Official Destiny Thread

Page 152 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I beat the mission/story this weekend and yeah, have a couple 505, 507 items so far, but its a slow grind now. I've been to the dreaming city, but my LL is only 502 so I get killed easily there and from what I can see, there's only one way into the city, not multiple points to go to.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Get these to speed up Destiny on Xbox
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWRRMYX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07864WMK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adding this increased ui responsiveness and load times immensely. It's insane how much better the game plays now.
Hey - do you mind sharing more details on this? D2 loads slowly on my XB1, but I always assumed it was due to Bungie's network code. Are you using a XB1 and D2 both loads and plays better? Can you quantify the difference?

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I also noticed the load times to be quite a pain.
Got the SSD enclosure and slapped in a 500 GB SSD I had laying around. It made things load up a little faster but not much initially. Now, its almost instantaneous like before. Guess it takes times for some reason, maybe caching? Highly recommended upgrade, if you can call it that.
Way to go SLAG!

Reactions: slag

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Hey - do you mind sharing more details on this? D2 loads slowly on my XB1, but I always assumed it was due to Bungie's network code. Are you using a XB1 and D2 both loads and plays better? Can you quantify the difference?

40% faster at least. It's amazing. Load times across the board are quick. Starting the game is fast, pulling up your inventory is super quick, everything is so much more responsive. HUGE difference. I was skeptical at first when people were posting this on reddit but after trying it, it is almost necessary to play this game.

Reactions: dawheat

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
40% faster at least. It's amazing. Load times across the board are quick. Starting the game is fast, pulling up your inventory is super quick, everything is so much more responsive. HUGE difference. I was skeptical at first when people were posting this on reddit but after trying it, it is almost necessary to play this game.
Cool appreciate the info

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I've been running the external SSD for a week now, and I honestly don't see that much a difference. I've a Xbox One X so I'm not sure if I'm not seeing the increase because of that or something else. I've also got Gig internet (yep.. I'm that awesome.. look at my ePenis and fear me) so I don't think I've a bandwidth issue. I do still see a ton of delays in getting into games, and whatnot. I'm pretty sure that's the code more than anything else.. I guess YMMV on this one.

Oct 20, 2005
Is there a recommended SSD for PS4? I am considering upgrading the HDD if it will help improve destiny load times. With my limited playing time, those long loading times really makes me lose interest sometimes.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is there a recommended SSD for PS4? I am considering upgrading the HDD if it will help improve destiny load times. With my limited playing time, those long loading times really makes me lose interest sometimes.

The internal interface is too slow to take real advantage of an SSD. Not worth it. I use a hybrid drive which does help some but nothing drastic. I actually play destiny on PC now though

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I've been running the external SSD for a week now, and I honestly don't see that much a difference. I've a Xbox One X so I'm not sure if I'm not seeing the increase because of that or something else. I've also got Gig internet (yep.. I'm that awesome.. look at my ePenis and fear me) so I don't think I've a bandwidth issue. I do still see a ton of delays in getting into games, and whatnot. I'm pretty sure that's the code more than anything else.. I guess YMMV on this one.

Probably not usb 3.0. What enclosure/drive did you get? close to 100% of the people on reddit where I got this tip from saw improvement, so you're not configured properly is my guess.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Probably not usb 3.0. What enclosure/drive did you get? close to 100% of the people on reddit where I got this tip from saw improvement, so you're not configured properly is my guess.

Exactly what you posted. I even went out of my way to make sure everything was 3.0.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Like I said, initially it did seem to improve only a little bit. But over time, it got faster. Nowadays, even trips to different areas come up quite fast now.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I've come to find that Gambit may be the most annoying part of this game. I keep getting a bad run of other players. While I have had some good teams, I do seem to get a lot of people that are there just to grind something. I've had people that keep running around shooting everything but not care about getting the motes. Which gets a bit frustrating when you keep maxing out at 15 and have to try and run back so the motes don't expire. The worst.. and this is happening way too often.. a ton of players literally sit in front of the invasion portal waiting for it to open. In 2 games now I've had more than one player waiting in the same match. I get that there are bounties and whatnot to grind out but man.. it's very frustrating when you're trying to play the game as it's designed.. grumble grumble..

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Best to use a LFG site in that case with a note in the description about wanting people who are willing to do it correctly.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Actually kinda like Gambit. You just go in there blasting away, running around picking up motes then going back to deposit them. I usually have a good enough team, not had any of those invader types ruining it for me. Of course, I always have a long ranged weapon handy for enemy guardians, either a pulse rifle or scout rifle to pick them off from a distance, if I see them that is.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Gambit itself is fine but like all of Bungie's single player matchmaking - it's so hit and miss. I very rarely get a competitive game in Gambit - generally it's unbalanced, though in fairness it's both ways.

I've had games where we ended with my teammates having died with 70 motes combined - just bad tactics always trying to get a large blocker.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Haven't played the expansion yet. Finally got my WoW char leveled and geared for raids so think I'll start doing some destiny this weekend.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Haven't played the expansion yet. Finally got my WoW char leveled and geared for raids so think I'll start doing some destiny this weekend.

I haven’t actually played it either. Need to finish spider man as well

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Unstalled Destiny 2 today after trying to play and realizing that the whole gear system is based on double RNG (need masterwork core to infuse stuff to high level and the change to get high level drops is still not good enough IMO from milestones) and the entire upgrade system is a dumpster fire with ridiculous farming of materials now so basically everything you use is a missmatch of crap because the stuff you actually want to use can't just be infused up since you don't have required materials which come way too slowly. So again Bungie shoots themselves in the foot with this one if you ask me. Catering too much to the no lifers I suppose. Oh well...didn't even get through the forsaken story, won't even give them the benefit of my being logged in. They took away the one thing that kept me playing the game before, the ability to bring my favorite weapons (because they look cool, sound cool, feel good, and have good stats) and replaced it with a bunch of hot garbage you use because you are forced to do so in order to keep your level up since all the stuff you really like and the outfit you spent time getting requires ridiculous amounts of mats to upgrade. It was one of the things people complained about in the first game, farming materials for upgrades and they bring that same crap back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skel

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Unless I missed something, that's just a bunch of people asking the same question and some guy oddly inserting a discussion of patrol icons.

Having played a bit now again, seems those are the icons indicating available daily and weekly quest.

I either misunderstood the question at the time, or it's the wrong link. I just googled your question and found a post on that site that had a link to a legend. Not sure if they removed it, or I just was stupid and linked the wrong page.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I know little to nothing about the Destiny games but I have it installed on my PS4. Is this worth starting from scratch at this point? I enjoy most types of games but I have a feeling I'd try to start this and get lost.