**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 741 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Story is definitely a thing you do once.

Also, holy cow shadow set. I have okay gear (weapon is absolutely lousy, <2K damage), and only two legendary gems (at 25 and 10) and beat a 67. Died a ton, but the damage output is insane.

Wish I had more time to develop this toon. I'll still be switching between it and UE to try and gain the tab. Just so busy.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
My most powerful character is my Shadow's Mantle Demon Hunter as well. I have a fairly nicely rolled ancient Karlei's Point. I think my gems are like 76 for Gogok and Bane of the Trapped, and something in the 40's or 50's for my Bane of the Powerful. No augments or anything. I've completed a 78, with like 13 seconds to spare (zero deaths on that one). The damage is quite good, particularly when CoE is on lightning (I'm using the lightning rune for Impale), but the best part of the build is the toughness, I'd say. I'm rolling with over 300 million toughness (seems like a lot to me), which I'm not used to, and very stout life on hit as well.

I did my first 70 GR this season with a Hammerdin though. That build felt pretty powerful, but the DH is better in just about every way, and especially so with movement.

I'd definitely try out a Shadow's Mantle DH for anyone that hasn't tried one yet. Very powerful and very easy to play. Pretty easy to gear too.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I guess they did another wave of beta invites since I got an e-mail yesterday. I'll be giving it a try when I have time today hopefully!

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
As you feel necessary, I suppose. For most people, once is enough. There used to be an alternate reason to do story mode at the beginning of each season because The Skeleton King would guarantee a Leoric's Crown drop, but I think most people get that naturally through drops in Adventure Mode, so there's no point any longer. There may be some Story Mode specific achievements you want to get done, of course. That's entirely up to you.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Haven't played in a while and just recently checked in on D3, did they change the bounty system? You use to do each Act in a certain order to get a bonus chest, not anymore?

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Haven't played in a while and just recently checked in on D3, did they change the bounty system? You use to do each Act in a certain order to get a bonus chest, not anymore?
Last patch they changed the reward so each Act is identical and equivalent to both normal and bonus chest from previous version.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Anyone been playing the necro since it's enabled again? I didnt' get an invite, but I wonder if its available on PTR???

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Anyone been playing the necro since it's enabled again? I didnt' get an invite, but I wonder if its available on PTR???
I got my invite last night and was playing the Necromancer for a couple of hours. I'm not sure it's available just on PTR or whether it's only available to allow users?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You have to be invited to play it. The Necromancer Beta Test won't even show up in your Realm Select drop-down box if you aren't invited.

I got my Necromancer to level 70, and I tried out the sets. (They give you a vendor that gives you a set for 500 blood shards.) Since I've been using a skeleton build, I decided to try out the pet set, and my goodness... it's kind of ridiculous. The 2-piece bonus is somewhat worthless as it gives your pets a chance on hit to reduce the cooldown of Army of the Dead by 1 second. The problem is that Army of the Dead isn't that great and it's on a 120 second cooldown to start with. The 4-piece bonus gives you a stacking 1% damage reduction buff whenever your pets hit something (up to 50 stacks), which is quite a nice survival buff. The only negative is that it lasts for 5 seconds, so it will usually fall off between fights.

Now, the best part is the 6-piece bonus. The 6-piece bonus gives your skeletons and army of the dead a 200% damage bonus for every Skeletal Mage that you have summoned. Skeletal Mage costs 40 essence (out of 200), so even without any regen, you can use it a decent amount. What I did was pretty much alternate between hitting Skeletal Mage and using my essence generator (Bone Spikes), which meant that I pretty much never ran out of essence and I could easily keep up 4+ mages. I also used the Skeletal Archer rune, which gave me an attack speed bonus every time the archers (they turn into archers with the rune) hit something. Now, keep in mind that if you use the Frenzy rune with Command Skeletons, you can make them deal more damage and attack faster. I was playing on Torment II, and bosses would just melt when I combined everything. I'd usually send the Skeletons in with Command Skeletons and then start summoning a couple archers. I don't think any major boss could last more than 5 seconds or so.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Story is definitely a thing you do once.

Also, holy cow shadow set. I have okay gear (weapon is absolutely lousy, <2K damage), and only two legendary gems (at 25 and 10) and beat a 67. Died a ton, but the damage output is insane.

Wish I had more time to develop this toon. I'll still be switching between it and UE to try and gain the tab. Just so busy.
Yep, that was the first set I got that suddenly had me steamrolling everything... eventually petered out somewhere in the GR60 range. But then they added the 3 knife impale to the Holy Point Shot quiver, and that got me past GR70.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Anyone else notice server lag lately? I've had quite a bit over the last few nights.
Hm, interesting... I'm playing on PS4, and even solo I've been seeing weird lag events, and last night did stand out a bit. Odd because I never saw this at all until this year (I'm running via ethernet, and confirmed one of my other local PS4 friends has seen the same issue).

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I finally got connected to the PTR for the necro beta, but I had to do a scan and repair first.

I got up to level 61 then it disconnected me...again. Can't really test stuff if I can't stay connected more than 30 minutes at a time. :/

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Read a bit of the next q&a, some of the items they through in with your purchase are 2 more character slots and 2 more stash tabs.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Read a bit of the next q&a, some of the items they through in with your purchase are 2 more character slots and 2 more stash tabs.
Yeah, and a pennant and pet as well, I believe. This was all announced when the necro was initially announced. What is still missing is the price. It will determine how quickly I purchase. I feel like they still don't know what they want to charge, they can't possibly think that withholding the price like this makes customers feel good about it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, and a pennant and pet as well, I believe. This was all announced when the necro was initially announced. What is still missing is the price. It will determine how quickly I purchase. I feel like they still don't know what they want to charge, they can't possibly think that withholding the price like this makes customers feel good about it.

I can't imagine it being any more than $10-15 as that would just be too much for a new class. I believe Reaper of Souls was $60 at launch with a new character class and a whole new story act with new areas.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'm pretty sure it was less than 60 bucks.

Also, there are the Nova missions in SC2 that are crazy overpriced for what they are.

I have no idea where the price will land, as Blizzard is not consistent in their pricing.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I got the nova pack for $15, as long as necro is no higher than that won't complain that much. Would prefer a 9.99, but oh well.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I've been digging the Necromancer recently, I have a lot of essence issues but I'm sure there are better builds than what I'm trying.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I haven't played the Necromancer beta in a while (been busy in Overwatch), but I took a look at some of the non-set items that they've introduced. I've certainly found some items that really synergize well with the summoner build. Unfortunately, the item list didn't say what slot the items are, but there's one that makes Skeletal Mage summon two instead of one and increase the duration by 1-2 seconds. That's a huge boost with the 6-piece bonus that increases the damage of skeletons for each Skeletal Mage summoned.

There were a couple more, but while I can't remember them all too well, only one other one seemed super useful.