Official Elden Ring Thread

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'm on my 7th total playthrough. I have one game in journey 2, one in journey 4 and a newish one in journey 1. Trying each ending. Love this game so much I bought on pc as well as ps5. I'm a crackhead.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
I'm on my 7th total playthrough. I have one game in journey 2, one in journey 4 and a newish one in journey 1. Trying each ending. Love this game so much I bought on pc as well as ps5. I'm a crackhead.

I can tell right now that I'm going to absolutely love this game and will go through multiple full replays. Now that I'm more or less up to speed with the controller, would love to play this on my big screen.

This is absolutely one of my favorite genres. Combining those RPG elements of my youth with a twitch-like combat engine.

Like you, pretty sure I'm eventually going to pick up a copy on the PS5 too.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I can tell right now that I'm going to absolutely love this game and will go through multiple full replays. Now that I'm more or less up to speed with the controller, would love to play this on my big screen.

This is absolutely one of my favorite genres. Combining those RPG elements of my youth with a twitch-like combat engine.

Like you, pretty sure I'm eventually going to pick up a copy on the PS5 too.

Gotta warn you if your TV doesn't have HDMI 2.1 VRR, probably better to pick up the PS4 version and play on PS5 through backward compatibility. Otherwise you're going to get an inconsistent experience with lots of frame drops into the 50s and when on your horse into the high 40s. PS4 version on PS5 tradeoffs are you get checkerboard 1800p resolution (so really rendered at 1600x1800 and interpolated to 3200x1800) and lose the high grass, but it's mostly 60 fps. I did three playthroughs of the game, with the first at least around 250 hours and exploring every part of the map, and there is only one stormy area in one part of the map where it felt like it ever dropped below 60 fps in the PS4 version on PS5.

But yeah, I think it's easily the best game to come out in 7 years, eg since the legendary Bloodborne. God I hope that gets a (good) PS5+PC port some day.

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
Gotta warn you if your TV doesn't have HDMI 2.1 VRR, probably better to pick up the PS4 version and play on PS5 through backward compatibility. Otherwise you're going to get an inconsistent experience with lots of frame drops into the 50s and when on your horse into the high 40s. PS4 version on PS5 tradeoffs are you get checkerboard 1800p resolution (so really rendered at 1600x1800 and interpolated to 3200x1800) and lose the high grass, but it's mostly 60 fps. I did three playthroughs of the game, with the first at least around 250 hours and exploring every part of the map, and there is only one stormy area in one part of the map where it felt like it ever dropped below 60 fps in the PS4 version on PS5.

But yeah, I think it's easily the best game to come out in 7 years, eg since the legendary Bloodborne. God I hope that gets a (good) PS5+PC port some day.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. At some point, I'll probably consider picking up one of those newer 8K models that should have it, but my existing TVs don't. Depending on how long it's going to take me to get a PS5 (no idea how you guys are getting it--is there a secret handshake or something?), I may just wait until the PS5 Pro, and depending on when that may be, it may coincide with a new TV too.

Regarding Elden Ring--it's certainly my kind of game! I'm trying to play some of the other games I bought at the same time, but, as always, when I buy lots of games, there's always one where I'll keep playing and sort of ignore the rest. I can tell that Elden Ring is ultimately going to be the one, at least for now.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Wow, thanks for the heads up. At some point, I'll probably consider picking up one of those newer 8K models that should have it, but my existing TVs don't. Depending on how long it's going to take me to get a PS5 (no idea how you guys are getting it--is there a secret handshake or something?), I may just wait until the PS5 Pro, and depending on when that may be, it may coincide with a new TV too.

Regarding Elden Ring--it's certainly my kind of game! I'm trying to play some of the other games I bought at the same time, but, as always, when I buy lots of games, there's always one where I'll keep playing and sort of ignore the rest. I can tell that Elden Ring is ultimately going to be the one, at least for now.

There actually used to be a really easy way to get a PS5 from Walmart, by F5'ing to spam add to cart links for the model you wanted when they would do their drops. @purbeast0 actually showed me how to do it with one of his posts here in the PS5 thread. Could get it in your cart every single time but it took me four or five attempts before I was able to check out quickly enough to get it. Sadly Walmart patched that months ago so no idea how to get one now, but it worked amazing in February 2021 when I got mine.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's easy to get a PS5 you just have to put in the work. There was a reason I was able to get like 6 of them. I actually tried and put in the work.

The Horizon bundles have been showing up on the PS Store pretty regularly and stay in stock for like 30 mins.

