**Official eMachines M68xx Thread**

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Please search the thread for your problem to help keep it readable.

Unofficial Work-in-Progress FAQ:

(most of this was ripped off from orion7144's thread over at notebookreviews.com)

My best battery life was 2:50, the VPU was downlclocked to 75\100 and using Hitachi's Power Booster software, the hard drive was on max battery, wireless disabled and the screen brightness was turned all the way down. Normal battery life is about 2-2:30.

Stock Specs
Athlon 64-M 3000+ (1.8 Ghz) 1MB L2 cache The M6809 and M6810 have the 64-M 3200+ (2.0 GHz), and the M6811 has a 64-M 3400+ (2.2 GHz)
15.4" WXGA screen (1280 x 800)
60 GB 4200 RPM hard drive (80 GB for the 6809\6811). Some people report getting a 5400 rpm one (I got a 5400 RPM in January, looks like the first ones got 5400RPM drives, later units got 4200 RPM drives)
Mobility Radeon 9600 64 MB (dedicated memory)
DVD/CD-RW combo (the 6807/6809/6811 have a DVD burner/CDRW)
2x256 (512) Samsung PC2700
6-in-1 Digital Media Manger (Compact Flash, Micro Drive, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro)
Broadcom 802.11g Wireless (via mini PCI card)
4 X USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire port (mini 4 pin), 10/100 LAN, 56K modem, mic jack, headphone jack, S-Video out, VGA out

Drivers

1. The OEM provided drivers are on Disc 3 of the restore CDs. This is particularly important if you want to install a different OS. Visigoth pointed out that newer units seem to be coming with a single Restore DVD, so the drivers are on the single restore DVD.

2. Hot keys can't be mapped to other applications at the current time. However, some people are reporting that TweakUI from microsoft will let you do it.

3. VIA Arena Has the latest chipset drivers.

4. The ATI 9600 can use the latest Catalysts (modded) or Omegas.

5. Realtek has the latest drivers for your soundcard.

6. BETA 64 bit ATI Drivers

MEMORY
The memory is split into two modules. One is "user" accessible and the other is under the keyboard and may void your warranty if you replace it. It uses regular PC2700 SODIMM's so you can either replace the stock 256 mb stick that is located on the bottom with a 1 gb or 512 mb stick to increase your memory. There is an issue with PC3200 memory and currently only one stick of PC3200 RAM can be used without nasty problems.

Hard Drive
This is probably the biggest bottleneck in the laptop. 4200 RPM is very slow for a hard drive and these machines need a faster one to go along with the rest of the components.
The hard drive is located in the front middle and there is one screws to get it out. You can get any 9.5mm laptop drive 5400 or 7200 RPM to replace it with. You can either sell the drive or get a 2.5" external USB/Firewire enclosure and use the old drive for backups.

End user upgrades pictures are available at Wereshark.com

MISC
There is also a mini PCI slot located on the bottom of the laptop for the wireless card.

User upgradeable parts that will probably void your warranty.

CPU
The AMD A64-M 3000+ is also known as a DTR (Desktop replacement) and is 1.8Ghz whereas the normal desktop A64 3000+ is 2.0Ghz and has only 512mb of cache. The DTR's have 1MB of L2 cache. There is a 3200+ and a 3400+ that will plug in easily to our machines. The CPU is in a standard ZIF socket.

OVERCLOCKING

The video card is extremely over clockable. Stock speeds are 300mhz for the core and 200mhz for the memory. With some simple tools most people are reporting 400mhz+ on the core and 220mhz+ on the memory. (mine will do 435MHz core and 225MHz (450MHz DDR) memory)

ATI Tool is a program that you run and it will determine the max setting for both the core and memory. It takes awhile to run but is pretty accurate. You can also set custom profiles for 2D and 3D speeds. I have a 2D, 3D, and Battery profile.

ATI Omega display drivers are a must. They are the certified ATI drivers included with a lot of utilities for the Radeon cards. The latest Omega driver can be downloaded from Omega Corner and install just fine. Once installed and you open the control panel there is a tab called Radlinker and there is where you can set you new core and memory speed, although I'd still recommend using ATI Tool.

