**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
not sure that's an AMD specific problem, but for bugs like that you're better off posting in the official tech support forums than here. Either way it's good to raise awareness for stuff like this.

SE's pretty bad about getting around to graphics-related/client fixes tbh, despite all the good things they're doing gamewise.

oh yeah i've logged official complaints about both of these with AMD and SE. I'm just still whining about.

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
So, I'm about to hit lvl 20 so I guess I need to go ahead and buy the full game (I'll hold off on Heavensward for a bit though until I get closer to end game or it goes on sale).

How does the recruit-a-friend stuff work? Anyone want to give me a code?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Sure. PM me your e-mail address, and SE will send you a referral code. Note you have to register the friendship code before you register the full game.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
This new patch... ugh, the grind.

red scrips cap means it takes about 3 months to gear up ONE crafter. Crafted equivalent needs mats from the hidden nodes that needs red script consumables to mine... and unique gear sets once again for each of the crafters. fuck me and my limited retainer space right?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
You won't have it quickly, no (unless there's a lot of crafters at 60 who will shy away from 2* due to the requirements and sell their token mats instead, which I think will happen at least somewhat) but I don't think it's real grindy. Slow, yes, but in total the time you put into it will be quite spaced out and limited to the red scrips and few 2* crafts you make per week - which I really don't think will be all that time consuming. If you're going for the straight up token-purchased gear it will be slower still, but that's all it is, slow. Not like you're going to be banging your head against it constantly.

Short of red scrips somehow being inordinately difficult to obtain (unlikely - the collectable system basically allows you to do a crappy job of something and still get a reward lol) I think it'll come full circle soon enough. It's not tremendously different from Ehcatl sealants really imo. The token materials required are time limited, significantly, but available to everyone (you only need 1 60 crafter for scrips, though not all are created equal) and tradeable.

There's basically always been two kinds of crafters, the ones that prefer to stick to what's known and the ones that want to press the 'bleeding edge' as it were. The former will sell token materials and wait for the new crafted DoH stuff to depreciate or save them up for the token gear and the latter will buy the token mats to make their own stuff to then sell to the former/DoW/DoM/DoL. It'll be all out of whack early on until the hyperinflation of "any material that goes into a new recipe" subsides and token mats reach a reasonable price point (200k-500k per token?) but I think it pans out fine with time.

On the plus side looking at 2star requirements I think Specialization will be more appealing to help approach them at least until you have a new MH/OH/Body.

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
If you already have the base game, then the expansion (boxed copy) is $29.99 at Amazon (and probably some other places too).

Monthly fee is like $12.95 if you only want one character per world, $15 if you want more (up to 8 I think?).

Protoman25

Jun 4, 2015
Hey fellas, is the expansion still $60? They still have the $15 monthly fee too right? Been thinking about coming back.

Depends on which version you want. Standard edition is 40. And yeah the sub is 15 I believe. It's been awhile since I checked it. I'm legacy so I only pay 10.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
official forums if you can bear digging through trash posts of people complaining about other classes. Reddit usually has more concise posts and it's where I usually go for the latest news in terms of nerfs, changes, etc.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
So, I'm about to hit lvl 20 so I guess I need to go ahead and buy the full game (I'll hold off on Heavensward for a bit though until I get closer to end game or it goes on sale).

How does the recruit-a-friend stuff work? Anyone want to give me a code?

I'm trying the game out and while close to level 20 on my archer class, I'm working on other classes as well. FFXIV ARR is $20 on Steam. I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to buy later on? I read that if the account has no previous game before ARR, it will receive 30 days game time, and then the monthly fee after? It'll take me forever to get to 50-60, if I even reach it, so I'm not looking to buy anything I don't need.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
FFXIV:ARR is "the base game" essentially. There's a ton to do within that alone but two months ago the first expansion, Heavensward, was also released. However really nothing in Heavensward is relevant until you hit level 50 and then complete quite a bit of story questing at 50. You'd be fine to just have ARR until you decide later if you want to keep playing or not - at which point Heavensward is basically all the current content.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I've unsubbed again. This game got really boring after HW dropped..... The grind between 50 and 60 REALLY sucked, even if the story was decent. I think I only made it to 57, didn't even finish MSQ.

