**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fuzn

Aug 10, 2004
I'm stuck on this part with a stupid helicopter when i'm going through the underground railroad thing. Makes no sense...

BigFatCow

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Azzy64
if you can access console on HL2 [you wud have to enable it in the options first ] ( i aint played it yet, still at school :() try typing CL_SMOOTH 0, this removes stuttering in CS: S so i imagine it does the same in hl2

didnt work..

BigFatCow

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Fuzn
I'm stuck on this part with a stupid helicopter when i'm going through the underground railroad thing. Makes no sense...

Be more specific on where, and i can prolly help you out. do you have the gun on the boat yet?

Fuzn

Aug 10, 2004
Well. It's a odd situation. Random water.... went around some stairs. Saw a door to the left, opened it. (Helicopter was shooting me the whole time). I went down some stairs... saw some guy dead. Go around and down and see a ton of those monsters with the big things hanging out. The problem? that just was a gate that didn't go anywhere. I'm guessing I have to somehow get over that heap of random stuff. Here is a pic...

BigFatCow

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Fuzn
Well. It's a odd situation. Random water.... went around some stairs. Saw a door to the left, opened it. (Helicopter was shooting me the whole time). I went down some stairs... saw some guy dead. Go around and down and see a ton of those monsters with the big things hanging out. The problem? that just was a gate that didn't go anywhere. I'm guessing I have to somehow get over that heap of random stuff. Here is a pic...

I remember that from the SS but i forgot how i got past it. What all the way on the other side of where you took the SS?

Fuzn

Aug 10, 2004
HAH. I found it. I forgot that SPRINTING can help in jumping up on that ledge that's behind the board in the picture. Thanks.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
The loading kind of gets me too, very distracting, funny non of the reviews I read mentioned this. I also experience stuttering, don't know why, my system should be able to handle this fine.

1024x768 2xAA, 8xAF, recommended ingame settings.

heading towards the church right now.

Taking a eating break first.

Oct 19, 2000
Damn this game is going to be good. Got up 1 1/2 hours early this morning so I could get some playtime in. Was slow as hell unlocking, but it gave me time to see other's opinions on the net first before hopping in. I played about an hour's worth, and here's my thoughts:

The Good
- The Source engine is amazing. Valve has done an excellent job with everything graphics. I'm able to run smoothly at 1600x1200, 4xAA/8xAF, all details set to high (A64@2.43GHz, 1GB PC3200, 6800GT)
- The character models are the best I've ever seen in a game period. The emotions they show on their face are uncanny. I actually got a little jittery when some of the NPC's would turn around and look at me.
- The sound is great. The surround is very well done. The music, what little I"ve heard, is also well done, with some throaty bass and whatnot thrown in.
- The sense of urgency at the beginning of the game is great. The guards are chasing you and people are helping to hold them up. Most of the time I just wanted to watch the fate of whoever was holding the door for me, but being my first time through the game, I didn't want to die yet :D.
- Little scripted events like the crow flying off and the guard shutting the peepslot of the door are amazing little touches that Valve is known for.

The Bad
- Loading times take you out of the game. Takes my comp about 5-10 seconds to load, in which time the sound stutters and doesn't continue to play smoothly. Also, right after it loads, as soon as I move, it stutters again and stops me like it's still loading. Could be the game either not managing the RAM well or using too much of it.
- The guards are the only thing I've fought so far, but they are fairly unintelligent. I am playing on Easy though, so this could be the problem. They run straight at me and most of the time just stay there. Let's hope the AI gets better as the game goes along.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Damn this game is going to be good. Got up 1 1/2 hours early this morning so I could get some playtime in. Was slow as hell unlocking, but it gave me time to see other's opinions on the net first before hopping in. I played about an hour's worth, and here's my thoughts:

The Good
- The Source engine is amazing. Valve has done an excellent job with everything graphics. I'm able to run smoothly at 1600x1200, 4xAA/8xAF, all details set to high (A64@2.43GHz, 1GB PC3200, 6800GT)
- The character models are the best I've ever seen in a game period. The emotions they show on their face are uncanny. I actually got a little jittery when some of the NPC's would turn around and look at me.
- The sound is great. The surround is very well done. The music, what little I"ve heard, is also well done, with some throaty bass and whatnot thrown in.
- The sense of urgency at the beginning of the game is great. The guards are chasing you and people are helping to hold them up. Most of the time I just wanted to watch the fate of whoever was holding the door for me, but being my first time through the game, I didn't want to die yet :D.
- Little scripted events like the crow flying off and the guard shutting the peepslot of the door are amazing little touches that Valve is known for.