Over clocking the CPU is a little trickier since there is no AGP/PCI bus lock (meaning you can't lock the bus to 33/66mhz). When you increase the FSB on the CPU it will also increase it on the PCI/AGP bus as well. This will quickly put the PCI/AGP bus out of spec and cause anything from lockups to frequent restarts.

The utility preferred is called Clockgen and can be found here Go to the Athlon 64 motherboards section and download the CG-ICS950403 for the K8T800 chipset. (Direct link) I would recommend not going much beyond 2.0GHz as it will put a serious strain on the PCI/AGP bus.

UNDERCLOCKING

Normally I'd call anyone crazy for underclocking anything, but in my quest for a few extra minutes of battery life I've found a few tidbits. The CPU won't go under 800MHz, lowering the HTT speed throws the AGP\PCI clocks out of whack and will crash the system in no time. The video has a bit more flexibility though. Using ATI Tool I got mine to underclock to 75 MHz VPU, 100MHz memory (200MHz DDR). Any lower and I got nasty artifacting. This netted me about 10 minutes of extra battery time and a slightly cooler right leg. Windows was as responsive as ever.

Next is the dreaded 800MHz on battery problem. It is not eMachines fault rather it is a combination of AMD's driver and Windows XP. If you are running Windows 2000 or Linux you're unaffected.
There is a solution that is pretty simple. Download the latest AMD PowerNow driver and then right click and select compatibility mode. Select Windows 2000 and then install. You can now check the power properties and there is a new option "AMD PowerNow ? Technology" one of the options is High performance mode and always on.

Some people are having trouble installing XP Service Pack 2 on their machines, and it appears that updating the BIOS fixes their issues, but flashing the BIOS may void your warranty, so don't blame anyone but yourself if your machine dies because of a bad flash. Get it plugged in or have LOTS of battery power left before you attempt it just to minimize any potential issues.
Link Use either the M6809 or M6811 BIOS.

Thanks to Mermaidman's thread I have discovered that the hinge on my screen is cracked, and this is a widespread issue apparently, but is pretty much just cosmetic.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Looks like my search for a laptop for myself has ended. As long as I don't get stiffed on the warranty I'm going to be all over this. Just wanted to let everyone that doesn't read HardOCP know about this one.

Heinrich

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2001
WOW this is the one to have. Been drooling over the VoodooPC m855 but that would set me back about $1000 more - granted a 3200 instead of a 3000, but, still....$1000? If only these things had the 128MB 9600 in them like the Centrinos do. Wonder if I could install XP PRO on top of the home. Wonder if there's a snowballs chance in hell this 9600 Pro is an upgradeable module like they can be...I'm probably dreaming.

Heinrich

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2001
I say $1000 assuming about $300 for a 512meg upgrade to 1 gig. Anyone know what good RAM upgrade to make 1 gig? I doubt its the same DDR chips used on Desktops is it?

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: coolred
What exactly do you mean by "stiffed on the warranty"?
Inflated price for an extended warranty. Laptops are one of the few things that the extended warranty makes sense on.

Heinrich

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2001
Circuit City is offering a $100 rebate on this notebook here eMachines M6805

On the rebate form you'll notice the mention of an M6807 - excited, hoping for a 9600 128MB, I found this article:

PCWorld on M6807

For $100 more you can get a DVD+-RW. Circuity City will be carrying it (cuz it's on the rebate form).

Frightcrawler

Oct 15, 2003
strange...i looked closely at the specs and it said:

Level 2 Cache 1MB

i thought 3000's had 512k cache??

also, the vid card is 64mb 9600.

Edit: this is for the m6805, that is.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Frightcrawler
strange...i looked closely at the specs and it said:

Level 2 Cache 1MB

i thought 3000's had 512k cache??

also, the vid card is 64mb 9600.

Edit: this is for the m6805, that is.

You are not the only one confused by the model number..... I e-mailed eMachinea asking about the laptop and they mentioned that the physical speed is 2.0 GHz..... and we know that the mobile parts have 1 Mb L2 cache...... so I think they made a mistake in the model number.