I guess I liked endgame more than I thought I did.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I made it to 60 on two classes pretty quickly and didn't think it was bad at all. It is what you make of it. I thought most of the HW dungeons were really rewarding in terms of loot and XP and have some awesome glamours imo so I just ran those and did trial roulette and daily hunts pretty much. I've done only a handful of HW sidequests and only ever did enough FATEs for challenge log completion. I didn't get 60 first but I enjoyed doing it which I find to be much more important.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
hope you're not just fate grinding, you'll hate life. Though they've doubled the exp there too so its pretty fast paced. Did about 30 minutes of fates last night at churning mists and got half my level at 56. Heard leves are good too.

I got to 60 in about a week the first time around, and my next 2 60s pretty quickly after that (was lvling healer). The dungeons are fun to run and there's plenty of quests/filler things to do. daily hunts, challenge logs, and lots of other things to fill in 150k exp gaps pretty regularly. Leveling from 58-60 is about the same as 1-50 though and roulettes give me about 25% of my level every day.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Haven't had a lot of time to play because of work and family but I got my main to 60 and working on Alexander Savage 2.

Leveling up seems VERY easy compared to before. I lazily got my main battle job to 60 through MSQ and got all my gatherers to 60 just from GC turn in and some light script farming. All my crafters are 54-55 JUST from GC turn ins.

My WAR is 55 from just daily hunt marks and a few dungeons.

I'm not even trying and I seem to be leveling up fine.

Stormbad on Gilgamesh

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
The scholar class is so much better than White Mage, but will my Mind stat go as high as a WHM? I see my intelligence getting higher everytime I level up despite me being a healer

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
3.1 bump!

I haven't played much since Augustish but I'm really looking forward to a lot of the new stuff. I actually find myself genuinely interested in the story quests and think Diadem sounds like it could be a really cool event. I hope Verminion turns out well. It also amazes me how many little 'neat touches' they add into every major patch. This one has adjustable lighting for houses and 'group poses' and alternate camera angles for screenshots and housing tenants and more. While I will never use many of them it is cool just knowing they exist lol.

Plus I am actually excited for the FFXI / FFXIV tie-in event. The glamour gear that's going to be part of it looks pretty outstanding and I've really enjoyed some of their previous cross-game/meta events. The 2nd anniversary one earlier this year was pretty neat imo.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I'm still playing, as I don't have a lot of time to play other multiple games. I'm mainly looking forward to the airship excursions. My FC will be able to field the full 24 man! Exciting!

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So I havent played since a bit after 3.0 dropped. I have missed a few patches, and with 3.2 dropping over night, seems like a decent time to re-sub? What is happening in the game right now?

I heard rumblings that the community was pissed about 3.1/3.15. I don't really know much about that though. What's going on?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The community is always pissed about something, it means nothing. Something is always too hard or too easy or too fast or too slow or too hardcore or too casual or too expensive or too cheap or too soon or too late.

I haven't played much in a while. I played like mad at Heavensward release for a few months and checked out some of 3.1s content, I thought the Void Ark was quite good, but been mostly caught up in FFXI recently. I'm pretty sure 3.2 will bring new crafting stuff, which is usually my thing, but I'll get to it later/eventually.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Hmm. Well. I still have to finish 3.0 story so maybe I'll give it another shot. Any idea of they fixed the Crossfire problems and Eyefinity?

4eigner

Oct 30, 2012
I recently got into FF14 due to some friends' peer pressure. The patch seems to have added a lot. They added group queue for Duty Roulettes, which is pretty nice. I'm still learning quite a bit, and it's been pretty fun.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah I'm enjoying it as well. Just hit 58 with my main and beat Bizmarck white whale thinger HM last night. I feel like I still have a ton of story content left to catch up on but that's ok with me. I did enjoy endgame in 2.0 but I still am shaking rust off haha. Not quite ready for that.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I'm pretty PO'd though that SE didn't bother fixing Eyefinity or Crossfire for HW. It's really shameful, imo.