Official Colts Vs Patriots Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Kremlar
Here's a good article. A little on-sided, but facts are facts...

http://www.coldhardfootballfac...0705bradyvsmanning.php

That's a pretty good article, but comparing Brady's first 4 years to Manning's first 4 is unfair because Manning had to play a full season as a rookie, which hurt his QB rating (he had a 71.2, by far the lowest of his career).

Also, I hate it when people use team accomplishments to prove whether or not an individualis better or not. So the Patriots win more games? There are 21 other guys out on the field; the QB is the most important but not the end all, be all.

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Perknose
All I can say is, should be a game well worth watching! :thumbsup:

For sure. In my mind there are 3 teams that have the best chance of winning the super bowl: Colts, Pats, and Steelers. Nobody else has a chance.

NEPats04

Jan 11, 2005
Vanderjagt kicks off trash talk - Pats don't buy into comments
By Michael Felger
Tuesday, January 11, 2005

FOXBORO - After two straight dominant performances in the playoffs last season, Indianapolis tight end Marcus Pollard remarked that if the Colts continued to play that way, then the NFL should ``just hand us the rings.''

That seemingly innocuous comment drew little attention anywhere other than the Patriots [stats, news]' locker room, where every player was made aware of the quote. Six days later, coach Bill Belichick [news] went so far as to hold up his own 2001 Super Bowl ring during a team meeting, forcefully reminding his players that nothing is handed to you. The Pats then took apart the Colts in the AFC Championship Game.

The moral of the story is obvious: The Pats can, and will, use anything you say against you. Kicker Mike Vanderjagt is about to find that out as the teams prepare for another playoff battle Sunday at Gillette Stadium.

``I think they're not as good as the beginning of the year, not as good as last year. And I think they're beatable,'' Vanderjagt said of the Pats during a late-night television appearance in Indianapolis Sunday. ``We have to play well. There's no question about that. But I think we're going to come back (to Indianapolis) Sunday night going to the AFC title game.''

Added Vanderjagt: ``I think they're ripe for the picking.''

When apprised of the quasi-guarantee, several Pats players just smiled.

``That's great for Vanderjagt. Hopefully, he makes it the next time,'' said linebacker Willie McGinest [news], apparently referring to the game-tying field goal Vanderjagt missed at the end of the Pats' season-opening win in Foxboro. ``We don't really care about the guarantees and the stuff they're saying. They have a right to be confident. They're playing really good ball. We have all the respect for them in the world. It's going to be a dogfight.''

Linebacker Tedy Bruschi [news] showed even more perspective.

``You're asking me to comment on what a kicker said?'' asked Bruschi, laughing. ``It doesn't really concern me. OK?''

As was the case last year, the Colts will come into the game flying high following their 49-24 demolition of the Broncos Sunday. Once again, they appear to be the hot team among media and fans. Some Patriots players will use that to their advantage.

``We're the underdogs,'' McGinest said. ``And that's a great feeling, because nothing else matters. None of the Super Bowls matter. We're going into a fresh new playoff scenario where we're the underdogs. That's great. We love it. It just makes guys around here hungry to come out hard.''

Bruschi, though, didn't take the popularity of the Colts as a slight.

``People haven't seen us play in a week. But they've seen Indy blow up like they did against Denver. So that's natural,'' he said. ``They looked great on their carpet indoors against Denver. (But) that wasn't us. That wasn't Foxboro. But it will be Foxboro Sunday.''

The Pats are currently 2-point favorites, but McGinest apparently doesn't consult the Vegas line.

``They're hungry,'' he said. ``You listen to the interviews, it was obvious. They said they didn't play well last year, that if they don't win (this week) nothing else matters. . . . They sound really confident. I mean, you listen to (Reggie) Wayne talk, he said he wished he could keep his pads on, go right into Foxboro and keep playing. If that's not a sign of confidence, I don't know what is.''

As usual, the Pats will do their best not to let their confidence show.

``Because it doesn't mean anything. It's all talk,'' McGinest said. ``No games are won doing interviews. If Vanderjagt feels confident that he's guaranteeing victories and all that, that's great for him. But there are going to be a whole bunch of plays he's not going to be out there for. The rest of the guys are going to be out there dealing with it.''

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: shenaniganz

For sure. In my mind there are 3 teams that have the best chance of winning the super bowl: Colts, Pats, and Steelers. Nobody else has a chance.

The Patriots (who lost to the DOLPHINS) have a shot and the Eagles don't? Give me a break.

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Kev
Originally posted by: shenaniganz

The Patriots (who lost to the DOLPHINS) have a shot and the Eagles don't? Give me a break.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have said that nobody else has a chance. Everyone's got a chance. Just like the Browns had a very good chance to beat the Eagles but lost to them in OT.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Oh are you talking about the overtime that shouldn't have happened after a bogus roughing the QB call on 4th down gave the Brownies a second chance? Is that the one you mean? It was so long ago, my memory is kind of hazy...

Dec 27, 2001
I vote the Colts. I picked them at the beginning of the season to go all the way.

This poll needs 100% more poll!!!!!

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Its official, Peyton manning has a new daddy, and his name is Corey Dillion!

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Nah, it's Bill Belichick obviously.

I was wrong again, surprised the Pats could just shut down the colts offense, which is one of the best in history so easily. Even knowing how good the Pats are i was still surprised at what they did. Everyone's going to blame it on Petyon, but it's not his fault. Peyton's going to have to find another team if he wants to get a ring. That's not going to happen though unfortunately.

Oh, and Tedy Bruschi is the man :thumbsup: