*** Official Gigabyte P965-DS3 Thread ***

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

greylaugh

Jun 15, 2008
Howdy. Just picked up Rev 3.3 of this board brand new over at Microcenter for $52 and I was gonna use it to overclock my E6300 (BX stepping). The rest of the stuff I'm planning to use is:

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB matched pair DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.2v
Zalman 9700 cooler
Maxtor 320GB SataII with 16mb cache-I plan on using the JMicron Sata ports for NCQ.
500watt Enermax Liberty PSU
NEC 3500A IDE burner
PNY 7900GS plain-vanilla card
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI card
Antec Super Lanboy case
Win XP Pro with SP3

I haven't had a chance to go over this thread yet (it's huge, and I'm also busy helping my dad while he's recovering from surgery), so I was hoping someone wouldn't mind answering a few questions. My concerns are:

1-What sort of overclock should I reasonably expect to get with this setup? I'm not hoping for some speed record, but I do want faster than stock without going through major drama.

2-From what I've read in various reviews I've googled up, there can be problems using an IDE optical drive to install XP. From what I can tell, I'll have to install the Sata II drivers for the JMicron using the floppy drive during the XP install. Is there any other goofiness that could pop up?

3-What "quirks" should I look for while using this board?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

dragonfang

Sep 19, 2004
sorry to dig this up from the dead, but i have a quick question

is this board be able to support a 9800gtx??
I've googled all over the place and i found mixed responses- mainly about how nvidia pci-e2.0 cards aren't compatible with some pci-e1.0a boards (which is apparently what all p965 chipsets are).

one of the references i found(scroll down to find tables):
http://gathering.tweakers.net/...ist_messages/1241374/0

can i maybe get some testimonies of people who currently have 9800gtx on their ds3?

tkc204

Oct 14, 2004
So I just bought 1.5 TB Seagate drive internal to connect with this mb but in the bios it only shows that the drive is 500 GB??? I updated the BIOS to the latest version but its not reading it as 1500GB. Any clues on how to fix this?