**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Note that the back catalog does not include HL: Blue Shift. Or at least I cant seem to find it.

eVaoVe

Aug 31, 2004
I'm still a bit unclear. If I buy the silver edition via steam, is it going to preload the silver items onto my pc, or are all the preloads the same ATM? Also can I burn the silver edition to a DVD disc as an Installer, so if I just insert that DVD disc in then it'll prompt a Install, read-me, exit etc etc?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: eVaoVe
I'm still a bit unclear. If I buy the silver edition via steam, is it going to preload the silver items onto my pc, or are all the preloads the same ATM? Also can I burn the silver edition to a DVD disc as an Installer, so if I just insert that DVD disc in then it'll prompt a Install, read-me, exit etc etc?

1) If you buy the silver edition, it will immediately begin preloading HL2. Then, it will load/install CS:S. Everything else (HL:S and DOD:S) are still not preloaded as far as I know.

2) You can backup Steam buy, as you said, throwing it to DVD for backup. But, it will not act like a regular restain disk and pormpt to install the stuff. You would just copy over the cached files to the Steam dir, or Steam would just DL what you dont have. Its pretty stragith foward actually.

eVaoVe

Aug 31, 2004
Oh i see, thanks warcrow. So If i want to backup my steam, then I copy my entire steam folder into a DVD disk, and then say i want to put it on another harddrive/computer, i just paste it, and it should work?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Oh i see, thanks warcrow. So If i want to backup my steam, then I copy my entire steam folder into a DVD disk, and then say i want to put it on another harddrive/computer, i just paste it, and it should work?

Yep. I think there might be one file you wantt to take out. I forget what it is though.

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: JBT

Yep. I think there might be one file you wantt to take out. I forget what it is though.

I'm pretty sure warcrow posted this somewhere before, but I looked a bit and couldn't find his post, so I went out and found the page on my own... Here is how to backup your files straight from the steamvents... (IE: Steampowered.com).

Also, warcrow, since we see this question often, would you mind posting this at the beginning of the thread (like I said, I'm almost sure I've seen you link to this before, I just couldn't find it) so everyone can have the answer/instructions at the tip of their fingers?

:beer:

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: HostVisions
It's taking a back seat for me at least to Halo2 until I finish that puppy

It must just be me, I dont really get the who Halo thing. It just came across, to me, as a knock-off of every other FPS from the PC. I'm not trying to start a nasty debate, just voicing my opinion is all.
It's a silky smooth game. Essentially the same as other shoot'emups, but fun to play nonetheless. Course I play on the PC. Halo's multiplayer is exactly like UT2k3/2k4. Or to be more exact, the other way around :)

It's worth playing just to see the needler work

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: chrisbtx
Originally posted by: JBT

I'm pretty sure warcrow posted this somewhere before, but I looked a bit and couldn't find his post, so I went out and found the page on my own... Here is how to backup your files straight from the steamvents... (IE: Steampowered.com).

Also, warcrow, since we see this question often, would you mind posting this at the beginning of the thread (like I said, I'm almost sure I've seen you link to this before, I just couldn't find it) so everyone can have the answer/instructions at the tip of their fingers?

:beer:

Thanks for reposting Chris. I actually lost that link, so you've been a great help. I'll post in the front.

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Just thought I'd let everyone know (considering I haven't seen it posted yet on the thread) that I in my insomniac state (it's 5 am and i'm about to go to sleep... i get up at 8... this is almost daily) that Steam was finally downloading some DoD: Source files... it would really rock if they released that before 11/16 as well as HL: Source.

Edit: It's been said in other parts of the forums (ATOT), but I noticed after my restart a few minutes ago that Steam unlocked Half-Life 2. You still can't do anything with it, but the files are actually able to be extracted (not legal, btw)... look over in ATOT and you'll see what I mean.

Feb 10, 2000
The shots look great, but I have a nitpick about one decision they made in designing the game: Why the hell don't they have any hands on the handlebar of that dune buggy-type vehicle? It just floats out there, and steers on its own. It looks particularly odd in the movies. We see Gordon's hands when reloading and holding a pistol - why not on the handlebar?

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: blurredvision
IS BEST BUY SELLING AN EARLY COPY OF THE GAME!?!?!?!?! According to this guy, yes. At the time I post this, his brother is on his way back from buying it from his local Best Buy. Says he has it in his hands.

If this is true, Valve must give all of us Steam owners the game, due to a retailer breaking the release date. :D We'll see how this turns out.

The guy is faking it, he doesn't have the game.