**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 14, 2003
is the stress test included with the full game? anyway to bench makr without runnin round like a nutter n using fraps?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
5 discs, argh ! Why the release near finals in school? why?why?why?

I would hate to get an interview and explain my low GPA or that my after school activities were non existent due to HL2.

*installing now on my A64 3000 6800GT rig*

I would also really wish publishers would add a AMD cpu equivalent on the box. Not that I don't understand, just so the general public would know how AMD's are the best performing CPU's at games. FACT. (pushes it in Intel's face)

obeseotron

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
nvm. Just through mods. Do the pirated copies on bittorrent actually work?? Or are they just CD images without a proper crack for the internet activation? Or is it like a HL2 directory?

Well someone could have put out the contents of the DVD a while ago I'm sure. When launched HL2 seeks authentication from steam, which is why people who got their copy early couldn't play. According to the nfo (readme's for warez) the crackers use a launcher to emulate steam so when the program launches the phony steam returns authentication. As I said before I bought the game so I can't make the claim that any specific version working, but this one is showing up everywhere, so I would imagine it does work. Because you asked I read the nfo (warez readme, they're available on a variety of legal sites because they are just a text file) and apparently its a copy of a decrypted HL2 directory with a launcher that takes the place of steam.

And I was attacking the use of steam for copy protection as pointless. I think steam is a great model for selling games and getting more money to the developers, just not as an anti-piracy measure. I think the half dozen or so rich development studios will all probably look into them, but the publishers will work against it with all their might and only the more independent successful developers could realistically adopt such a model.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Stangs55
I'm going to be "sick" tomorrow....I work at a hospital.....does this make me a bad person?

Do you have to perform a life saving operation tomorrow?

edm

Mar 7, 2000
has anyone else had any trouble ordering? I just went to order the Silver version and got "Your purchase could not be completed at this time due to an error while processing your transaction. Please try again later" :|

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
Anyone seen any driver benchmark roundups that include ATI? I saw the 4.12 but trying to see if it's worth bothering, HL2 is running nice but it could do with a little AA, which has occasional jerkiness for me :(

Also any 'cost free' (in terms of visuals) tweaks? someone told me about increasing 'heapsize', but ive not found any info on it.

pic 1
pic2

lots of people reporting having problems with steam in the past could of hours. i'm pretty f**ked off, i had mine all done 12 hours ago, but stupid f**king steam client keeps forgetting the login - its fine if i always do it oiffline mode, but soon as i go to online mode and cancel [or steam cant connect] then when i go to offline mode it hasnt stored the info and needs to connect to steam, but steam isnt working WHICH IS WHY IM TRYING TO USE THE F**KING OFFLINE MODE.

starting to think about heading to warez for copy protection circumvention already, by far the fastest evar for me.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Goddam it. I'm getting the same "memory could not be 'read'" error I get with CS:Source. Tried the -heapsize thing, cl_smooth, ati drivers from 4.6 up to 4.12 beta, nvidia chipset drivers up to and including the latest betas. ARGH.

Funny thing is though it's always at the same place. I get to the traincar with the power up alien, and then right when I go past that to the fire and that loading screen it craps out. Everytime.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
NETWORK STATUS
This page last updated: 2:53pm PST (22:53 GMT), November 16 2004
Steam is: ONLINE

*panto audience* oh no it isnt! */panto audience*

edit: do these guys disable the steam forums everytime theres a large problem with steam?

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
I'm getting the middle finger every time I try to play with any kind of anti aliasing on a resolution above 800x600.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
awesome game, gotta love the hovercraft. incidently, it runs at better framerate than CS S

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I'm so tired from staying up late. Not sure how far I can go tonight. As a matter of fact, I think I want to take at least two months to finish the game, I mean we have waiting 6 years for this, what is the point in rushing through the game?

knyghtbyte

Oct 20, 2004
bedtime here in the UK *fingers crossed* to my credit card having credit available on it tomorrow so i can play HL2 when i get home from work.....

(ok, main reason for posting this was to take my post count up to 50....heh....yes im sure that sounds sad and depraved, but i've never posted in forums before, despite chatting online for um, almost 10 years...lol)

happy half-lifing folks,
nyte nyte

rbownes

Nov 15, 2000
I just moved from town to out in the country. No adsl/cable available and dial-up just sucks. I only have internet at work right now......not HL2 for me. So maybe I'll buy Far Cry instead, I heard it was pretty good.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
So far its pretty awesome. I love the grenades and explosions. Graphics are pretty good. Only let down is the water effects. They are pretty good (damn good compared to other games), but I was really expecting less glitches and better reflecting/distorting water.

I love fighting combine, but hate those flying blade things.

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
I'm really impressed with this game. Was surprised to learn you can pick up and throw most objects. I thought that was only going to be accomplished with that weapon we saw in the demo.

I bought a copy of the steam version and a copy of the retail collectors edition.
A couple of minor gripes:
One is that the retail version gives you an actual CD key whereas the steam version apparently does not.

Another is that even though you have to activate the game online and it is inextricably tied to your steam ID, you still have to have the CD in the drive to run the game. I don't see any point in that. It's not like you can go install the game in multiple computers and play simultaneously.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
Another is that even though you have to activate the game online and it is inextricably tied to your steam ID, you still have to have the CD in the drive to run the game. I don't see any point in that. It's not like you can go install the game in multiple computers and play simultaneously.
yeah i thought that was pretty annoying, but i guess it has something to do with the offline mode (but, er, cant the steam downloders use that too?)

Oct 19, 2000
I am stuck like a little bitch. I know it's simple, but I can't figure it out. I'm in a room that you drop into and initially has tons of exploding barrels and the flying things coming at you in hordes. After you take care of all of that, you can climb the ladder down into the shallow water with the big pipe lit up red. Or, you can climb to the top of the ladder, climb across the pipe to the ledge above, then into the next room which houses another long ladder down to some water, with a big gate blocking the other room. You can also see the other side of the big pipe that's lit up red.

I cannot figure out what to do here. I feel so stupid.......

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
I'm so tired from staying up late. Not sure how far I can go tonight. As a matter of fact, I think I want to take at least two months to finish the game, I mean we have waiting 6 years for this, what is the point in rushing through the game?

I agree. Most good games I get, I really try to take my time with. Especially if the game isn't as difficult as others.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
w00t! Got my copy today and installing now. Hoping for everything to go smoothly and everything works!

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: blurredvision
I am stuck like a little bitch. I know it's simple, but I can't figure it out. I'm in a room that you drop into and initially has tons of exploding barrels and the flying things coming at you in hordes. After you take care of all of that, you can climb the ladder down into the shallow water with the big pipe lit up red. Or, you can climb to the top of the ladder, climb across the pipe to the ledge above, then into the next room which houses another long ladder down to some water, with a big gate blocking the other room. You can also see the other side of the big pipe that's lit up red.

There is a red valve that you have to turn in the second room (where the water is), turn it and the water will begin to fill. Then go to the first room and you will see the water has filled up part of the room. Well, go over to where the ladder is and swim down through the hole the ladder goes through, and you'll find alittle passage that leads to the 3rd room.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: blurredvision

There is a red valve that you have to turn in the second room (where the water is), turn it and the water will begin to fill. Then go to the first room and you will see the water has filled up part of the room. Well, go over to where the ladder is and swim down through the hole the ladder goes through, and you'll find alittle passage that leads to the 3rd room.
Thanks. Just quit from trying to find something for the fourth time. Will look again :D.