The Bad
- Loading times take you out of the game. Takes my comp about 5-10 seconds to load, in which time the sound stutters and doesn't continue to play smoothly. Also, right after it loads, as soon as I move, it stutters again and stops me like it's still loading. Could be the game either not managing the RAM well or using too much of it.
- The guards are the only thing I've fought so far, but they are fairly unintelligent. I am playing on Easy though, so this could be the problem. They run straight at me and most of the time just stay there. Let's hope the AI gets better as the game goes along.

I think there's only one scripted sequence with a bird. The rest, unless I'm mistaken, is done on-the-fly. But yes, the scripted sequences are awesome.

About the AI: I'm playing on medium and I've seen combine soldiers run behind cover. I've also seen them blindly follow me through doors (easy kills) and run straight at me. Honestly, most of my battles go too fast to notice much of the AI. Either they're dead really quick or I'm running away. Hehehe

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Just worked night shift.........
HL2 unlocking now

Soooo tired.

Must play game

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: EpsiIon
I think there's only one scripted sequence with a bird. The rest, unless I'm mistaken, is done on-the-fly. But yes, the scripted sequences are awesome.

About the AI: I'm playing on medium and I've seen combine soldiers run behind cover. I've also seen them blindly follow me through doors (easy kills) and run straight at me. Honestly, most of my battles go too fast to notice much of the AI. Either they're dead really quick or I'm running away. Hehehe
There are actually quite a few scripted sequences, but they are very well done. Stuff like the guy in the interrogation room, the first look at a stryder walking by, the guy and the girl looking out the hotel window down below. Lots of scripted stuff, but so far it's all been extra stuff, not actual gameplay scripts, which is a VERY good thing.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I don't find the loading that bad at all, personally, but then again typical loads are about 4 seconds for me (Raptor 74GB). I think having a 10k RPM HD helps a good bit in this case.

I do get the 1 second post-load stutter though; it seems to be part of the way the next section is preloaded... Once you're past that blip it's all smooth ;) .

knyghtbyte

Oct 20, 2004
*sigh* nothing worse than knowing i have a totally free evening to play HL2...only to realise my credit card is at its limit.......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edit: oh and just to rub salt in to the wound, i cant even get my mum to do it on hers as she lost her handbag yesterday and cancelled all her cards......arghhhhhhh

Edit Edit: btw, please can someone tell me how i set up that page that lists my specs (the one people link to from my signature)? save me having a stupidly long signature for when im posting in off topic or nonhardware related stuff.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: knyghtbyte
*sigh* nothing worse than knowing i have a totally free evening to play HL2...only to realise my credit card is at its limit.......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wow... life sucks.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
knyghtbyte look here http://anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx.

After about 7 hours of nonstop gaming action stuff to stop only to bathroom and one eating session, fatigue started to settle in. And it sucks. But the game is really cool, always in constant action and the beginning has some question that aren't answered, which keeps me speculating. Just ran across the entire freakin country on buggy and it was pretty cool.

...and Ohhh, the water.... FarCry can kiss HL2's ass!

So far so good, was it worth the wait, so far it is:)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: VIAN
knyghtbyte look here http://anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx.

After about 7 hours of nonstop gaming action stuff to stop only to bathroom and one eating session, fatigue started to settle in. And it sucks. But the game is really cool, always in constant action and the beginning has some question that aren't answered, which keeps me speculating. Just ran across the entire freakin country on buggy and it was pretty cool.

What sucks? The fatique or the game? :confused:

I'm guessing the fatique based on your later comments. :)

Man, the character interaction is amazing. It's the first time I actually wanted to sit and listen to what a NPC has to say. Kinda creepy in a (good) way. Barney rocks and makes teh funnays!