***OFFICIAL*** Flags of Our Fathers Movie Thread!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
54% so far on Rotten Tomatoes

Which is really disappointing. I was hoping Clint would bring another 'Best Picture' caliber title to the big screen (especially with Spielberg producing it). Granted there are a lot more reviews that will come out in the next few weeks, but I've found that RT extrapolates well from small sample sizes to large ones; it might go up another 10-15% at best, but it's not going to challenge SPR for the crown.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
73% on rotten tomatoes now.

B+ on Yahoo critics, and A- on yahoo user reviews

I am seeing this today at 4. Woot!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My office has a theater that can be used for pre-screenings. Flags started screening there about two weeks ago. In fact, I was there when the film canisters arrived under guard.

But I've been too busy to watch it at work, so I'll see it Sunday.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
My wife and I will probably see this on Sunday. I'm a little suprised at the mediocre (well, by Clint's standards) RT reviews.

Dobbs

Nov 19, 2001
From what I understand there is much more battle footage that will make it into the dvd "directors cut". I did alot of prop fabrication for the production and was talking with the prop master about how the battle footage was going to be in regards to Saving Private Ryan. He said it blows SPR away, this was many months ago and at the time we were doing fabrication for Red Sun which is renamed Letters from Iwo Jima. What I have read online is that the amount of battle footage is nowhere near the amount that was filmed and in the rough cuts of the film. Originaly we were told that the battle would follow various soldiers up to the point of the flag being rasied, something like the opening sequence from SPR. Hope to go see the film this weekend or early next week.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i guess the younger generation isn't interested

my wife looked around the theatre last night and thought it was about 80% filled with my parents generation, 60's and older

Dobbs

Nov 19, 2001
Thats because all the younger people are off watching horror films. It is October afterall. It puzzles me why the movie wasnt held and released in November.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Well, I just got back from seeing it. Cried my eyes out!

I would say Clint was as true to the book as he could have been, though the movie felt disjointed from time to time.

Overall, a very good movie. Something I think everyone should see.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

I would say Clint was as true to the book as he could have been, though the movie felt disjointed from time to time.

Refuse to watch this movie. Paul Hagias is the screen writer.. .its probably going to be full of improbable coincidences... with a stupid political message... Can't hollywood just make entertaining movies instead of trying to proselytize people???

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: eleison
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

Refuse to watch this movie. Paul Hagias is the screen writer.. .its probably going to be full of improbable coincidences... with a stupid political message... Can't hollywood just make entertaining movies instead of trying to proselytize people???

Believe me, I was looking for Hollywood's political message. Really didn't find one.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
saw the movie last night, it felt long and drawn out at the end. And sorta sad what happened to some of them after.