't think any of those supposedly scary movies are scary, but damn, these things freak me out, just like spiders. X(

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: clicknext
Arg, I seem to have a phobia of these stupid monsters... I don't find anything in Doom III (except spiders) scary at all, and I don't think any of those supposedly scary movies are scary, but damn, these things freak me out, just like spiders. X(

Maybe its because they're presented in a more realstic manner?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
I couldn't figure out how to get the airboat past the flaming barricade they put up. So I went on foot. For about 30 minutes. Then when I'm escaping the helicopter, and entering the tunnel, I find that it's full of toxic waste, and you need the boat to survive. It saved over the autosave at the beginning of the level, and my quicksaves are all before I ditched the boat.... :-

Anyways, I'm writing this game off. It was fun while it lasted, but I can't stand to play through all that again.

Ha, you go around it. :p

Go off to the right and there's a space there.

XNice

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
i have been playing this too log, i had a sex dream involving Alyx last night..............

it went good:D

god i wish i could control my dreams

you mutherfvcker, need jesus....

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow

Yup.

The city is outstanding, not only does it look great quality-wise, but it feels great. This game is very well done in an artistic way, I haven't seen a setting in a game like this since GTA3's Liberty City. Doom 3's atmosphere aint got shiite on HL2. And the more I play the better it gets.

The "storm troopers" are freaky looking!!

OMGWTFSTORMTROOPERS!!!!111!! :p

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: warcrow

Yup.

The city is outstanding, not only does it look great quality-wise, but it feels great. This game is very well done in an artistic way, I haven't seen a setting in a game like this since GTA3's Liberty City. Doom 3's atmosphere aint got shiite on HL2. And the more I play the better it gets.

The "storm troopers" are freaky looking!!

OMGWTFSTORMTROOPERS!!!!111!! :p

You think you've seen atmosphere? You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait for Ravenholm, or Highway 17.

I won't say anything else to avoid spoiling.

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
Originally posted by: theblackbox
ravenholm is amazing, some of the areas are so dark, and forbidding. i think it out dooms doom 3 with good looking textures and truly scary moments. I think hl2 outdid themselves. Going through the laundremat was harrowing.

I love the cemetary too, when all the zombies are burning and still coming on.

All i can say is... wow.

oh, and i tried it on my intel rig, with the x800pro, and do not have as much stuttering as i do on the amd rig with the 6800gt, looks like it only stutters at autosave now.

But the game otherwise looks great and plays great on both.

I really agree with this. Doom 3 being scary was fun at first but started becoming sort of a grind because it wasn't a matter of if the scare was behind the door, but wondering how cheaply it was going to nail you, or what else was going to pop out of where and hit you while you opened the door and got cheaply nailed. Ravenholm was absolutely great. I was on alert the whole time. I had to stop and break a few times just because the whole thing was just getting to me. Being out in the open in a little town like that, looking up and seeing the moon lost in a sea of black, then being jarred back into the moment by something groaning from the darkness a few feet away.

I had to stop playing for the night after getting into Nova Prospekt. Overall, I'm blown away by this game. The only complaint I have is that I've managed to get stuck on/in objects several times. A few times I died from it. I've practically worn the print off of my F6 key so it's no big deal, but it's still annoying to get trapped between two objects on the floor and have to lose some progress because of it.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: InsomniakYou think you've seen atmosphere? You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait for Ravenholm, or Highway 17.

I won't say anything else to avoid spoiling.

I just started Ravenholm, it's scaring the sh!t out of me :) I nearly soiled myself when the black you know what comes at you for the first time. oh yeah the gravity gun is totally fun!!!

SPOILER

I was giggling like a little girl when I picked up the saw blades and cut the crab guys in half :D

Luthien

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2004
Just finished it in total about 14 hours maybe 15 hours on normal. Overall the best game I ever played. It has great moments and slow moments but nothing horribly bad. I played 16x1200 the hole game too and dont think I ever droped below 30FPS and probably rarely below 40FPS. Yes, it I agree with those saying it made them feel physically ill at times but I chalk that up to playing for too long.

jpthomas

Jul 16, 2004
Mine just came in the mail today. So far I am having a blast. The load times are a little annoying and take you out of the game, but so far that's my only gripe. The player models and facial textures are very impressive. I'm not that big a fan of the SMG due to its innacuracy, so I prefer the pistol (however I just picked up the magnum...too cool!!).

I took a short break from the single player to check out CS. Man, that game has never looked so good.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I started playing and went for four straight hours. It kind of made me sick actually, took a rest, had to go work out and eat :)

the steam authentication kinda pissed me off / took awhile to do, almost as long as the actual installation itself.