This lappie is based in the Arima W720-K8..... (K8T800)... they should have chosen the W730-K8 instead (128 MB ATI M10P, WUXGA...... ) Anyway, a killer machine at a killer price!
There is a quite big thread about AMD64 laptops at the official AMD forums, and this one is stirring the chicken shack!

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: monkelyoy
Just bought one of these babies. Are you saying that this is actually a 3200+?

I thought so, but it surely is a 3000+ (1.8 GHz).... I also bought one :p

Alex

monkelyoy

Jul 14, 2002
Alex:

Saw your post on the hot deals site. You are correct! Did you order it by mail? How long did it take to come in?

Benchmarks!

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I got it my "local" circuit city.... They had 2 of them (6805). When I walked in the sales guy was trying to sell a sub $1000 lappie to a couple, and trying hard. they didn't buy it. I was close by looking at the machines behind the glass, and I saw this white box witht he Athlon 64 logo..... He tought I was just staring, as he approached me a little dissapointed because they didn't buy.....

- Can I help you sir? (he didn't look very convinced....)
- Yes, I am taking one of those... (points to the M6805)
- Which one? That?
- Yes, the eMachines M6805
- The one with the new chip? You want to see it? (gets excited)
- No, I want to take one home...
- You want it? Do you know about the chip that is has inside?
- Yes, I have been waiting for a machine like this several months.
- (calls the manager very excited) I have a customer that wants to buy a laptop with the new chip......

The manager comes, she gives us the laptop and he repeats again "This is the one with the new 64 bits chip".... He was talking during the sale very excited about the machine and the 64 bits chips..... he also got really happy for the sale.

I was surprised by how knowledgeable he was... and he got excited also :p

Benchmarks to follow, but will be SLOW (3 kids to take care of, and let them "help me" with the benchmarks is not in my plans....)

Alex

glenmore2

Jan 20, 2004
Hey fellow 6805 owners. Does your computer's CPU throttle back up to 1.8 under load when running on batteries. Mine drops to 793 Mhz and doesn't throttle back up even under load. AMD's dashboard utility shows PowerNow working fine when it's plugged in, but when I unplug it, it drops to 44% an doesn't speed up ever

Anyone else have this problem?

glenmore2

Jan 20, 2004
Hey fellow 6805 owners. Does your computer's CPU throttle back up to 1.8 under load when running on batteries. Mine drops to 793 Mhz and doesn't throttle back up even under load. AMD's dashboard utility shows PowerNow working fine when it's plugged in, but when I unplug it, it drops to 44% an doesn't speed up ever

glenmore2

Jan 20, 2004

mcleo19

Jan 19, 2004
Originally posted by: glenmore2

This article may shed some light to what you are experiencing...
Tom's Hardware review

glenmore2

Jan 20, 2004
Thank you I have been searching all over trying to find an answer to this. I can't believe laptop makers are doing this its false advertising. I also am suprised that AMD would allow for this type of limitation.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Originally posted by: alexruiz
I got it my "local" circuit city.... They had 2 of them (6805). When I walked in the sales guy was trying to sell a sub $1000 lappie to a couple, and trying hard. they didn't buy it. I was close by looking at the machines behind the glass, and I saw this white box witht he Athlon 64 logo..... He tought I was just staring, as he approached me a little dissapointed because they didn't buy.....

- Can I help you sir? (he didn't look very convinced....)
- Yes, I am taking one of those... (points to the M6805)
- Which one? That?
- Yes, the eMachines M6805
- The one with the new chip? You want to see it? (gets excited)
- No, I want to take one home...
- You want it? Do you know about the chip that is has inside?
- Yes, I have been waiting for a machine like this several months.
- (calls the manager very excited) I have a customer that wants to buy a laptop with the new chip......

The manager comes (by the way, I'd hit it....), she gives us the laptop and he repeats again "This is the one with the new 64 bits chip".... He was talking during the sale very excited about the machine and the 64 bits chips..... he also got really happy for the sale.

I was surprised by how knowledgeable he was... and he got excited also :p

Benchmarks to follow, but will be SLOW (3 kids to take care of, and let them "help me" with the benchmarks is not in my plans....)

Alex

That's unacceptable Alex. Those 3 kids can wait...we need benchmarks NOW!