Follow Wario64 on twitter.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I platinumed the game this morning in my Journey 4. I did it not on purpose as I had no hope in beating Dragonlord Placidusax in NG+4. Hes tough in a regular playthru, but I was showing my GF the huge dragon and started fighting it with my mimic and we kicked his butt and I got the last trophy and then the platinum trophy! Now on to NG+5! I am at level 329 BTW.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Trying to get a copy on PS4. Was playing it on PC using a KB/mouse and, while I could play it decently enough to get by, I can hardly say that I'm good at it. Currently stuck on my original playthrough at Castle Sol haha. My character just takes a ton of damage and I can't figure out why. Like 2 good whacks and I'm down... fml

Don't favor it over Bloodborne but I do love it. Map is fantastic, and I do enjoy getting lost in it for a few hours here and there. Maybe one day I'll finish it XD

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I had tried a bluetooth XBONE controller for the PC and just couldn't really get used to it. Not sure if my gen 1 PS4 controllers would work? I feel like I play a little bit better with those for these games.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I had tried a bluetooth XBONE controller for the PC and just couldn't really get used to it. Not sure if my gen 1 PS4 controllers would work? I feel like I play a little bit better with those for these games.
I've never tried a PS4 controller, but I know people have had success using DS4Windows or something like that.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I can't fathom playing this game without a controller. I primarily play elden ring on my ps5 but I also play on pc with the ms elite controller 2. Wish Sony had a equivalent pro controller like the Microsoft one.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I also play on pc with the ms elite controller 2.
This is how I play. I picked up an Elite 2 controller last Black Friday and have been very happy with it.
Wish Sony had a equivalent pro controller like the Microsoft one.
They actually just announced one a couple weeks ago. DualSense Edge.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I am confronting Melania on Journey 5. And she's still a PITA to beat even tho I am at level 367. I did run into an inventory issue. Being that I played it 6 times on the same save I have lost a couple of great runes. Defeated some main bosses only to go to their divinity towers to get their rune to be told I am out of space in my inventory. Empty some stuff but the rune does not reappear. Sucks.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK, in the midst of Journey 6. Man, it's pretty tough. I am super strong but the 2 Godskin Duo aholes at crumbling farum azula are kicking my ass. My mimic ash and the knight Bernahl summons are really no match. Using Sword of Milos maxxed and sacred relic sword maxxed and haven't been able to defeat them yet. Gonna try some sleeping pots tonight and see if that helps take em out.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Is it me or does the game feel different on PC vs PS4/PS5? It's really hard to put my finger on it, but unmissable the way the game feels just a bit off on PC for me vs when I play the PS4 version through BC on PS5. Almost like the camera doesn't quite catch up fast enough, and makes it feel like there is a bit of rubber banding or such when I play it on PC. Makes it feel like I'm moving through mud sometimes or something. I'm playing on an i5-12400F and RX 6700 XT which keeps the game running 1440p60 when I put a frame counter on but it just feels slightly off, like it's forcing a really bad VSync implementation or something that's maybe not working right with FreeSync? It's annoying because the game looks way superior graphically on my PC but the control just feels ever so slightly, like uncanny valley, wrong vs playing the PS4 version with BC on my PS5. Does PC version feel any different to you?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Is it me or does the game feel different on PC vs PS4/PS5? It's really hard to put my finger on it, but unmissable the way the game feels just a bit off on PC for me vs when I play the PS4 version through BC on PS5. Almost like the camera doesn't quite catch up fast enough, and makes it feel like there is a bit of rubber banding or such when I play it on PC. Makes it feel like I'm moving through mud sometimes or something. I'm playing on an i5-12400F and RX 6700 XT which keeps the game running 1440p60 when I put a frame counter on but it just feels slightly off, like it's forcing a really bad VSync implementation or something that's maybe not working right with FreeSync? It's annoying because the game looks way superior graphically on my PC but the control just feels ever so slightly, like uncanny valley, wrong vs playing the PS4 version with BC on my PS5. Does PC version feel any different to you?
I much prefer the ps5 version. The pc looks too sharp. It plays well and smooth on pc but looks and feels more "fake" to me.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Has anyone been able to play the PVP in the colosseums yet? I set my parameters and keep waiting forever to get a matchup. I have yet to get one.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Has anyone been able to play the PVP in the colosseums yet? I set my parameters and keep waiting forever to get a matchup. I have yet to get one.

Don't have PS+ so can't help you there. I had kind of hoped that there might have been Offline PvE but nope.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ugh have been doing a fourth playthrough of Elden Ring, this time with a new character on PC since I just got a 6700 XT a month and a half ago, and have just been blasting through bosses. But was wondering why I was never able to summon. Turns out I forgot to get the summoning bell and had to go buy it in the keep haha.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Was kind of surprised that the difficulty climb going to Journey 2 wasn't much... I was able to blow through the early and mid part of the game very easily. Malenia is giving me trouble though of course.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Was kind of surprised that the difficulty climb going to Journey 2 wasn't much... I was able to blow through the early and mid part of the game very easily. Malenia is giving me trouble though of course.
Wait until journey 7. I still haven't beat her on 7 and I am level 490 on one of my saves.